Trip to Alice Holt plus

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Philzoid

Trip to Alice Holt plus

Post by Philzoid »

17/07/16
Last Saturday (9th) a trip to Abbotts wood, [part of the Alice Holt forest) drew a blank for my target species, the Purple Emperor. The sun struggled to put in an appearance of sufficient sustenance in the morning and by the afternoon it had well and truly clouded over. The journey wasn’t a total waste, (they never are to be fair) as I got to see White Admiral; Gatekeeper and Small Skipper all firsts for the year :) . A male Broad-bodied Chaser Dragonfly was a pleasing addition too.
A IMG_6241 Libellula depressa, Broad-bodied Chaser (male), Abbots Wood, Alice holt.jpg
B IMG_8809 Gatekeeper, Abbots wood, Alice holt.jpg
C IMG_6245 White Admiral, Abbots Wood, Alice holt.jpg
At Abbotts all the common woodland species were all there: - Ringlet; Meadow Brown and Speckled wood, just not in the abundance you’d expect :| . More worrying though was the complete absence of Silver-washed Fritillary :o . One of the most pleasing sights in woodland at this time of the year is seeing the large male bright orange butterflies dripping down from height or quartering the rides looking for females, momentarily pausing to drink from bramble flowers or thistle heads. Moving onto Straits Inclosure improved matters, with eventually my first sightings of Silver-washed plus a few more White Admiral, Large White; Green-veined White; Red Admiral and (Smessex) skippers. Still no emperor though :? .
D IMG_8849 Silver-washed Fritillary, Straits Inclosure, Alice holt.jpg
E IMG_8852 Ringlet, Straits Inclosure, Alice holt.jpg
As my next chance for a Purple Emperor sighting was the following weekend (with a heavy reliance on good weather to occur in a season of endless durge), I resigned myself to the possibility of missing out on his majesty this season. A quick PM to Mark Tutton revived my optimism (thanks Mark :) ) so on Sunday 17th I made sure of an early start and a first port of call to Straits.
Straits is starting to look like its ‘old self’ after the recent years of forestry commission activity left it looking in a bit of a state :D . As I made my way along the main track (surprisingly one-one else around) I scanned the tree-tops and the ground but no sniff of an Emperor. My first butterfly turned out to be a female Silver-washed on top of a thistle head then later on at the observation tower junction by a large clump of flowering bramble, I was able to view more Silver-washed; White Admiral; Large and Green-veined White, Large; Small and (perhaps) Essex Skippers; Ringlet; Meadow Brown; Gatekeeper; Comma all dropping in and out of their ‘diner’.
F IMG_6302 Silver-washed Fritillary, Straits Inclosure, Alice Holt t.jpg
G IMG_8826 Large Skipper, Straits Inclosure, Alice holt.jpg
Plenty of Small Skipper along the woodland rides
Plenty of Small Skipper along the woodland rides
I IMG_6345 Green-veined White, Straits Inclosure, Alice Holt.jpg
Around the bramble the air hummed to the sound from insect wings of bees; flies and Rutpela maculata longhorn beetles. Moving on further-into the inclosure brought more of the same and although I still hadn’t seen any emperors I was feeling contented in this isolated and peaceful setting, with only the sounds of nature. 8)
J IMG_9258 Comma, Straits Inclosure, Alice Holt.jpg
K IMG_9272 Rutpela maculata, Longhorn beetle, Straits Inclosure, Alice holt.jpg
L IMG_9263 Small Skipper, Straits Inclosure, Alice Holt.jpg
M IMG_9277 Gatekeeper (male), Straits Inclosure, Alice holt.jpg
Eventually I had to make my way back and upon reaching the bramble diner decided I’d have one last try for a White Admiral which were particularly evasive to the camera lens. It was at that point that I spotted it, an Emperor about 10 yards away flying into a sallow :shock: . As ever I stood there staring before reacting to raise my camera only to find it had gone. My first Emperor at last … or was it :? Perhaps it was just a large high-flying White Admiral …. yes, even Iris can be confused with something else when you haven’t had a good look. At that point the peace and quiet was interrupted by the noise of chattering from a party of Ramblers. As they passed by one of them stopped to have a chat before wishing me luck. It seemed to work because no sooner had they gone when an Emperor appeared again :D . This time if came low, flew around a telegraph pole and settled about 15ft up on the observation tower. No doubt about it this time. He was trying to get something out of the wood which presumably yielded little as he kept moving about to try different areas on the tower. The photos were taken from distance and do not show the purple nor are they anywhere near as good as others that have been shown on here, but I’m very pleased to have got them nonetheless :D . Soon after taking my pictures he left and then I saw another one (no nick in the wing) actually chasing a hawker dragonfly :shock:
N IMG_6373 Purple Emperor (male), Straits Inclosure, Alice Holt t.jpg
O IMG_6385 Purple Emperor (male), Straits Inclosure, Alice Holt t gi.jpg
A tree-top show interspersed with moments of perching on the observation tower lasted for around 15 minutes and then it all went quiet. It was time to leave. On the way out I met others coming in for a sighting. Hope they got to see one.
Species seen so far for the day were: - SWF; MB; R; SWd; MW; SSk; LSk; LW; GVW; PE; WA Cm and RA. No Lycaenids

