Day of firsts

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Denise

Day of firsts

Post by Denise »

As I'm fairly new to butterflies, it's not so hard for me to find something new, but today was a day of firsts for me.
I returned to West Yatton with eccles, to try and find Dingy Skipper. I was delighted to find quite a lot of them there.

I also saw Brown Argus, and Small Heath, both of which are lifers for me. Common Blue was a year tick.
The number of Green Hairstreak has dramatically increased in the last week, and now they are on every bush.

We went on to Hazelbury Common where we bumped into Markfrombath. Always nice to put a face to the name, and meet a fellow UKB member.
We found more Dingy Skippers here and to my delight half a dozen, nice fresh Marsh Fritillarys. I was so chuffed to see them first!

A lovely day out.
Thanks Mike
Denise
Last edited by Denise on Tue May 13, 2008 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paul

Re: Day of firsts

Post by Paul »

Nicw shot of the Dingy underside... I can't remember having an opportunity to get that in the past... like it
Denise

Post by Denise »

Thanks Paul. This one was a little poser!
Denise
Polly

Post by Polly »

Super photos Denise!

I, too, am new to butterflies and get the same thrill as you when seeing a 'lifer'. Dingy Skipper, Green Hairstreak and Duke of Burgundy got my heart beating faster on Sunday, when out on a field trip with the Sussex branch of Butterfly Conservation. I am taking a day off work tomorrow and hope to see more and get some photos too!

Polly
Last edited by Polly on Tue May 13, 2008 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denise

Post by Denise »

Thanks Polly.
I am becoming adicted! If I'm not out "in the field" then I'm planning my next trip or reading about butterflies.
I used to be a birder, but butterflies are where it's at for me.

Denise

Return to “General”