Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Wurzel, it was a day to remember. :D
Cheers David, it is satisfying, I think when you've wanted to see some thing badly for a while and then it finally happens it's it's a great feeling :D
Hi! Max, may be we'll meet up some time at Fermyn :D Goldie :D

I went to a wedding yesterday at Barrow, it was rather wet up there no chance for Butterflies but a great wedding :D
I had vistors to the front and back gardens though which made a change last few days, only Large White's but still most welcome after such a bad weather. Goldie :D
Attachments
Large White 23rd July (1).jpg
IMG_9201.jpg

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Hi Goldie, it's good to see that you've tackled the tricky photographic problem of Large Whites! These white species are very under-represented in photos and you have used exposure compensation very effectively.

I don't think you have got the focus quite right on the first shot, since the Buddleia flowers are sharper than the eyes of the butterfly. The problem is probably that your camera has automatically focused on the nearest part of the subject. It's all described in the Canon 1100D manual.

If you look in your camera manual (p83, I think), you'll see that the 'default' AF mode is to focus on the nearest object but you can over-ride that by selecting the focus point yourself. I usually choose the central focus point and place this over the eyes. After setting the focus, keep the shutter release half-pressed and you can then move the camera a little from side to side, to get the composition you want, without the focus changing. Be careful not to move forwards or back, though, or the focus will no longer be correct!

Your pics are lovely and I think whites always look their best against a plain background.

Mike

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Mike very much appreciate your advice which helped me with selecting my exposure compensation.
I must say I was annoyed when I saw my shots because the eye wasn't too clear on the Butterfly, I'll try to take more time in setting the position I want, the large Whites don't seem to settle for long so I'm always in a hurry when taking shots of them, they don't seem to be landing for any period of time.
The Small Whites that've been in the garden up to now have not been landing on the flowers but on the green foliage, I think may be they're egg laying but the foliage is always out of the way.
Thanks again Mike Goldie :D

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

The Small Whites are very busy on the foliage in my garden too - I must search for eggs! With a digital camera, just keep shooting and adjusting your position, so that you've a better chance of the 'perfect' shot. Simply delete the rest and it's cost you nothing and you've learned a lot :)

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Mike I saw some more Whites today, still practising with the Camera :lol:

I went back to Hall-Lee-Brook today in the hope I'd see some thing because the Season here has been a shocker up to now so I was pleased to see a Green Veined White , Speckled Wood, Comma and Gate Keeper :D

The weather was dull with the Sun occasionally peeping through the clouds , this helped really because I saw the Comma, this time very near to me for a change and stayed put because of the cloud, also there tucked into the Blackberry bushes were my first Gate Keeper's of the year and the Male looks to have no spots, two females also were in no mood for moving and stayed one above the other for shot's :D Hope fully if we can get some Sun tomorrow we may get a few more Butterflies out.
I included the Meadow Brown because it was sitting in the wet grass looking so sorrow for its self the weather has done nothing but rain since they first appeared. Peacocks up to now and the Red Admiral's have not put an appearance in yet.Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_9316.jpg
IMG_9334.jpg
IMG_9287.jpg
IMG_9296.jpg
IMG_9338.jpg
IMG_9331.jpg
IMG_9326.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Nice find there Goldie, an eyeless Hedge Brown :D :mrgreen: Your female looks to be a an excessa with the extra spots too :D
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks for your post Wurzel, I was hoping some one would pick up on them because I wasn't sure of the Female, :D I'll have to look up what the Male might be called in the species section. :D

I went back to Hall-Lee-Brook yesterday to see if any thing else had arrived, lot's more GVW which were a site for sore eyes :D The Meadow Brown were still there but slightly worn, with the Sun in and out again the Gate Keeper's were in there special corner of the Meadow on the fast changing Blackberry bushes, I didn't see any Tort's are Peacock's hope fully they won't be too long arriving. The SK's were also out in force has were the SW.

