Katrina

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Katrina

Re: Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Wurzel, I don't mind the name it's short and snappy.
Thank you David, enjoyed your brostreaks I've yet to see one down from a tree this year.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Wurzel wrote:....... it really deserves a better name .....
Perhaps Wurzel would prefer "Golden Marbled Butterfly, with Black Eyes", taken from Pete's splendid list of vernacular names

The only problem I foresee is that, if you try to call someone over to see this GMBwithBE, it will have flown before you get it all out :)

Lovely shot, Katrina.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you and good point about the short name Mike :lol:

Katrina

Mist and Dew

Post by Katrina »

This morning I went to Chantry early. I could only stay for an hour. There was reduced visibility due to a blanket of mist. I found a dew covered Brown Argus, Meadow Brown and Silver-spotted skipper.
Attachments
DSC03294.jpg
DSC03356.jpg

Katrina

Extra photo

Post by Katrina »

Extra photo added
Attachments
DSC03360.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Absolutely cracking shots Katrina, little bejewelled beauties :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Many thanks Wurzel, they are certainly pretty little butterflies.

David M

Post by David M »

I must start thinking about being out in the field before the dew has evaporated!

Lovely shots, Katrina. The insects looks denuded yet abnormally natural at the same time when covered in moisture.

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you David, I swing from thinking they look beautiful with dew and thinking they look a bit sad.

Katrina

Brown Argus Morning

Post by Katrina »

I went to Chantry Hill later than planned this morning. Meadow Browns kept flying past and into the grass. Later I saw Small Heaths then found some Brown Argus and Common Blues and an occasional Chalkhill Blue. I also found a caterpillar I was hoping someone could identify for me. I was also intrigued to see an arrow on the path pointing in to some trampled long grass but followed it and didn't spot anything.
On the way home I briefly stopped at Anchor Bottom then Beeding Cement Works. In the lane to Anchor Bottom I found a Comma, Small Tortoiseshell and Painted Lady. There I found 2 Clouded Yellows, many Brown Argus , a few Common Blues a well as Meadow Browns and Small Heaths. At Beeding Cement Works (the briefest of stops walking round the everlasting pea three times) , a Common Blue flew off the everlasting pea and a Meadow Brown was nearby.
Attachments
DSC03457.jpg
DSC03517.jpg
DSC03532.jpg
DSC03564.jpg
DSC03574.jpg
DSC03615.jpg
DSC03630.jpg
DSC03642.jpg

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

My sister pointed this article out to me re Large Blues

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-37203171

trevor

Post by trevor »

Lovely Clouded Yellow image ( I had some success with them yesterday ). The Painted Lady too is a cracker.
You are sure that was a Common Blue the flew up at the cement works !?. :lol:

Best wishes,
Trevor.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Trevor got there before me Katrina! Those last 2 shots are great, but y'know what, I keep coming back to that Brown Argus because it is so different and so artistic. Really like it :D :D

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Trevor, absolutely sure was not a LTB, I knew it was the wrong colour blue but chased it down to see the spots on the underwing when it landed just in case.
Thank you Pauline, I was lucky the Brown Argus stayed still for me.

millerd

Post by millerd »

That is a lovely female Clouded Yellow, Katrina. Exactly the shot I dream of getting, but never have. Brilliant. :) :mrgreen:

Dave

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Millerd, the image was taken from a distance and heavily cropped as they were hot and supercharged by the time I arrived.

Katrina

Mill Hill

Post by Katrina »

I had two trips to Mill Hill today, one for an hour before taking my car in for service and MOT and as it was so nice I went back immediately after.
On the first trip I found Adonis Blues, Chalkhill Blues and Common Blues as well as Small Heaths, Meadow Browns and 2 Clouded Yellows. There was a lot of dew around and it was quite slippy.
When I came back I also found some whites and one Red Admiral. I decided I really should try and work out my whites so took some photos. The first in flight is GVW and I think the second is a Small White but would be grateful for confirmation. I also had fun watching a caterpillar, particularly when a bee landed on its flower. I would be grateful if anyone can ID the caterpillar. (will put in a separate post)
Attachments
DSC03744.jpg
DSC03881.jpg
DSC03917.jpg
DSC03922.jpg

Katrina

Caterpillar and Bee

Post by Katrina »

The caterpillar seemed to mainly stay in a loop and then did a snake impression a couple of times. A bee then landed and it looks as though was on top of it briefly but all was well in the end. Wish I had been videoing at that point rather than taking photos - would have been good to see a slo-mo.
Attachments
DSC03928.JPG
DSC03936.JPG
DSC03938.jpg
DSC03939.jpg
DSC03943.jpg
DSC03944.jpg
DSC03972.jpg

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Catching up on posts Katrina, I love the Clouded Yellow shot :mrgreen:
Your still finding loads of Butterflies Katrina and taking lovely shots of them :D nothing at all here it feels more like November Butterfly wise. Goldie :)

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Goldie, summer came late for us down south. I suspect won't be finding butterflies for much longer so am trying to make the most of it!

Return to “Personal Diaries”