Hoggers

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Hoggers

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Hogger's guess what! I finally saw my first Copper yesterday at HLB, I'm so so pleased I think it must be the first because I've been to the same place loads of time and not seen any, you've seen so many and they've had loads of different assets :D I think the one I saw has some Blue spots as well so I'm happy with the one :lol:

I know what you mean about territory, this one flew about a lot on the flower's but still returned so the same leaf all the time, I remembered what you'd said about them and just waited for it to settle and I got some shots of it. I'm so pleased. Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Thanks for the comments Allan and Wurzel, much appreciated.

Delighted to hear your Small Copper season has finally got off the ground, Goldie! I hope you get to visit the Coppers of Dungeness when you come south for your holiday.

I had a look round this morning and there are good numbers of Coppers in fine condition
IMG_0774.JPG
Including some fresh ones
IMG_0906.JPG
IMG_0768.JPG
Sad to see this one had met with a sticky end
IMG_0793.JPG
Lots of butterflies milling about including 8 Painted Ladies
IMG_0896.JPG
I was delighted to bump into the "extensa" that I found yesterday
IMG_0827.JPG
IMG_0884.JPG
I wasn't her only admirer
IMG_0850.JPG
The Copper-O-Meter went up to 93 today
IMG_0787.JPG
IMG_0803.JPG

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Really great Copper's Hogger's fingers crossed we'll pay a visit to Dungeness next week :D Goldie :D

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

You've picked a good time to visit Dungeness,Goldie. Although the second brood is in decline,fresh Small Coppers are now appearing in ever increasing numbers.

I've watched the second brood as it passed its height in numbers and also noted how the condition of the butterflies deteriorated.

Since last thursday I've seen the number of fresh Coppers gradually increase. This morning of the 107 that I counted 22 were fresh, so there's a new batch of Small Coppers emerging now (There's a definite gap between the first and the second brood but from then onwards the Small Coppers of Dungeness seem to be continuously brooded)

When you visit Dungeness you'll find a mix of Old Bangers
IMG_0956.JPG
Coppers in fair nick
IMG_0931.JPG
IMG_0972.JPG
Coppers in good condition
IMG_0974.JPG
And absolute Show Room condition models
IMG_0921.JPG
These two were stunning: both freshly minted and both Blue Badgers.

I saw plenty of Copper behaviour such as females rebuffing males, stalk dances and males in combat
IMG_0946.JPG
IMG_0948.JPG
The newly minted Copper is a wonderful sight
IMG_0952.JPG
IMG_0928.JPG
IMG_0964.JPG
IMG_0979.JPG
IMG_0988.JPG
But there's always plenty to enjoy no matter what condition they're in
IMG_0992.JPG
IMG_1005.JPG
IMG_1012.JPG

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Although there are many second brood Small Coppers still at Dungeness
IMG_1071.JPG
IMG_1133.JPG
There's been a definite emergence of fresh ones over the last few days
IMG_1101.JPG
IMG_1108.JPG
IMG_1059.JPG
IMG_1015.JPG
IMG_1036.JPG
I did a shortened version of my usual walk this morning
IMG_1092.JPG
Of the 69 Small Coppers that I saw 13 were fresh
IMG_1040.JPG
I came across this interesting female
IMG_1125.JPG
She was worn but also noticeably smaller than a typical female and her forewing pattern with an array of spots close to the wing edge was striking
IMG_1131.JPG
Good numbers of Gatekeepers, Meadow Brown, Brown Argus, Common Blue and several Painted Ladies too
IMG_1061.JPG

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Dungeness this morning was sunny and very warm
IMG_1145.JPG
Of the 92 Small Coppers that I saw today I counted 24 fresh ones
IMG_1151.JPG
This time last year on my usual walk I'd count around 40 of them, so you can see how well the Dungeness Small Coppers have done this season.

Brown Argus and Common Blues are also present in high numbers
IMG_1193.JPG
One Copper I've been watching has held the same territory for at least 7 days
IMG_1197.JPG
Whenever I see a group of butterflies, Meadow Browns for example, having an aerial punch-up I am sure to find a Small Copper there in the thick of it!
IMG_1159.JPG
IMG_1174.JPG
Over the last few days I've seen both Red Admiral and Small Tortoiseshell being biffed by a male Small Copper and moved on to another flower-head
IMG_1189.JPG
Real scrappers!
IMG_1176.JPG
Good to see so many fresh ones coming thorough
IMG_1142.JPG
IMG_1165.JPG
IMG_1179.JPG

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Hoggers.

