Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Neil Freeman

Post by Goldie M »

Beautiful Sunset Neil and your Holly Blue shots are fantastic :mrgreen: just wish I could see one :( Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks for the comments David, Wurzel and Goldie, appreciated as always :D

Catch up time again after my latest little trip.

August 2nd - 5th Arnside.

On Tuesday (August 2nd ) Jane and myself set out up the M6 for a few days stopping at Arnside for our third visit there this year, the first and second being when we stopped there for a couple of nights on the way to and from Scotland at the beginning of June. The timing of this visit of course was to see Scotch Argus on Arnside Knot.

The weather forecast did not look very promising and when we arrived at our B&B on Tuesday afternoon it was under grey skies and drizzle. Nevertheless, after settling in I decided to go up the Knot to stretch my legs after the drive and have a look around. Although it was cloudy with an intermittent drizzle, the air temperature was in the high teens and I soon saw a few Meadow Browns and Gatekeepers and making my way up to the usual spots found a few Scotch Argus flapping about. I have noticed before that, despite what some books say, Scotch Argus will happily fly in cloudy conditions as long as it is warm enough. I have also read that as soon as a cloud covers the sun they will drop into the grass but here they were still flying in full overcast and a slight drizzle. Admittedly not many were out in the conditions but it was not hard to put a load more up just by walking through the grass. After an hour or so the drizzle turned to proper rain and a stiff wind blew up so I returned to the B&B to chill out for a bit and get ready to go out for a meal.

Wednesday started off with very similar weather so we decided to go around to RSPB Leighton Moss where we spent the morning in the hides. After lunch it brightened up a bit so I went back up the Knot again. Although a bit brighter, a blustery wind had blown up from the north-west which could really be felt on the more exposed scree slopes above the car park. In the more sheltered glades and clearings the Scotch Argus were out in greater numbers than the previous afternoon along with Meadow Browns, Gatekeepers, a few Speckled Woods and the odd tatty Ringlet although everything was keeping low down to avoid being swept off in the wind.

Thursday (August 4th) looked more promising with a cloudy morning clearing to sunny spells in the afternoon and with the wind dropping, so after a bit of a leisurely morning which involved a nice cream tea for elevenses I was back up the Knot again on the afternoon. The Scotch Argus were out in good numbers although it has to be said there were dozens rather than the hundreds that I have seen here on previous visits a couple of years back.

The same can be said for the Meadow Browns and Gatekeepers which were both flying in good numbers albeit both species in lower numbers than I am used to seeing here. Other butterflies were also noticeably down in numbers with only Speckled Woods seeming to be doing reasonably well. A couple of Fritillaries came close enough to ID as worn and faded High Browns but apart from these, a few Small Skippers, a couple of passing whites and singles of Brimstone, Red Admiral, Comma and Common Blue were the only other butterflies seen on what was a reasonable afternoon weatherwise.

Last year I came here in the last week of July and the Scotch Argus were just starting and I only saw approximately 20-30, all males. This year I aimed for a week later and found both males and females in good numbers but with most showing varying amounts of wear and tear. That’s the vagaries of our seasons for you.
Arnside 08.16 103 resize.JPG
Arnside 08.16 227 resize.JPG
Arnside 08.16 287 resize.JPG
Arnside 08.16 301 resize.JPG
Arnside 08.16 311 resize.JPG
Arnside 08.16 326 resize.JPG
Arnside 08.16 413 resize.JPG
Arnside 08.16 439 resize.JPG
Arnside 08.16 476 resize.JPG
Arnside 08.16 485 resize.JPG
Male underside
Male underside
In truth I found the Knot to be a lot quieter than I have been used to in the past, particularly two or three years ago. The past couple of seasons have apparently been dull and wet up here and with this year being a generally poor one again this area is in need of a good season to help things recover.

A few more photos of the other species to follow…

Bye for now,

Neil.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic stuff Neil - looking forward to the other species shots as well :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

I think it's a poor season everywhere , Neil! But at least you got to see the Scotch Argus this year, and it's a pleasure to see the pictures. :)

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks for the comments Wurzel and Mark, a few more shots from the trip coming up...