On my way out I thought I saw a Red Admiral but it was too far a way but what usually happens to me, when I got home there was a RA on my Buddleia I managed a quick shot before it flew off. :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_9363.jpg
IMG_9426.jpg
IMG_9394.jpg
IMG_9418.jpg
IMG_9388.jpg

millerd

Post by millerd »

Well done on that "blind" Gatekeeper, Goldie - it really does look very odd without the white pupils. :)

Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thank's Dave, Hall-Lee-Brook seems to throw quite a few unusual ab's up, it's surprising really, you see nothing much for ages and then 'Bingo" some thing different :D Goldie :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I went back to Hall-Lee-Brook today hoping I'd see the ab again no luck though, there was the usual Butterflies there but not in great numbers like there used to be.
There were more GVW's than I saw all Spring which is good, the odd Comma, the Meadow Brown's were looking a bit worse for wear as was a Small Tort that was either faded are had a lot of White on it, I did see a Large Skipper, I thought they'd finished so that was a change, no Peacocks though are Red Admirals yet which seems strange since I saw one in the Garden.
Hope fully we may see some thing when we go South shortly, it's just a pity I can't get up to Arnside for the Scotch Argus but that's life! :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_9546.jpg
IMG_9466.jpg
IMG_9493.jpg
IMG_9503.jpg
IMG_9537.jpg
IMG_9524.jpg
IMG_9481.jpg

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I like the unusual 'arty' shot of the Gatekeeper on the edge of the serrated leaf - looks as though he's guarding the castle :)

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Mike, yes I like that shot too :D I was just taking the picture when he started to stretch, first one way then the other has in this shot, I think he was guarding his castle,( Leaf) :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_9527.jpg

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Goldie,

Glad to see your seeing a few things up there. Good luck with your trip south, I am heading north again in a couple of days for another stint up at Arnside.

Cheers,

Neil.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Hi Goldie,you should see a few red admirals in the south next week,as there are now reasonable numbers around. Be sure to visit some Chalkhill Blue and Silver Spotted Skipper sites while you are down here. Debbie's Hillside in Surrey and Lydden Temple Ewell near Dover for Chalkhills and Aston Rowant for Silver Spots. Good luck!

millerd

Post by millerd »

In fact all three of those sites have both of those species, though the Silver Spots are tricky to find at Denbies. Happy hunting, Goldie!

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shot of the '6 spot' Hedge Brown Goldie :D Good luck on your southern trip - if you make it slightly more west you could try Broughton Down for SSS and Shipton for Brostreak :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Neil, I'm looking forward to the trip South, wev'e put the trip off twice now because my Husband's not been too well but hope fully we'll make it shortly, at least we're going to family so that's good, I hope your trip is good and the weather also, the Scotch Argus are out at Arnside so you should see them. Goldie :D

Hi! essex, believe it or not yesterday I saw a RA in my garden :D We will definitely be visiting Temple Ewell NR for the Chalkhills and hope fully we'll see some SSS there, finger's crossed :D

Thanks Dave, let's hope we see some Clouded Yellow at Temple Ewell as well ,I've seen them there before and the SSS usually when we've gone South later in August so may be we'll see all three, hope fully. :D

Hi! Wurzel, cheer's, glad you like the GK, I didn't realise it had '6 spots, is that unusual I wonder :) I think we may have to stay in Kent because my Husband's not quite up to traveling, we'll do the driving down there in our turn's ( if he let's me :lol: ) But I'd love to see a Brostreak I've never seen one. May be I can twist my Daughters arm. :lol:

Yesterday was amazing in the the garden for the first time this year I actually saw Butterflies every where, mostly White's L/S, GV, others seen RA and yes at last a Peacock, also a ST so it looks like thing's maybe on the turn here, all I'd to do was step out side with my Camera so I had to post a few shot's to celebrate Goldie :lol:
Attachments
IMG_9566.jpg
IMG_9581.jpg
IMG_9633.jpg
IMG_9555.jpg

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Well done Goldie,you've definitely had the best of the weather up north the last couple of days. Those butterfly bushes seem to be proving their worth.

Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Goldie,
Just noticed that you may be visiting Lydden/Temple Ewell in the near future. We had a short visit there yesterday( Sunday ),large numbers of Chalkhill Blues,but just the one Silver spotted Skipper,and as yet no 2nd brood Adonis. At Dungeness the second brood Small Coppers are starting to drop in numbers ,most are looking a bit dog eared now,but there were still one or two in good nick,i saw around 30 in an hour ,also yesterday ,(compared to around 200-250 in about 2 and a half hours ,a couple of weeks ago),but I,m sure there should be some still on the wing,Suggest "the moat" and the power station fence,from the seashore to the bird obs. Good hunting ! Regards Allan W.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! essex, it was a great day however since than we've had lots of rain which doesn't seem to bother the White's too much they've kept flying but I've not seen the RA, Peacock or the ST since, hope fully they'll reappear. :D

Thank's Allan, for your post, maybe the Adonis will put in an appearance by the time we get down there :D
Hope fully the Coppers will still be there, I keep going to HLB to see if there are any to be seen but so far nothing , not even in the Dunes at Southport where I've seen them two years on the trot, It's been so bad this Spring for Butterflies up North, thanks again Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”