Greenwings: French Alps 25 June to 8 July 2016

David M

Re: French Alps 25 June to 8 July 2016

Post by David M »

Erebia

A bit hit and miss with this genus during the trip. As ever, Almond Eyed Ringlets were conspicuous to the point of boredom, with well into four figures seen:
8.AlmondEyeupps(1).jpg
8.AlmondEyeuns(1).jpg
Rather more disappointing, however, was the relative lack of Large Ringlets seen. Last year, during the heatwave, they were about in almost plague proportions. This year, just 3 definites were seen:
8.LargeRinglet(1).jpg
De Prunner's Ringlet was seen during the first week, and two Piedmont Ringlets popped up during the second:
8.PiedmontR(1).jpg
8.PiedmontRuns(1).jpg
Again, Common Brassy Ringlets were fairly thin on the ground with only about 20 seen:
8.CommonBrassyR(1).jpg
Mountain Ringlets were scarce too - 10 at best:
8.MountainR.jpg
A trip up to 2,800m threw up a handful of Sooty Ringlets:
8.SootyRinglet(1).jpg
Worryingly, False Mnestra Ringlets were completely absent during Week 1. During the second leg, however, a handful were on the wing:
8.FalseMnestraupps.jpg
8.FalseMnestrauns.jpg
Numbers seen:

1. Almond-Eyed Ringlet 1,000+
2. Common Brassy Ringlet 15-25
3. False Mnestra Ringlet 8-12
4. Sooty Ringlet 8-12
5. Mountain Ringlet 5-10
6. De Prunner's Ringlet 4
7. Large Ringlet 3
8. Piedmont Ringlet 2
David M

Post by David M »

Other Satyrids

In Week 1, we were all amazed at how Woodland Grayling didn't make an appearance. Thankfully, a few were around in Week 2 as well as increasing numbers of Great Banded Graylings. I've seen so many of this latter species that I tend not to pay too much attention to them, but this one caught my eye as it was sipping minerals from a spot where flies and ants were in abundance and kept flicking open its wings in irritated fashion:
9.GBGupps(1).jpg
I actually missed out on a 'lifer' in Week 1. Large Wall Browns were fairly common at the first location, and because of that I had a tendence to dismiss anything looking like one. This was a lesson - never assume anything! It transpired that occasional Northern Wall Browns were present, and this has registered in my consciousness for future tours.

Other than that, there wasn't too much to shout about on the Satyrid front. Meadow Browns were commonplace, and a few Great Sooty Satyrs started to make their presence felt during Week 2. Marbled Whites were ubiquitous and the odd Speckled Wood could be guaranteed to turn up every so often. Wall Browns were regular companions and in the damper areas a few Ringlets could be found (not at all a common species in these parts).

The only other true notable was Dusky Meadow Brown:
1DMB1(1).jpg
This specimen was spotted on the only cloudy morning of the week, and gave itself away by behaving more like a Grayling - constantly settling on rock and angling itself towards the sun. One day, when I've had a tank-full of all the desirable species in this region, I'll spend time checking to see how many assumed Meadow Browns are actually Duskies.

Totals were:

1. Marbled White 500+
2. Meadow Brown 500+
3. Large Wall Brown 40-60
4. Wall Brown 30-50
5. Ringlet 20-30
6. Great Banded Grayling 15-25
7. Great Sooty Satyr 10-15
8. Woodland Grayling 5-10
9. Speckled Wood 5-10
10. Dusky Meadow Brown 1
David M

Post by David M »

Fritillaries - part 1

These were possibly the most impressively represented group of butterflies from the trip with over 20 species seen. During Week 1, Provençal Frits were still about:
10.Provencal(1).jpg
However, the larger Fritillaries were all rather scarce, with Dark Green not being seen at all until the second week!!! A few High Browns were about during week 1 and numbers got stronger as time progressed:
10.HBF(1).jpg
If anything, of the four 'big' Frits (HBF, DGF, SWF & Niobe), the commonest was Niobe:
10.NiobeFrit(1).jpg
Both Marbled and Lesser Marbled Fritillaries were seen here and there:
10.MarbledFrit(1).jpg
10.LesserMarbled(1).jpg
Silver Washed, Weaver's, Heath, Spotted, Knapweed & Glanville Fritillaries were also spotted at 1,000 - 1,500m; it was only when one ascended above this altitude that things changed.
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

A very nice semi-open-wing shot of the Great Banded Grayling, David. Not at all easy to get, and I should know, I am constantly trying.
Chris
David M

Post by David M »

Chris Jackson wrote:A very nice semi-open-wing shot of the Great Banded Grayling, David. Not at all easy to get, and I should know, I am constantly trying.
Chris
Just a question of time and patience, Chris. Get them in amongst flies and ants and they'll open up willingly!

