Buchan Boy

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Buchan Boy

Re: Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

23rd May 2016

Isle Of Wight
Compton Bay
Compton Bay
Arrived back at the cliffs to a fully sunny dawn and by 7.30 butterflies were seen,a fairly stiff breeze was keeping them low and in the more sheltered little hollows,but there were good numbers for various species,except a solitary Wall Brown,my only one of the trip.
Compton Bay Wall
Compton Bay Wall
The Glanvilles were basking on the more open areas,due to the wind on the plants methinks.Good for pictures.
Compton Bay Glanville Fritillary
But with a few species congregating in small areas it was getting rather hectic at times especially with the feisty Small Coppers policing territory.
Compton Bay Small Copper
Compton Bay Small Copper
Good numbers of Small Heaths,Dingy Skippers and Common Blues.Also my first Cream spot Tiger in years.Crud shot though.
Compton Bay Cream Spot Tiger
Compton Bay Cream Spot Tiger
Thrift and Forgetmenot were the prominent nectar sources for most of the butterfly species on these sunken cliffs.
Compton Bay Sea Pink or Thrift
Compton Bay Sea Pink or Thrift
I waited until late afternoon, when the breeze had eased for an opportunity for more shots of the Glanvilles.I also found the hot-spot where in the late afternoon sun upwards of 30 Fritillaries were together on one of the small plateau meadows and starting to settle down for overnighting.
Also plenty of young Orthoptera in this habitat.
Compton Bay Great Green Bush Cricket Nymph
Compton Bay Great Green Bush Cricket Nymph
I watched the sun set from St Catherines Hill,a really lovely day in a really lovely place.
South West Isle Of Wight
South West Isle Of Wight
Thanks

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Regards
Dave Browne
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great couple of reports from the IOW BB with some superb photos to go with them. Love the Glanvilles and great to see them in their proper home, not that I have anything against the introduced colonies but there is just something right about seeing them on the IOW.
And that sunset is gorgeous :D

Cheers,

Neil.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great reports Buchan Boy, cracking shot of the Wall :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Thanks Neil, got the timing spot on...

24th May 2016

Isle Of Wight

As with the Marsh Fritillaries in Dorset last year I was lucky enough to be at emergence or within a couple of days,I suspect the numbers here are still rising now.

A few more shots just wrap up a marvellous few days at Compton Bay.
Compton Bay Glanville Fritillary 2
Compton Bay Glanville Fritillary 2
Compton Bay Glanville Fritillary 3
Compton Bay Glanville Fritillary 3
Finished by mid-morning with the butterflies all on the cliff-top around the path,quite a sight.
Whilst here I've also been looking for the Cliff Tiger Beetle,that also enjoys this habitat,but I think I may have been too early in the season.
A record from St Catherines point sent me there to look for it but none were located,however there were also a few Glanvilles present and Brown Argus's.
St Catherines Point Brown Argus
St Catherines Point Brown Argus
Temperature was now reaching its peak for the day and the butterflies were now unapproachable so I went to Ventnor to see how the Glanville colonies were at Wheelers and Horseshoe Bay.
No problem,plenty on the move here as well,all at the base of the cliff as you walk along the promenade thing.Actually a lot less effort to photograph them here if clambering up and down cliffs isn't your thing! :lol:
Also plenty of Wall Lizards along this bit as well,the lovely North Italian green and yellow dotted form.
Ventnor Wall Lizard
Ventnor Wall Lizard
Wheelers Bay,Glanvilles at the bottom.
Wheelers Bay,Glanvilles at the bottom.
Dave

Regards
Dave Browne
Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Friday 10th June 2016 Buckland, North Downs

Looking for newly sprung orchids......

First Large skipper of the year.
Buckland Large Skipper
Buckland Large Skipper
Buckland Large Skipper 2
Buckland Large Skipper 2
Also first Meadow Brown's
But the Orchids stole todays show.
Buckland Bee Orchid
Buckland Bee Orchid
Buckland Greater Butterfly Orchid
Buckland Greater Butterfly Orchid
Buckland Man Orchid
Buckland Man Orchid
This young female was oblivious to me hiding,until I fired the shutter!
Buckland Roe deer female.
Buckland Roe deer female.
Then was gone.

Dave

Regards
Dave Browne
trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Dave'
I've been a bit slow ! and only just seen your Glanville images .The top one ( 24th May )
does it for me. Gorgeous, what a background. Nice Orchids too.

All the best,
Trevor.

Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Sunday 19th June 2016

Iping/Stedham Commons

Some sun first thing had me driving across Sussex to see if the Silver-studded's were on the wing,and they were.
Stedham Common Silver-studded Blue male
Stedham Common Silver-studded Blue male
Stedham Common Silver-studded Blue male2
Stedham Common Silver-studded Blue male2
Iping Common Silver-studded Blue female
Iping Common Silver-studded Blue female
Iping Common Silver-studded Blue female2
Iping Common Silver-studded Blue female2
Slowly starting to emerge...

Dave

Regards
Dave Browne
Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Sunday 3rd July 2016

Castle Hill NNR

Spent the afternoon with between 10-15 Dark Green Fritillaries on the South Downs.Some very fresh Marbled Whites
Castle Hill NNR Dark Green Fritillary
Castle Hill NNR Dark Green Fritillary
Castle Hill NNR Dark Green Fritillary 2
Castle Hill NNR Dark Green Fritillary 2
Castle Hill NNR Dark Green Fritillary 3
Castle Hill NNR Dark Green Fritillary 3
Castle Hill NNR Marbled White
Castle Hill NNR Marbled White
Bit windy but whos complaining!