August 2nd - 5th Arnside part 2.

As previously posted, I saw a few other species during the trip but overall numbers were down quite significantly compared to my previous visits here, most notably 3 years ago as described on page 32 of this diary.

There were loads of Gatekeepers about, mostly looking tired and faded. I have noticed on previous visits here and again on this trip that a lot of these Gatekeepers are noticeably smaller than those I get back home.
Gatekeeper male - Arnside 03.08.2016
Gatekeeper male - Arnside 03.08.2016
Gatekeeper female - Arnside 04.08.2016
Gatekeeper female - Arnside 04.08.2016
Speckled Woods seemed to be doing reasonable well with good numbers scattered about all over the Knot.
Speckled Wood - Arnside 03.08.2016
Speckled Wood - Arnside 03.08.2016
Speckled Wood - Arnside 04.08.2016
A fair number of Small Skippers were seen darting about,
Small Skipper - Arnside 04.08.2016
Small Skipper - Arnside 04.08.2016
No Essex skippers here yet but given that Small Skippers are a fairly recent arrival and there were no Gatekeepers here either just a few years ago, then I wonder how long until they also arrive. Speckled Wood and Comma are also fairly recent arrivals in these parts, sometime in the 1980s or 90s I believe when both species enjoyed an expansion of range northward.

Singles of Comma, Red Admiral and Brimstone were also seen on the Thursday (4th August) afternoon,
Comma - Arnside 04.08.2016
Comma - Arnside 04.08.2016
Red Admiral - Arnside 04.08.2016
Red Admiral - Arnside 04.08.2016
Brimstone - Arnside 04.08.2016
Brimstone - Arnside 04.08.2016
Both Dark Green and High Brown Fritillaries can be seen flying here at this time of year although it is late in the season for both species and they are often worn and faded by now. Indeed, I saw a couple of fresh DGFs here back in early June when we stayed here on our way back from Scotland a full two months ago. During our stay here this time I saw a few Fritillaries flying about on the Thursday afternoon when the weather was quite reasonable but only two came close enough to identify. Both turned out to be High Browns, one of which really was looking worse for wear but flying around vigorously still.
High Brown Fritillary - Arnside 04.08.2016
Also of note were the number of Cinnabar Moth caterpillars on the numerous yellow ragwort plants that were all over the Knot,
Cinnabar Moth caterpillars - Arnside 03.04.2016
Cinnabar Moth caterpillars - Arnside 03.04.2016
Although the butterflies are my prime reason for visiting this area, it is also good for birds which Jane is more interested in. We often visit RSPB Leighton Moss and have described the birds that we usually see there in previous reports. This time we stayed in a B&B right in Arnside and our room looked out over the Kent Estuary where we could see Curlews, Greenshanks and Oystercatchers on the sandbanks when the tide went out. Too far away for photos with my FZ200 but good views through binoculars.

On the Thursday evening I was enjoying a tipple and watching the sun go down over the estuary and was captivated by the change in light as it reflected off the water and went from a silvery hue to a rich coppery gold colour...
Evening light over the Kent Estuary
Evening light over the Kent Estuary
Shortly after the previous photo
Shortly after the previous photo
A beautiful part of the world, I fully intend to return many times.

Bye for now,

Neil.

David M

Post by David M »

Neil Freeman wrote:On the Thursday evening I was enjoying a tipple and watching the sun go down over the estuary and was captivated by the change in light as it reflected off the water and went from a silvery hue to a rich coppery gold colour...
One of the coincidental joys of being a butterfly enthusiast! It takes you to beautiful places to witness divine spectacles you wouldn't otherwise see.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Yes David, we certainly get to see some beautiful areas travelling around to see butterflies :D

Saturday 6th August

It has been a strange week for me with me seeming to be busy most evenings but I don't really know why and I intended to post this little report days ago but somehow haven't managed to find the time until tonight. Perhaps I am slowly slipping into a Wurzel time warp :wink: :lol:

Anyway. last Saturday afternoon I went around to my local spot at Bickenhill near Solihull for a couple of hours to see what was about. It was a nice afternoon with plenty of sun with the occasional fluffy white cloud, in other words a beautiful summers afternoon. I haven't been able to say that many times this year, even the wind was just a gentle breeze for a change.