The previous week at Abbotts I met a local enthusiast who said that Glanvilles were back at Wrecclesham (just down the road) :o . Though too late for Glannies I decided to give it a look over. It crossed my mind that there might just be the chance remnants of Heath Fritillary colony which was another species release there back in 2012 I believe. Seeing Heaths would be an unexpected bonus and a chance to catch up to Wurzel, who’d stolen into the lead in our annual number of species ‘challenge’ per season :wink: (42 to 39 at last count (before my PE)).
At Wrecclesham there were signs of some further development work. The fencing around the area was still as flimsy as previous but the road leading to the sandpit has been concreted over to take heavy vehicles and there were signs of the sandpit being further quarried and the lake partially filled: - all part of a plan to increase the capacity of the area for use as a landfill site :? . Apparently this use for it was proposed back in 2002 and as expected met with resistance from locals who didn’t want the problems that come with having a landfill site on their doorstep. Bearing this in mind and the changes that have already occurred it seems crazy to have tried to start a colony of Glanville Fritillaries and latterly Heath Fritillaries on such a site? … but perhaps that was the intention, to try and find a means of warding off the development (I don’t know?) :? . It’s a shame because the Wrecclesham sandpit and surrounding area is a beautiful natural area if you can ignore the developer’s paraphernalia, and for a few years for me at least, was a reliable and fairly local site to go and see lots of butterflies, especially the Glanvilles :( .
Anyway, to cut a long story short; No heaths were seen (as I expected tbh :wink: ). There were butterflies present; the usual suspects including Small White; (possibly) Essex Skipper and Small tortoiseshell, but again no Lycaenids :? .
P IMG_9285 Small Tortoiseshell, Wrecclesham.jpg
Q IMG_9294 Small White, Wrecclesham.jpg
R IMG_9312 Large White, Wrecclesham.jpg
Male Essex?
Male Essex?
After Wrecclesham I moved onto Denbies encouraged by Dave Millerd’s sighting of Chalkhill Blues. When I arrived the cloud cover had broken and it was sunny and hot … much like you’d expect for July. Skippers danced and Marbled White floated in the long grasses along with Ringlet; Meadow Brown and the occasional Small Heath. However, it took some considerable searching to find a Chalkhill. By the time I left I’d only seen three males and no other lycaenids (Small Copper; Brown Argus or Common Blue).
T IMG_6425 Chalkhill Blue (male), Denbies.jpg
U IMG_9327 Marbled White (male), Denbies.jpg
One species I didn’t expect to see was a Dark Green Fritillary which whizzed by in typical rapid flight. This helped me make my mind up to try Box Hill zig-zag rather than move onto Bookham Commons for a Purple hairstreak sighting (your Purps and Whitters are beating my Blastreak Wurzel :( :wink: ).
Getting there always is tricky with the masses of cyclists in the area at this time of year. Presumably many were in practice for when they shut-down the Surrey roads on the 31st and the two wheelers take over :roll: :wink: However, the hills on the zig-zag proved to be a hot-spot for the DGF. If only they would settle. All the ones I saw were males and they hugged the ground dropping periodically as if to alight but continually avoiding doing so. It was hard work following them. In the end a faded example did touch down and I was able to get these shots, the underside courtesy of some wind buffeting.
V IMG_6457 Marbled White (female), Box Hill zig-zag.jpg
W IMG_9345 Dark Green Fritillary, Box Hill zig-zag.jpg
X IMG_9359 Dark Green Fritillary, Box Hill zig-zag.jpg
Bright orange males were patrolling too but they just wouldn’t stop so in the end I decided to call it a day. It had been a brilliant day, with a lot crammed into one day (18 species seen, just 3 shy of my single day’s record). Am up to my eyeballs in moth counts now (busy time of year) so it's good to have seen so many species. Hopefully I can pick up Lulworth and Wall before I go on Holiday in August :?:

Phil
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Trip to Alice Holt plus

Post by Pete Eeles »

Nice report, Phil!

"Male Essex?"

Definitely. The short sex brand, parallel with the leading edge of the forewing, makes this a dead cert.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Thanks for the confirmation Pete :) . I was about 90% certain after seeing the picture but didn’t realise at the time when taking the photo. Most of my previous Essex shots have been face on with the ‘ink dipped’ antennae tips being the giveaway.

Phil

NB. Actually I should’ve said Purple Hairstreak as my next target species as Wall and Lulworth Skipper would involve some considerable travel from Woking. Last year I nearly missed seeing one but for a chance sighting at Botany Bay Chiddingfold. I remember not so long ago you could find Purple Hairstreak quite easily flitting around in many of the oak trees in my area. At Bookham they could be found nectaring on Bramble flower and I’ve also found them taking salts on occasion. They seem to have gone missing in this neck of the woods in the last 3 or 4 years … or perhaps I’m not looking as frequently or as keenly as I used to do :?
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Philzoid :D You certainly did better than me - I'm back on the first year of my three year cycle so I've seen but not photographed PEs this year :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Wurzel wrote:I'm back on the first year of my three year cycle so I've seen but not photographed PEs this year
So things should be getting better next year :) If that cycle model is applied to me then it's only going to be a sighting for me to look forward to next year :shock: :wink:

BTW you're in no danger of me picking up Wall and/or White-letter hairstreaks in Suffolk. The Wall is in decline and according to Butterfly conservation Suffolk branch, White-letter hairstreak is a "Scarce resident Suffolk BAP species". Fingers and everything else will be crossed for second brood Swallowtail at Strumpshaw, again.

Phil

Return to “General”