Dungeness really does sound like a different country, almost a different world, to what it is like around here. I must get down there one of the days for a look around.

Cheers,

Neil.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Do come down and visit, Neil : it's well worth it!

This morning I counted 55 Small Coppers at Dungeness of which 28 were fresh
IMG_1277.JPG
IMG_1259.JPG
IMG_1248.JPG
IMG_1202.JPG
IMG_1204.JPG
To me they all seem to be different
IMG_1220.JPG
IMG_1222.JPG
And I never get tired of seeing them
IMG_1255.JPG
I loved the glossy sheen on this one
IMG_1258.JPG
The Ragwort is a great attraction
IMG_1231.JPG
IMG_1236.JPG
IMG_1263.JPG
There are high numbers of Common Blue, Brown Argus, Gatekeeper, Meadow Brown and now I'm seeing encouraging numbers of Small Tortoiseshell, Red Admiral, Peacock and Painted Lady too....

Slightly distracted there! I'm no expert on aviation but I think a Lancaster Bomber flanked on each side by Spitfires just flew over my house!

Whatever they were, they're quite a sight! Wow!

And talking of Spitfires, I also found a nice fresh Sooty Copper
IMG_1276.JPG

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

The mystery aeroplanes circled back over my house so I grabbed a camera and got this photo from the bedroom window
P1070040.JPG
ID,anyone?!

Hoggers

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi Paul,

That's the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight comprising a Spitfire, Lancaster and Hurricane, presumably associated with the Eastbourne International Airshow this weekend. http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/theaircraft/

Vince

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Thanks for the ID, Vince : I think just about any question could be asked on this forum and there'd be someone with an answer!

Looking at the Lancaster as it flew away reminded me of this Small Copper
IMG_1323.JPG
(I haven't noticed the bluish tinge above the body before but it's very attractive.)

It was glorious at Dungeness today. I counted 58 Coppers on my walk
IMG_1393.JPG
24 of these were fresh
IMG_1348.JPG
Still a good number of the second brood hanging on
IMG_1313.JPG
IMG_1369.JPG
This male caught my eye: he's clearly worn, but look how thick and dark the wing tips are:
IMG_1387.JPG
Very striking.

I noticed how the Gatekeepers are in decline but also how numerous the Common Blues and Brown Argus are still, and I also saw 5 Painted Ladies
IMG_1371.JPG
And three fresh Small Heaths.

But so far as the Small Coppers are concerned, they're numbers are now just about what I'd expect for August
IMG_1283.JPG
After this year's bumper second brood things have settled down
IMG_1364.JPG
But there's always plenty going on in the Small Copper World
IMG_1407.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

Can you send a few of these Small Coppers to the rest of us please, Hoggers? I've personally observed fewer than two dozen all year and that probably puts me in the top twenty in the league table! :(

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

I've seen reports in both local and national newspapers highlighting the decline in our Small Copper population, David: I hope Butterfly Conservation & Co have their experts working on a solution.

It was a case of Extreme Coppering at Dungeness this morning, blowing a gale but nonetheless plenty of sunshine and about 20C.

The Small Coppers of Dungeness have had an exceptionally good year and I'm happy to report that the third brood is now very much under weigh
IMG_1553.JPG
IMG_1416.JPG

My Copper-O-Meter detected no less than 86 today
IMG_1455.JPG
IMG_1479.JPG
An excellent total for this time of year
IMG_1497.JPG
IMG_1459.JPG
And especially heartening given that on windy days I always see far fewer than when it's calm
IMG_1502.JPG
Of the 86 counted 59 were fresh
IMG_1506.JPG
IMG_1517.JPG
So we've reached the point where fresh third brooders significantly out number the tired second brooders
IMG_1540.JPG
I've mentioned before that I am fascinated by the way Small Coppers behave. A short while ago I watched a male flattening himself to the pebbles
IMG_9650.JPG
This is something I've never seen before. Conditions on that day were warm with a slight breeze. I could only guess that although the breeze was light he was nonetheless trying to avoid it. I don't know if he continued to behave in this way through the rest of his life but his novel behaviour has not caught on: in today's high wind the Coppers were doing what they usually do, sitting down with wings up and closed or slightly open
IMG_1532.JPG
I love to watch the males in combat
IMG_1508.JPG
Slowing down the action by photographing them just makes me appreciate their skill and agility all the more
IMG_1509.JPG
So now the third brood is in full flow
IMG_1460.JPG
hopefully there's a lot more to look forward to!
IMG_1546.JPG
IMG_1469.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Beautiful Coppers Hogger's, sorry we didn't get to Dungeness to see them, when my Husband hurt is head the first day here that put traveling too far on it's head so to speak as well, at least I did see a Copper before I left home so I'll have to be satisfied with that, unless I find another when I get home :D Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A stunning array of Coppers Hoggers :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Do you ever calculate the proportion of blue badgers to normal coppers as that form seems quite well represented in your postings?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Goldie,from all that I've heard recently about the national scarcity of Small Coppers I think tracking down one of your very own is a far greater achievement than seeing them at Dungeness where it's hard not to step on one! It's a shame that you couldn't visit though because I'm sure you'd have loved it here, but a concussed husband takes priority!