There were plenty of Whites of all three common species flying over the farmers fields to the side of the footpaths with good numbers of Gatekeepers along the hedges although these were mostly looking well past their best. Arriving at the usual grassy meadows there were a few Meadow Browns and Small/Essex skippers still flying but these were all on their last legs and would not be lasting much longer here.

This site is one where I have previously found Brown Argus although I did not find any here last year and thsi species did not have a good year locally last year. I was pleased therefore to see a small silvery object darting about which resolved itself into a male Brown Argus vigorously defending his small patch.
Brown Argus - Bickenhill 06.08.2016
Brown Argus - Bickenhill 06.08.2016
I was even more pleased when a small coppery blur close by turned out to be a Small Copper, the firsrt one I have seen locally this year and only the second one I have seen so far this season. This is another species that had a poor season around here last year and seems to be having a worse one this year. A closer look at this individual showed him to have a pale right half which contrasted with his normal copper coloured left side.
Small Copper - Bickenhill 06.08.2016
Small Copper - Bickenhill 06.08.2016
There were also a few Common Blues flying in this corner, at least two and maybe three fresh males, none of which would settle for long in the warm afternoon sun.

In previous years I have found plenty of Peacocks here but last year numbers in the summer emergence seemed to crash badly. Moving over to a couple of large patches of thistles I found at least eight individuals which was another sight which cheered me up in what has so far been a worrying season in many respects.
Peacock - Bickenhill 06.08.2016
I also had a couple of flypasts from at least one and maybe two Painted Ladies that seemed to be heading north at rapid speed. Moving on to another corner of the site I found another Painted Lady that was flying about much more slowly and when settled looked as if it had not long emerged.
Painted Lady - Bickenhill 06.08.2016
Overall, butterfly numbers were well down on what I would expect to see here at this time of year, Small Tortoiseshells were particularly notable by their absence and Common Blues were far fewer than normal. On the other hand I was pleased to find the Brown Argus and Small Copper albeit only singles of each species and the Peacocks were an encouraging sight after their numbers crashed so badly here last summer.

Bye for now,

Neil

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I too couldn't help but notice all the Cinnabar caterpillars, something I've noticed in several sites I've visited recently. I didn't do much birding up there myself in the end, too focused in bagging a few more butterfly lifers but I will definitely visit again and do some proper birding, such a beautiful part of the world and the little town still seems very unspoilt :) .

Trowbarrow is small but very picturesque, an abandoned quarry. There weren't a huge amount of butterflies on my visit but it would be interesting to visit earlier in the year in a better butterfly year.

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi Neil, top class report and photographs as always!

I have never come across a Small Copper like your one with pale fore and hind wing. I found one which had both forewings a lovely pale lemon colour once and I do see the occasional Copper with a pale right forewing now and again.

For some reason it always seems to be the right hand side that's affected - I've never yet seen one with just a pale left forewing!

Best wishes,

Hoggers.

David M

Post by David M »

That's an interesting Small Copper for sure, Neil.

I'm always perplexed when just part of a butterfly's wings are aberrant.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

bugboy wrote:...such a beautiful part of the world and the little town still seems very unspoilt :) ...
Indeed, I always feel like I am stepping back in time when I am up that way :D

Hi Hoggers and David, I would imagine that the pale colour is the result of some sort of temperature shock or similar environmental influence in the pupal stage...just guessing really.

Friday 19th August

Well, as usual there was some lovely late summer weather earlier in the week whilst I was in work and now that the weekend is here it has turned wet and windy again. Having already seen the forecast for the rest of the week, on Wednesday I cashed in some brownie points and stopped off on my way home form work at my local spot at Castle Hills near Solihull for an hour or so to make the most of the weather whilst it lasted.

