French Birdsong

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Charles Nicol

French Birdsong

Post by Charles Nicol »

https://www.flickr.com/photos/captainca ... 38567@N24/

there seem to be two birds singing... one is a chirpy type; the other is more churring

any ideas please ?

from Aude France.
bugboy

Re: French Birdsong

Post by bugboy »

I can only hear one on the clip, the repetitive single note chirp which if I heard on my local patch I would put it down as a Willow Warbler/Chiffchaff. I think the choice of suspects would be somewhat larger where you are though.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

bugboy wrote:I can only hear one on the clip, the repetitive single note chirp which if I heard on my local patch I would put it down as a Willow Warbler/Chiffchaff. I think the choice of suspects would be somewhat larger where you are though.
thanks for those suggestions bugboy :D

the recording is not of the best :roll:

Charles

8)
John Chapple

Post by John Chapple »

Hi Charles,
I have heard very similar calls to this in Spain and once in my home county of Cornwall. they turned out to be Nightingales. As you may know they have a massive repertoire of calls including whistles and churrs. They only sing for a month or so, then, once paired up they become much more stealthy, and just use contact calls. This is what I think you have recorded. By the look of the thick bush the calls are coming from it seems perfect Nightingale habitat.

All the best
John
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

John Chapple wrote:Hi Charles,
I have heard very similar calls to this in Spain and once in my home county of Cornwall. they turned out to be Nightingales. As you may know they have a massive repertoire of calls including whistles and churrs. They only sing for a month or so, then, once paired up they become much more stealthy, and just use contact calls. This is what I think you have recorded. By the look of the thick bush the calls are coming from it seems perfect Nightingale habitat.

All the best
John
merci John !!

i am sure that your suggestion is correct. the only other churring candidate would be the nightjar ( which i have seen nearby ) but i am sure you are right.

8) 8)

Charles

Return to “Identification”