I have in the past attempted to record my Blue Badgers, Wurzel, however, I'm a bear of very little brain and I soon ran into trouble with categorisation : no trouble with a Copper in possession of a full set of blue badges, but then I'd find one with just a slight smudge of blue, or the vaguest suggestion of blue badges, and I'd not know whether to include them or not!

I can say that it's the most common form of aberration amongst the Small Coppers here and that it's in the later broods that it appears most often.

Today for example, when the weather for Coppering was far from ideal, I came across a fully paid up member of the Small Copper Blue Badge Club
IMG_1641.JPG
IMG_1644.JPG
Then another with less distinct badges
IMG_1651.JPG
And another with just slight blue badges
IMG_1609.JPG
All I can say is that if you visit the second brood onwards at Dungeness you'll all but be certain to find one.

I find the darker models interesting ( I call them "Sooty Coppers" )
IMG_1594.JPG
IMG_1676.JPG
Compare a typical individual
IMG_1590.JPG
with a Sooty
IMG_1595.JPG
It looks as if the bright copper colour in these butterflies has been over-laid with dark scales.

My Copper-O-Meter scored 85 today
IMG_1611.JPG
IMG_1664.JPG
Just 10 were older Coppers
IMG_1628.JPG
The rest were from the fresh third brood
IMG_1599.JPG
IMG_1622.JPG
IMG_1626.JPG
I indulged in my favourite past-time of watching the males do combat
IMG_1670.JPG
IMG_1672.JPG
IMG_1673.JPG
Great fun!

I bumped into Allan and his family in the moat on a Copper Hunt of their own - Good to see you as always Allan
IMG_1681.JPG
Another great morning of Coppering
IMG_1661.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

I'm highly envious of you, Hoggers (as, I presume, are most on this forum).

This is supposed to be a common butterfly but it has been doing a very good impression of a scarce one for the last few years.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

At least we know they're safe here, David : they've had the good sense to make their home in a world famous nature reserve!

It was glorious at Dungeness today with wall to wall sunshine and no wind to speak of. We are now seeing the benefit of this year's massive second brood: today I counted 121 Small Coppers
IMG_1686.JPG
IMG_1716.JPG
My usual totals for this time of year are around half that number
IMG_1709.JPG
IMG_1747.JPG
IMG_1748.JPG
A few Old Timers
IMG_1751.JPG
But most are new
IMG_1757.JPG
IMG_1753.JPG
I was delighted to come upon a gorgeous female radiata
IMG_1846.JPG
IMG_1839.JPG
In addition to being a radiata she also has the merest suggestion of a blue badge too
IMG_1860.JPG
She was very placid indeed and strongly favoured one particular clump of Ragwort : Even after being pursued by lusty young males she would return to the same flowers to nectar
IMG_1883.JPG
Beautiful
IMG_1889.JPG
I was also found the wackiest Small Copper I have ever seen. I first noticed this strange customer because of the left forewing: some kind of damage (presumably caused when emerging from the chrysalis) and also just two spots
IMG_1773.JPG
But then, to my complete astonishment, I saw as it turned that the right forewing had the usual number of spots
IMG_1777.JPG
And also that the right hindwing had blue badges!

It looks like someone has stuck the right and left halves of two different Coppers together to make one butterfly!
IMG_1779.JPG
I can only think that it must be a gynandromorphic Small Copper. I would welcome the help of our experts on this one!

So the Dungeness Small Coppers continue to amaze and astonish
IMG_1725.JPG
IMG_1908.JPG

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Some great finds and photos in that last post Hoggers :D :mrgreen:

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Your right Hogger's but we don't get the lovely specimens and ab's like you do, great photo's :mrgreen: Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”