Meadow Browns and Gatekeepers seemed to be just about finished here now with just a few of both species seen and those all being well faded examples. On the other hand, Speckled Wood numbers were on the up with many fresh looking individuals seen along the more shaded parts of the paths and hedgerows. A few Small Skippers were also still buzzing about but Essex Skippers seemed to have finished whereas in previous years they usually finish around the same time.

I was pleased to find maybe a dozen Common Blues as this species has been in short supply around here so far this year. They were very active in the late afternoon sun and when they did settle they were mostly reluctant to open their wings.
Common Blue - Castle Hills 17.08.2016
Also seen were a fair number of whites, mostly Green-veined and Small with a couple of Large plus a single Small Heath. No Vanessids were seen which I found surprising given the conditions.

Recent garden moths

I have continued to run the moth trap in the garden and have been slowly increasing the number of species although overall numbers have been low, mirroring at night the situation with the butterflies around here during the day. I am now up to 117 species of macro moth plus 48 micros that I have managed to identify. There are also a fair number of micros that I have photographed and still yet to identity, something for the winter months probably.
Yellow Shell
Yellow Shell
Old Lady - impressively large species this one.
Old Lady - impressively large species this one.
Herald
Herald
Riband Wave - loads of these since mid June and still getting fresh ones.
Riband Wave - loads of these since mid June and still getting fresh ones.
Pebble Prominent
Pebble Prominent
Orange Swift - female
Orange Swift - female
Orange Swift - male
Orange Swift - male
Copper Underwing
Copper Underwing
Willow Beauty
Willow Beauty
Ruby Tiger
Ruby Tiger
The best/rarest moth I have had so far is a Lesser Treble-bar form fimbriata which lacks the bold cross lines of the normal form. This was confirmed by the Warwickshire county moth recorder who tells me that he trapped one a couple of years agao and has not heard of another one in the county since.
Lesser Treble-bar form fimbriata
Lesser Treble-bar form fimbriata
I will probably do a separate report on micros, probably in the winter when I have more time but here are a couple of attractive ones to be going on with.
Anania coronata
Anania coronata
Carcina quercana
Carcina quercana
Bye for now,

Neil

millerd

Post by millerd »

That Copper was a very interesting find, Neil. I've yet to see an out-of-the-ordinary one. The Common Blues are lovely, too, and very welcome given their scarcity this year. They are noticeably reluctant to open up in hot weather, and annoyingly don't bask before roosting when it's very warm. I wish I could get up earlier and see them when they are waking up... :)

Dave

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Dave, I get up early enough but am in work for 06.30 so not much time for basking butterflies in the morning. Yes, I was pleased to see the Common Blues and other reports are showing increasing numbers are being sighted around Warwickshire at last.

Neil.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Wednesday 24th August

With the recent pattern of the best of the weather usually occurring during the week whilst I am work, I decided a couple of weeks ago to take a gamble and book a day off in the middle of a week and hopefully have a run over to Grafton Wood to look for Brown Hairstreak.
So it was that this Wednesday morning saw me heading over the border into Worcestershire with fingers crossed that the pleasant morning weather would hold out for the day.

