Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
bugboy

Re: Pauline

Post by bugboy »

Hi Pauline, your mystery bird is I think a Song Thrush :)

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Easy mistake to make, Pauline. There aren't many Song Thrushes left these days!!! :(

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Buggy and David. I really should have known what it was as I do get them in the garden but it was at quite a distance and at a funny angle - well, that's my excuse anyway :wink:

Painted Ladies and Ladies Tresses were the targets today and Noar Hill delivered on both counts, although the former was quite unapproachable:
P1910487ad.jpg
P1910473ad.jpg
P1910495ad.jpg
P1910464ad.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The Painted Lady may have been hard to approach but you still got some great shots Pauline. Also good to see the success with the Brostreaks :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Wurzel. I've been lucky with the Brown Hairstreaks this year - or so I keep getting told :D

Today I had a lovely walk in glorious sunshine on Thorney Island. There were dozens and dozens of White butterflies, mostly Small and a fair few very fresh Green-veined, but other than that there was very little on the wing - apart from a few Meadow Browns, 3 male Common Blue and 3 Small Heath. Not a whiff of a Brimstone, not even a glimpse of a Red Admiral; not much to show for 2 hours:
P1910540ad.jpg
P1910530ad.jpg
P1910528ad.jpg
P1910545ad.jpg
Naturally, my attention turned to the birds, the first to catch my interest being this Heron:
P1910514ad.jpg
These other little birds are familiar to me as I saw them last year:
P1910548ad.jpg
P1910553ad.jpg
I believe the following are Whitethroats as I have seen these before too in various locations (male and female?):
P1910557ad.jpg
P1910561ad.jpg
Yesterday I had the pleasure of Mike and Ros' company and Mike was kind enough to explain to me how to identify a Spotted Flycatcher. Based on what he told me about their behaviour I hope I am right in thinking that I saw one (actually quite a few) today?
P1910555ad.jpg
I think I may also have come across some Angelica too but this is another new one to me :oops:
P1910564ad.jpg
An interesting walk despite the lack of butterfly species:
P1910531d.jpg

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Some nice pictures of the Whites there Pauline :) . Regarding your birdie pictures, you have some Wheatears sitting on the sign, you're right about those Whitethroats although not sure about sex, they'll all be looking rather scruffy this time of year as just coming through their moult ready for the long journey to Africa. Your 'Flycatcher' is I believe a Pipit of some sort (Meadow or Wood most likely), note the rather long hind claws typical of Pipits (and also Larks). Spotted Flycatchers look greyer, have shorter black legs and the spotting is less bold. :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I'm afraid my tuition was inadequate, Pauline! I think your bird is a Meadow Pipit! It's a good time for looking for Spotted Flycatchers, though. I photographed this one at Lough Down a few years ago while searching for Adonis Blues:
SpottedFlycatcher.jpg
Note the upright stance and it's habit of sallying forth to catch a fly and then returning to the same perch.

Mike

millerd

Post by millerd »

Nice photos of the Whites, Pauline. I find they are pretty well the trickiest of all to photograph (excepting Wall Browns... :( ), and you've got some good ones there. :)

Dave

David M

Post by David M »

Must admit, Pauline, in spite of this year being largely grim for butterflies, Whites DO seem to be very common right now. Long may this continue.

Thanks for the avian images by the way. Always nice to see a few of our feathered friends in amongst the butterflies.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Nothing wrong with your tuition Mike but I fear your pupil has a few problems :lol: :oops: I was so pleased with myself as I thought I'd found one :roll: In fact, I still think I saw some unless the Meadow Pipit sits on the edge of a branch and dives out for flies, returning to the same place. Trouble was, it was a good way off and by the time I 'found' the bird in the viewfinder ...... well, I think I may have taken a photo of the wrong bird :roll:

Cheers Dave - appreciate that, thank you. I haven't actually seen a Wall this season but a male has been spotted in Gosport. Still trying to decide whether to have a look for it.

Glad you like the bird photos David - pity I don't know what so many of them are :roll: :oops:

Thank you for the ID's Buggy and the added information. To save making a fool of myself in the future perhaps I should send the shots direct to you first for confirmation of ID :lol:

I haven't posted for a little while but I have been out and about primarily looking for Clouded Yellows. Well, I've seen them at 3 sites now and failed to get any shots. It says something when I end up taking photos of flies!!! I really don't like flies, but this one, well, I just couldn't ignore the vibrant colours:
P1910638ad.jpg
Lots and lots of Brown Argus at Beacon Hill this morning including this male and female:
P1910641ad.jpg
P1910643ad.jpg
A mating pair of Meadow Brown disappeared into thin air as I glanced at the settings on my camera but at least this Small Tortoiseshell stayed just long enough for the one shot. Very windy up there today:
P1910644ad.jpg
Last week I was passing Oxenbourne so, despite the rain which was getting quite heavy, I decided to pull over and check the DGF egg. It had hatched but that was about as much as I could see as everything was drenched. The female Chalkhill looks like she is bathed in a golden glow from the setting sun, whereas in fact she is hunkered down in dead grass trying to stay dry:
P1910592ad.jpg
P1910606ad.jpg

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Pauline, hope you have more luck with the Clouded yellow's than I did, I didn't even see one :D
It's poured with rain again here today tomorrow seems okay though, I'm going to pop over to HLB to see if I can find another Copper, I'd love to see a Peacock I've not seen any this Summer so far. Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great fly shots Pauline :D There are some days when you're thankful for anything that lands in front of your lens - I've had plenty of those this year :roll: :lol: Keep trying with the Cloudies and one will give in eventually :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Goldie. Good luck with your sightings and the weather!