Fritillaries - Part 2

Once you ascend above 1,500m, a whole new array of Fritillaries becomes evident. Firstly, False Heath gradually takes over from Heath:
10.FalseHeath(1).jpg
...Titania's Fritillary suddenly becomes a regular:
10.Titanias(1).jpg
Queen of Spain Frits love altitude sites in this part of France:
10.QoS(1).jpg
Meadow Fritillaries start to appear as well as Grison's if you look hard enough. Rather easier are Shepherd's and Mountain Fritillaries:
10.Shepherdsupps(1).jpg
10.Shepherdsuns(1).jpg
10.MountainFrit(1).jpg
Late Marsh Fritillaries popped up every so often as if to prove how retarded the calendar was this year, but one altitude species we hit at exactly the right time was Cynthia's Fritillary. A few were seen in week 1 but on the first full day of week 2 they were ubiquitous at the best site for them, with between 60 and 100 seen. Here's a male:
10.Cynthiasmale1(1).jpg
A decent smattering of waxy-coloured females were seen too (at least 10):
10.Cynthiasfemale(1).jpg
Courtship behaviour was also observed, as well as unwanted pursuits. Here, this presumably already mated female was trying to escape the attention of these persistent males:
10.Cynthiaschase(1).jpg
So, a fantastic range seen, even if actual numbers weren't always that impressive:

1. Heath Fritillary 500+
2. Shepherd's Fritillary 100+ (very common at 2,000m)
3. Mountain Fritillary 100+ (same as above)
4. False Heath Fritillary 80-120
5. Cynthia's Fritillary 75-100
6. Spotted Fritillary 40-60
7. Knapweed Fritillary 40-60
8. Titania's Fritillary 30-50
9. Glanville Fritillary 30-50
10. Weaver's Fritillary 20-40
11. Pearl Bordered Fritillary 20-40
12. Niobe Fritillary 20-30
13. High Brown Fritillary 15-25
14. Marsh Fritillary 15-25
15. Marbled Fritillary 15-25
16. Queen of Spain Fritillary 15-25
17. Lesser Marbled Fritillary 15-25
18. Dark Green Fritillary 5-10
19. Meadow Fritillary 5-10
20. Silver Washed Fritillary 5-10
21. Provençal Fritillary 5-10
22. Grison's Fritillary 2 definites
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

I'm still pinching myself about those Cynthia's ,David. That was a truly fabulous day,everything about it!
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

It's worth mentioning as a postscript to the tour that one of the group flew 15 hours from Taiwan, spent week one with us and then flew 15 hours back again. That's dedication for you!
David M

Post by David M »

Roger Gibbons wrote:It's worth mentioning as a postscript to the tour that one of the group flew 15 hours from Taiwan, spent week one with us and then flew 15 hours back again. That's dedication for you!
Indeed, and this individual was probably the keenest of the whole group. I particularly liked his comment when we were on the balcony at 9pm one night after having eaten our delicious evening meal - "David, I can't believe how light it is at 9 o'clock".

Makes you realise that what you take for granted is quite a spectacle in other people's eyes. Of course, in Taiwan, I doubt whether it's ever lighter later that 8pm, so that extra hour was the same as any of us spending time in June in Norway or Sweden!
David M

Post by David M »

Whilst I echo Essex Buzzard's comments regarding the amazing numbers of Cynthia's Fritillaries we saw at a site in Week 2, my own personal highlight was a jaw-dropping day spent at a damp meadow location less than half an hour's drive from our hotel in the Var valley.

We spent the entire day there as I had sensed that this site was abnormally species-rich in previous visits and wanted to test that theory.

Even I was staggered when, at the end of the day when we listed our sightings, the day's tally at this single site about half a mile square was 71! That's right....SEVENTY ONE* - *A review of images by one of the guests showed a male Alpine Blue on the shoes of another guest, so the actual known tally is now 72!!

What's more, about 30 species were ticked off within 100m of the entrance, as a huge array of lycaenids, pyrgus, fritillaries, ringlets and pierids were to be seen puddling astride the artificial boardwalk.

The local authorities had just done some work at the entrance, tidying it up and reinforcing it with concrete. This left plenty of disturbed ground with minerals in it, and the butterflies flocked to it in their hundreds.

Images can never do justice to what the naked eye sees but this shot gives an idea of what was going on in just a very small corner (and this was repeated elsewhere close-by):
11.Puddling2(1).jpg
Revisiting one's photographs can also be illuminating. I took this one without much regard for the specimens within it, but upon reviewing it I noticed that the male Adonis Blue on the right has quite prominent hindwing spots, which is something I've heard of but never seen before:
11.Puddling1(1).jpg
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Yes,for sheer numbers of species,as well as the scenery,this is perhaps the most spectacular butterfly place I have visited.
Sylvie_h

Post by Sylvie_h »

Hi David,

Puddles are great especially when the weather is hot. Every time I came across one, I spent many hours just observing the butterflies and their interaction between one another. They seem very tolerant of one another. However, I always wondered why so many species of 'Blues' tend to congregate to suck minerals and not other species? Does anybdoy know?
Sylvie
David M

Post by David M »

Other species do indulge in puddling, Sylvie, it's just that they rarely do so in such numbers.

Lycaenids are undisputably the puddling kings, but pyrgus are willing participants and certain fritillaries, erebia and pierids can be relied upon too.

What I find is that lycaenids & skippers will take minerals simply if there is water and mud present. Many of the other types of butterfly seem to require something more repugnant to be present. If there is scat around, then you can expect other species to be down there, including many nymphalids.

Aside from this topic, after a review and a bit of accidental guidance from a Danish member of UKB, I have now raised my species tally from the fortnight to 127.

This was because I had inadvertently omitted Duke of Burgundy, due principally to it being the sole member of the Riodinidae family.

I've also taken a look again at the guest list, and given that I missed out on Northern Wall Brown, Large Tortoiseshell & Camberwell Beauty, then the full range of species numbered an incredible 130!!

That'll prove very difficult to beat in future years, but I'm always up for a challenge!!! :)

Return to “Trip Reports”