I arrived and parked at the church at Grafton Flyford and headed off through the farmyard and across the fields towards the wood. Entering the wood I decided to have a meander up to the main ride and then make my way to the pond area which has been the ‘hotspot’ for Brown Hairstreaks here for the past couple of years, ever since the ‘Orchard’ became a no-go area due to an apparent falling out with the local farmer who owns that bit of land.
I probably spent an hour or so slowly wandering along the rides and saw numerous Green-veined and Small Whites on patrol plus a good number of Speckled Woods. There were plenty of nectar sources along the rides and side paths including clumps of Hemp Agrimony which were strangely devoid of butterflies, but also large stands of Fleabane and Devils-bit Scabious which were attracting more interest. Some late Meadow Browns and Gatekeepers along with a few Common Blues and a female Speckled Wood were all seen on the Fleabane whereas the blue flowers of the Devils-bit Scabious in one particular large patch were being visited by Green-veined and Small Whites plus a couple each of Brimstone, Small Tortoiseshell and Red Admiral.
Common Blue female - Grafton Wood 24.08.2016
Common Blue female - Grafton Wood 24.08.2016
Red Admiral - Grafton Wood 24.08.2016
Red Admiral - Grafton Wood 24.08.2016
Small Tortoiseshell - Grafton Wood 24.08.2016
Small Tortoiseshell - Grafton Wood 24.08.2016
Brimstone female - Grafton Wood 24.08.2016
Brimstone female - Grafton Wood 24.08.2016
The female Speckled Wood below appeared to have had both antennae snipped off but didn't seem to be adversely affected in any way.
Speckled Wood female - Grafton Wood 24.08.2016
Speckled Wood female - Grafton Wood 24.08.2016

Finally arriving by the pond area I could hear the sound of a chainsaw and a little further on found some West Midlands BC members on a work party. Recognising a few familiar faces including John Tilt and Dave Williams, I went over for a chat and also met UKB member Van Greaves who was with the work party. As it was approaching lunch time a number of us went to check out the nearby area for Brown Hairstreaks. Apparently the females here have recently been coming down to lay at around 1.00pm and sure enough just before that time the call went out that one had been sighted.
During the next hour or so there were a few more sightings and we reckoned that four different females had been seen in this area which I believe had been cut back a couple of years ago to encourage Blackthorn re-growth. In the warm afternoon sun they were reluctant to open up and show their topsides and spent most of the time either walking up and down the blackthorn suckers or sitting head on to the sun which tended to put both sides in shade and made it difficult to get a decent photo. In the end I tried using some flash to fill in the shadows and managed some underside shots I was happy with.
Brown Hairstreak female - Grafton Wood 24.08.2016
I also got this shot of one female which landed on some dead branches with the sun behind her which I like because of the unusual colour combination.
A couple of times there was a tantalising glimpse of the orange patches on an individual’s topside before they changed their mind and either closed up again or took off back up into the treetops. The only one that opened up properly was low down in the vegetation in a combination of sun and shadow and I just managed the one quick shot before she fluttered deeper in before re-emerging and heading up for the tree-tops.
Also seen was a nice fresh Comma and a really tatty Silver-washed Fritillary but I didn't manage to get any shots of these.

A great day and the weather stayed better than the forecast which had indicated that it would be clouding over in the afternoon with rain heading in, which in the end didn’t reach us until the evening.

Bye for now,

Neil.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Beautiful Brown Hairstreak images Neil, particularly the penultimate picture which is also back lit.
I always hope they will open up, but that underside is a gorgeous sight on it's own.

Best wishes,
Trevor.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Yes,I agree, I think the undersides are nicer anyway. It's great that you have Brown Hairstreaks not too far away,and your pictures are good, too. Well done. Are you off to Dorset this year?

millerd

Post by millerd »

The penultimate photo with the dead leaves is terrific, Neil. It just epitomises the Brown Hairstreak as an early autumn butterfly. A classic shot in my book. :)

Dave

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks for the comments Trevor, Mark and Dave, I was pleased with that back-lit shot especially as I only had time for the one shot before it flew off further into the nearby blackthorn.

Unfortunately we are not going to Dorset this year Mark. Jane fancied a change of scenery for our early September break so we are heading down to Cornwall next weekend, Not sure what I will find down there at this time of year, especially the way this season has been. I only realised the other day that this will be the first time this year that I will have gone further south than the midlands.

Cheers,

Neil.

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Neil Freeman wrote: ..... As it was approaching lunch time a number of us went to check out the nearby area for ..........
Such dedication - I thought you were going to check out local pubs :lol:

Splendid BH photos and, as others have said, the one surrounded by Autumn leaves is a classic!

Mike

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Beautiful Brostreaks Neil, the penultimate shot is absolutely perfect :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”