I really am trying with the Clouded Yellows Wurzel - another one seen at yet another site today and still no shots! :( . This is like some long, drawn out kind of torment :evil:

I was undecided where to go today. I could have gone to Gosport to look for the Wall that was seen. I could have gone to OWH to see Adonis, SSS and hopefully Clouded Yellow. In the end, because it is just so hot, I decided to head for Hayling Island. The place I had in mind was where I saw my first ever Long-tailed Blue (thanks to Mark). It is a small, scrubby car park but the nectar sources there seem to attract all sorts. I was dismayed when I arrived as just about all the vegetation had been mowed down. I thought I'd take a quick look anyway as it is a sheltered little corner with a variety of bushes bordering it. I was delighted to see a Painted Lady, well camouflaged on the gravel, and although I couldn't get close, it didn't go far. Each time I tried to get close it flew another few yards and so after a few attempts I gave up and looked to see what else was around.
P1910661ad.jpg
Something small and orange caught my eye - a Small Copper :D :D I've only seen 3 this season so I was quite excited, even though it was a bit worn. I took a few shots before being a bit distracted by a Holly Blue, the first of several. I wondered over towards the sailing club and noticed this Little Egret which I initially thought was injured (I never realised they sat like that). However, as I drew closer it was clear that all was well:
P1910664ad.jpg
P1910667ad.jpg
As I walked back towards the car park I saw another Small Copper and she seemed to be looking for somewhere to egg lay but she flew over a hedge and I lost her. Back in the car park - this little scrubby area - more butterflies revealed themselves - Common Blues (carefully checked for tails :lol: ), Meadow Brown, Small Whites.... but no Clouded Yellow. However, another Small Copper appeared. This one was really fresh and as I kneeled down on the gravel another Small Copper joined her. Before I could even switch on the camera they were mating :shock: :D . Not only had I just seen more Small Coppers than I have seen in the whole season but here was something I had never seen before:
P1910678ad.jpg
I was a bit concerned as they were in a very vulnerable position. Walkers, dogs and even cars come through this area. When a family came through with 4 dogs I decided to move the butterflies to a safer place. I carefully transferred them to a branch and then carried them to the hedge, where I placed them safely behind the fence in the shrubbery (out of the wind too). I wanted to see how long it would be before they went their separate ways but after 55 minutes I had to leave and they were as I left them.
P1910693ad.jpg
P1910713ad.jpg
Next stop was the Hayling Billy Line, on the way home. Lots of Whites here, Holly Blues too and even a fair sprinkling of Small Heath:
P1910733d.jpg
P1910728d.jpg
I had walked all the way up the track and was on my way back when there it was - right in front of me on some Fleabane, a gorgeous Clouded Yellow. I was just about to take the shot when some cyclists came by and it flew off right across the fields. I waited a while but it didn't come back. Just had to console myself with the Heron whilst I was waiting:
P1910745ad.jpg
P1910747ad.jpg
I SHALL get that Clouded Yellow shot!!! :lol: :roll: ... but not sure where I'll try next!

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Pauline, just had confirmation about the BH's at Gait Barrow and the news is positive , they are at GB :lol:
Now I've to try and get up there. Goldie :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I can tell that you're just soooooo excited about that news Goldie - and so you should be! Great Painted Lady - I'd be happy with one of them in my garden :D

I've just had a smashing couple of hours with great folk in ridiculous weather conditions. Scampering up and down steep hills nearly finished me off in these extreme temperatures but at last!!!! OWH delivered the goods with at LEAST half a dozen Clouded Yellows (others were inclined to think more):
P1910752ad.jpg
Silver Spotted Skippers were numerous on the same bank (well, compared to Oxenbourne) and getting a few shots was a comparative doddle:
P1910760ad.jpg
P1910781ad.jpg
Ern was quick to spot a pair of Adonis and called us over:
P1910824ad.jpg
There were quite a few mating pairs of Chalkhills around and as we made our way back up the steep bank I nearly stood on this pair of Small Heath:
P1910834ad.jpg
Back at the pub (the only sensible place to be in these temperatures) I sat with a cool drink and watched a Green-veined White engrossed in egg-laying at our feet on violet:
P1910851ad.jpg
Now, where was that Wall Brown?? :lol:
Last edited by Pauline on Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Clouded Yellow conquered at last, Pauline. Lovely shot !.
This weather might bring a lot more over, and extend the season.

Best wishes,
Trevor.

David M

Post by David M »

Glad to see you got in on the Clouded Yellow act, Pauline. With any luck, they'll make their way to Wales soon.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi Pauline : after 55 minutes they were still coupled?!?

That's amazing! The longest I've recorded is 22 minutes.

I guess they liked each other an awful lot !

Best wishes

Hoggers

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Hoggers

I have checked back at the photos I took of the mating pair. The time from the first shot to the last (when they were still coupled) was 56 mins. Allow a few minutes either side - as I didn't dash off straight away - and I'd say it was over an hour. If I'd known it was perhaps unusual I would have made a point of staying to record the end time. How many pairs have you timed?

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi Pauline, every pair I've ever come upon I've timed from the moment of finding until separation. I'd say I've seen around 15 to 20 in total and 22 minutes is the longest I've ever recorded, so your pair beat all that I've ever seen!
They're so vulnerable when mating ( I remember once having to chase off a spider that was taking an unhealthy interest in one pair ) that I thought 22 minutes was risky indeed- so an hour is borderline suicidal!
I wonder if any one who has bred Small Coppers has noted how long they remain coupled?
Lovely photos as always, Pauline!

Hoggers

Return to “Personal Diaries”