P.J.Underwood.

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
bugboy

Re: P.J.Underwood.

Post by bugboy »

The Galloways were there at the end of last year. I remember bumping into Susie and she commented that they were earlier than usual. My thinking is that the mild winter and wet spring has produced a glut of vegetation :?: Would a change in grazing regime be needed to compensate for a warming climate? I visited on the 21st and saw perhaps 6 or 7 males flying but I left just as the clouds were clearing so it probably reached the dizzy heights of double figures!

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

Good to see you posting on here again PJ. I'll bet you have a lot of material we would like to see.
Next year at Chiddingfold I will leave early !! :lol:

Very best wishes,
Trevor.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

Trevor ,
Thank you for those comments.I have not been able to do my usual butterfly trip to far off lands this year,due to the illness of my friend.However the future is looking bright.We saw two Valesina varieties in Botany Bay on Wed.17th Aug.
P.J.U.
Attachments
Silver washed frit.f.valesina
Silver washed frit.f.valesina

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Good morning, Philip.

In my opinion the image you have posted is of a 'normal' female paphia not the valesina form. The valesina form of the female is a deep olive-green instead of the usual orange-brown.

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

Sorry Mark,It just appeared to have rather a lot of green on it-like a Cardinal.
Philip

millerd

Post by millerd »

bugboy wrote:The Galloways were there at the end of last year. I remember bumping into Susie and she commented that they were earlier than usual. My thinking is that the mild winter and wet spring has produced a glut of vegetation :?: Would a change in grazing regime be needed to compensate for a warming climate? I visited on the 21st and saw perhaps 6 or 7 males flying but I left just as the clouds were clearing so it probably reached the dizzy heights of double figures!
I agree with Buggy that the weather this year is probably to blame. When I visited Denbies at the tail end of April, it looked relatively normal. I think the rampant grass growth has been since then, after the end of any winter grazing, so I don't think the regime is at fault. Denbies is not alone - Box Hill is much the same, and Aston Rowant. The grass is extremely tall. Even my local patch has dry grass stalks at eye level at the moment in the meadow areas - even the unfussy Meadow Browns don't seem happy with that.

Dave

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

P.J.Underwood wrote:Sorry Mark,It just appeared to have rather a lot of green on it-like a Cardinal.
Philip
Something to look forward to, P.J. ... when you see your first valesina your jaw will drop, your tongue fall out, etc. :) Happens to me every time ;)

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
P.J.Underwood

Chiddingfold this year

Post by P.J.Underwood »

It was just a week ago,that with Trevor,I saw two P.E.'s flying.Then Mark Colvin came along with his friend (John?) and showed us photo's from the previous Saturday,including a grounded female.Then ,from Wednesday onwards it was brilliant.We had up to four grounded at the same time,and staying.This next Monday,after a dullish weekend,they were still appearing and I saw four this morning.They were definitely very friendly,trying my boot for taste,pairing up to a Red Admiral and not being frightened off by a fox.Silver Washed Frits and White Admirals were out in large numbers.The season is boiling up in the woods.
Attachments
Two friends
Two friends
A friendly P.E.
A friendly P.E.
All I need is purple.
All I need is purple.
Getting stuck in
Getting stuck in
Come to see the P.E.'s
Come to see the P.E.'s

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

I do like the shot with the Red Admiral, Philip. It really shows off how much larger the Emperor is... :)

Dave

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote:I do like the shot with the Red Admiral, Philip. It really shows off how much larger the Emperor is
Absolutely. Red Admirals aren't exactly small, but that Emperor is a heavyweight in comparison.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Another great day Philip, they have developed a taste for shoes this year!.
I agree, the shot with the Red Admiral is amazing, if only because the RA's
are usually skittish, and could easily have panicked that lovely Emperor.

Might see you this week if the forecast improves.
Trevor.

P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

This was probably our last chance(in life) to see the Mountain Ringlet.So myself,Bill Plumb and Malcolm Greenwood set off for the Lakes in a window of what was to be three sunny days.We firstly went to Arnside Knott,where the hillside was alive with Small Pearl Border Frits. most in excellent condition.We also saw the odd Scotch Argus,and three Grayling.Later that day we went to the Large Heath area at the Osprey Centre and were rewarded with many good sightings.
The next day was the big one,Irton Fell for the Mountain Ringlet.We saw about three on the lower slopes and then had the good fortune to meet Pete Eeles coming down the Fell,who directed us to a hotspot.Reaching this,with a falling temperature and gusty wind,we were still lucky to find about another dozen,one being very photogenic.
I attach some of the photo's.
P.J.U.
Attachments
Small Pearl bordered
Small Pearl bordered
Small Pearl Bordered
Small Pearl Bordered
Scotch Argus
Scotch Argus
Large Heath
Large Heath
Large Heath
Large Heath
In the grass
In the grass
A friendly Mountain Ringlet
A friendly Mountain Ringlet

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Glad you found the Mountain Ringlet, P.J.! BTW - your "Scotch Argus" is a Northern Brown Argus :)

Cheers,

- Pete

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

Thanks Pete for sorting me out!
P.J.U.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking envy inducing post P.J. :D :mrgreen: That would have been three lifers for me :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

I'm really glad you got to see the Mountain Ringlets, PJ, if a little sad about your comments regarding it being a 'last chance'.

Great you notched up Northern Brown Argus too. Definitely a worthwhile trip.

P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

David,
Thank you for your comments.It has taken three years for the three of us to be in the right place at the right time.We have to do advance booking-that is the problem.This year we hit the jackpot.We were up there for the small window of three glorious days,and succeeded.So that is why we probably will never be in the position to do it again.There are many easier places for us to visit.
You might like to look at the post I sent to Trevor about the unusual behaviour this year of P.E.'s at Chiddingfold.
P.J.U.

Return to “Personal Diaries”