Moth I havnt seen before

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
nathNW6

Moth I havnt seen before

Post by nathNW6 »

Sorry for the poor quality photo. I saw this moth flying and thought it was a small Tortoiseshell butterfly as it was a beautiful red when flying until it settled on a railing. Managed to grab one photo then it flitted off. No idea what it was but never seen one before.
Attachments
IMG_20160809_120658.jpg
peterc

Re: Moth I havnt seen before

Post by peterc »

It looks like a Jersey Tiger moth to me, nathNW6. I stand corrected if I am wrong. Assuming that it is, well done! Where did you find it?

ATB

Peter
nathNW6

Post by nathNW6 »

Saw it on Tuesday in Mill Lane, (Cricklewoord NW London) whilst walking back from a gym session. Just googled Jersey tiger moth and I think you are right. Never seen a moth that looks so like a butterfly. And flying about during the day too (unless it was distrubed by something)

Thanks very much for your reply and info.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Yes its a jersey tiger moth. They're actually becoming quite common in the south east now, particularly in london. I see them relatively often inn north east london.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

There's a good photo of this moth, showing the red hind-wings, on the UKMoths website. There is now a thriving population in parts of London, but whether this is due to range expansion or the result of accidental introduction is still unclear.

Return to “Identification”