Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Trevor

Post by trevor »

This afternoon I spent over an hour at the old railway line in Hailsham. At least it was sheltered from the wind.
My main target was the Holly Blue, there were many flying, but none settled low down.
However, Speckled Woods were also out in good numbers and I was fortunate to witness a male having his
advances rejected by the female ' playing dead '. He persevered for about a 30 secs, and immediately after
his departure the female composed herself and promptly flew off.
Also present were many Commas, Red Admirals, Whites large and small.
Back at home a Red Admiral settled with wings closed on one of my garden lights and allowed close approach.
Attachments
Male Speckled Wood with female playing dead.
Male Speckled Wood with female playing dead.
The ' dead' female .
The ' dead' female .
P1260515.JPG
P1260511.JPG
P1260510.JPG
P1260509.JPG
P1260514.JPG
P1260507.JPG

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Trevor,

Nice shot of the female Specklie rejecting the male. I have watched this behaviour quite a few times now and find it fascinating, especially when the male doesn't take the hint and the female will just do a little flick and drop down out of sight. I have never seen another species do this in the same way.

Cheers,

Neil.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Neil, This is the second time I have seen that rejection behaviour, the first was just yards away
from today's, back in the Spring.
Hope things pick up in your area soon.

Trevor.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely Large White shot Trevor, the males are a nightmare to get like that :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

I could only spare a ridiculously short time at Eartham woods this morning.
All the usual's were present, including a very worn White Admiral, my first at this site.
Attachments
P1260544.JPG
P1260545.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

Early this morning Doug. and myself set out to visit a site at Pirbright, in Surrey, to look for Grayling.
Thanks to information from Dave ( millerd ) I found the location straight away, arriving at 09.30.
The site has undergone what might be termed as ' brutal ' scrub clearance, complete with the use of weedkiller.
This may have been to the detriment ( temporarily I hope ) of the Grayling, as we only found five.
But as I was keen to see Grayling on Heather, it was a worthwhile trip.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1260621.JPG
P1260624.JPG
P1260620.JPG
P1260622.JPG
P1260623.JPG
P1260625.JPG
P1260626.JPG
P1260628.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

Glad you found the site, and the Grayling, Trevor. You did well - I only found one on Sunday! Maybe there are more on the way... :)

Dave

David M

Post by David M »

Great camouflage, as ever with Graylings.

This is another butterfly that seems to be getting more scarce. :(

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great Graylings Trevor and an nice looking Moth - any idea on the species? :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Trevor, I love the Grayling on the Heather, I think it takes a colour Back ground to really show the Grayling at it's best. Goldie :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks folks. Yes Goldie, that was why we went to that site, to see them on Heather. Our local site is difficult
for good Grayling images as they always seem to land in the grass or a Rabbit scrape, which renders them almost invisible.

Our Grayling expedition involved a round trip of over 150 miles, but this afternoon my back garden was host to the
Butterflies, courtesy of my neighbours Buddleia.

Here are some of the beauties resting in my garden, between visits to the Buddleia.
Attachments
P1260674.JPG
P1260675.JPG
P1260673.JPG
P1260676.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great images Trevor but they make me a little sad as it means the end is in sight :(

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

I know exactly what you mean, Wurzel. I always get that feeling when the Brownies come on stream.
( a few have been seen already ).
The rare and elusive Butterflies, as each appears in a season, fill me with anticipation, and satisfy
the hunting instinct when found and photographed successfully. The Brown Hairstreak is the last
Butterfly of the season to do this for me. Unless Neil can locate some Long Tailed Blues........!.

All the best,
Trevor.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fingers crossed that he does Trevor as this is the first year in recorded history when I've still got plenty of Brownie points in the bank :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Use them wisely, Wurzel !

downland boy

Post by downland boy »

Trevor,

I have just come across your moth entry dated 1st August. It is a Bordered Grey (Selidosema brunnearia) (male) which is a nationally scarce species.

It is worth sending details of when and where it was found to Colin Pratt, the county recorder for Sussex. A nice find.

Downland boy

downland boy

Post by downland boy »

......or the Surrey recorder if you saw it in Surrey!! Downland boy.

trevor

Post by trevor »

This morning, with perfect weather promised, I thought it would be a good idea to drive over to Steyning
to see if the Brown Hairstreak was up and about yet.
UKBers Katrina, Neil Hulme, John W, and B.saurus Rex all thought the same, and today was probably the
first of the final of the seasons gatherings, as the Brown Hairstreak is the final new species of the season
to emerge ( did I hear someone mutter Long Tailed Blue ).
Personally I did not see any Brown Hairstreaks today, but I understand that B.saurus did see one.
However, The Gate Keepers and Meadow Browns were out in some numbers and a Peacock resting
on a fence post was worth a shot or two.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1260715.JPG
P1260716.JPG
P1260718.JPG
P1260717.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely double spot Meadow Brown Trevor :D You should of tried Shipton Bellinger - I saw 6 males today, all down low and one with wings wide open :D Mind you by the time I get round to posting the shots they'll be 'nothing new' :roll:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

P1260890.JPG
Early this morning I thought it was about time for a visit to Windover Hill, to look mainly for Wall Browns.
Although many other species were seen, more of those in a following post.
Having tackled the long climb from the road I usually find somewhere to sit and take in the view.
This morning however the Walls were up and about as soon as I arrived, so it was straight into action.
For some reason the Windover Walls defy normal behaviour, being quite approachable. Only a couple
of miles away at High and Over, they are tricky to get near and justify their infuriating reputation.
In all about eight males obliged for my camera. :D
Attachments
P1260893.JPG
P1260889.JPG
P1260891.JPG
P1260894.JPG
P1260892.JPG
P1260899.JPG
P1260896.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”