Thanks

Regards
Dave Browne
Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Thurs/Fri 14th-15th July 2016

Southwater Wds

Spent a couple of days wandering round Marlpost and Madgeland woods in Sussex,hoping for some woodland butterflies.

Bumped into a female Silver Washed taking in the first rays of the morning,this was the last of the "sitters",it all went rather manic after about 10 o'clock.
Southwater Silver Washed Fritillary female
Southwater Silver Washed Fritillary female
Then about 20 yards down the track a White Admiral was doing that fluttering just above the ground searching out minerals and suchlike,quite a battered individual,but a White Admiral nonetheless.
Southwater White Admiral
Southwater White Admiral
Southwater White Admiral 2
Southwater White Admiral 2
I only noted 3 of these in the two days I spent here,last year there seemed to be a riot of these going on at this time of year.
This one was quite a bit fresher but the photo was rubbish....also a bit later on in the morning nectaring on the bramble flowers.
Southwater White Admiral 3
Southwater White Admiral 3
Southwater White Admiral 4
Southwater White Admiral 4
So key to getting close to Silver Washed Fritillaries......find a big bank of bramble in bloom and be quick of the mark with the camera, perseverance is the key here!
Southwater Silver Washed Fritillary Male 2
Southwater Silver Washed Fritillary Male 2
Southwater Silver Washed Fritillary 3
Southwater Silver Washed Fritillary 3
Also worth noting that Commas seem to faring rather well this year,beating up anything that comes close to their bramble perch!
Southwater Comma
Southwater Comma
Southwater Comma 2
Southwater Comma 2
Also plenty of Large,Small and Essex Skippers,Large Whites some woodland Marbled Whites,Purple Hairstreaks in the Oaks with Binoculars and one Purple Emperor at height.Not sure how their season is going here,I'll have another go next weekend.
Sussex Woodland sunny glades.
Sussex Woodland sunny glades.
But the Silver Washed are always worth spending a few days with.
Southwater Silver Washed Fritillary Male
Southwater Silver Washed Fritillary Male
Dave

Regards
Dave Browne
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely sequence of shots Buchan Boy, especially the White Admirals - I can never get them closed wing like that :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Saturday 30th July 2016

Castle Hill NNR

It rained but was rather humid and with no wind fancied my chances.
Chalkhill Blues today.
Castle Hill Chalkhill Blue Male
Castle Hill Chalkhill Blue Female
Castle Hill Chalkhill Blue Female
Quite surprising how many were on the wing considering the rain
Also a solitary Brown Argus
Castle Hill Brown Argus
Castle Hill Brown Argus
And cowering,wet Marbled Whites...
Castle Hill Marble White
Castle Hill Marble White
Under leaden skies
Under leaden skies
Dave

Regards
Dave Browne
David M

Post by David M »

Amazing you're still seeing Marbled Whites!

They're practically gone even here in cool and wet south Wales!

Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Friday 5th August 2016

Salfords,Surrey

Big lens,footbridge through oak tree canopy and a couple of hours,Purple Hairstreak,faded female,good, :D

Note to self: get here earlier in the year next year!
Salfords Purple Hairstreak
Salfords Purple Hairstreak
Dave

Regards
Dave Browne
Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Sunday 14th August 2016

Newdigate Old Brickworks,Surrey.

I'd always struggled to actually see any Brown Hairstreaks at this site although I'd spent many days here I'd never located them at a low level.

Today, jackpot,managed to locate around 4 in the young Blackthorn sapplings that had sprung up in front of the main bank with the Ash trees behind it.

All in full midday sunshine taking it easy,wandering round the young bushes.Shots below are of two of them.
Newdigate Brown Hairstreak
Newdigate Brown Hairstreak 2
Ash trees,Blackthorn Bank,Young Blackthorn,Meadow...succession...
Newdigate BH site
Newdigate BH site
Also a Clouded Yellow that was worth chasing around!
Newdigate Clouded Yellow
Newdigate Clouded Yellow
Newdigate Clouded Yellow 2
Newdigate Clouded Yellow 2
Newdigate Clouded Yellow 3
Newdigate Clouded Yellow 3
Teasel
Teasel
Agrimony
Agrimony
Also noted a Purple Hairstreak,a few Common Blues,good numbers of Gatekeepers and Meadow Browns and 1 very tatty Brown Argus.

Good site this.

Thanks

Regards
Dave Browne
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Oh, Wow! Where is Newdigate Brickworks?! Smashing!! Just love those shots :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

David M

Post by David M »

Sounds like a great day, Dave. I notice south-easterlies are to prevail for a couple of days this coming week. Hopefully they'll carry a few more Cloudies over to us.

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

The second hairstreak shot is gorgeous!

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Dave,

Your second Brown Hairstreak image has caused extreme envy :mrgreen: . And a Clouded Yellow, can't be bad !.

All the best,
Trevor.

Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Aw thanks people,actually checking back later through the evening,I think I prefer these two shots,either way best I've ever managed! :D
Dave

Regards
Dave Browne
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Now you're just showing off :mrgreen: :mrgreen: You can go off folk, y'know :wink: :lol:

Return to “Personal Diaries”