Katrina

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Katrina

Botany Bay

Post by Katrina »

Today I went to Botany Bay a little later than planned. I arrived at 12. I found my first Emperor of the year at 2.27pm at the High point. Later, at 3.17 I found another near the triangle. It was somewhat worse for wear but kept disappearing and reappearing until about 4 when I left. Also seen were Silver-Washed Fritillaries, Large Skippers, Meadow Browns, Ringlets, a Red Admiral, a Large White, a Comma and a Purple Hairstreak high in a tree.
It was a pleasure to see Trevor again, and meet Millerd, Francis and Robin amongst others.
Following Trevor's previous post re bait the first Emperor was on Neil's bait although probably not a statistically significant observation as I think Trevor only had one whereas Neil had several areas baited.
Attachments
DSC02036.jpg
DSC02058.jpg
DSC02159.jpg
DSC02183.jpg
DSC02203.jpg
DSC02217.jpg
Last edited by Katrina on Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Katrina

Avoiding Rush Hour

Post by Katrina »

I decided to stop off at Chantry on the way home to sit out rush hour and found some Marbled Whites and my first Small Skipper of they year.
Attachments
DSC02273.JPG
DSC02297.JPG

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Katrina

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots of His Nibbs Katrina :D I was always led to believe that they were a morning sighting so you finding them in the afternoon has made me think tht perhaps I need to spend even longer out looking for them :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Wurzel, I was relieved I got away with the lie in this morning.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Well done finding those Emperors, Katrina. I watched Neil lay down the bait up at the high point and it's a pity I couldn't have stayed longer by the look of things! :) Good to meet you too - and put a name to a face.

Dave

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Katrina,
I'm over the moon that you had an audience with the Emperor...........
........... But you should have come today!.

Lovely to meet you again,
Trevor.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Lovely Emperors Katrina :) :mrgreen:
Wurzel wrote:Great shots of His Nibbs Katrina :D I was always led to believe that they were a morning sighting so you finding them in the afternoon has made me think tht perhaps I need to spend even longer out looking for them :D
Don't forget Wurzel, they don't read the books we get our information from :wink: !

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Great scenic shots again Katrina and well done with the PE.

Francis Kelly

Post by Francis Kelly »

Dear Katrina
Good to meet you at Chiddingfold. Thanks for finding the Emperor.
Francis Kelly

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Katrina, lovely Emperors, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Of course i'm very jealous :lol: Goldie :lol:

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Pauline, still awaiting the full purple shot like yours and losing track of Trevor's ones but in some ways I like having that to still aim for. Really enjoyed your Purple Hairstreak photos.
Good to meet you too Francis. I am sure you would have found it anyway.
Thank you Goldie, it was sheer undeserved luck I found them.

Katrina

Up North

Post by Katrina »

I have been on holiday for the past week up in Scotland. Rather cloudy weather and not much sun. I visited Insh Marshes several times and found many Ringlets and Chimney Sweeper Moths, a couple of Meadow Browns , a Common Blue and a Small Heath. Later in a bit of sun I found about 10 Northern Brown Argus, 2 Dark Green Fritillaries and a SPF. I also found a newt, a lizard and a frog. One trip round the Lochindorb area produced about 8 Large Heaths, in a different area to last year, and a trip to Grantown on Spey produced one Dark Green Fritillary and lots of Ringlets and Chimney Sweeper moths
Attachments
DSC02523.jpg
DSC02545.jpg
DSC02570.jpg
DSC02743.jpg
DSC02781.jpg
DSC02787.jpg

Jamie Burston

Post by Jamie Burston »

The purple background works amazingly, so beautiful! Brilliant scale detail.

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Jamie. There is a lot of purple up there at the moment with bell heather and thyme in flower.

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Glad to hear that you saw some butterflies up here despite our weather!! It has been like this for that last two years!!! :(

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Oh dear, if it is any consolation it feels like there has been much less sun than usual on the south coast this summer.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Those NBAs are little gems beutifully captured Katrina :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Wurzel, they are one of my favourite butterflies.

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

I saw one very friendly Red Admiral at Victoria Gardens today.
Attachments
DSC02813.jpg
DSC02826.jpg

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

This afternoon I walked round Pulborough Brooks with a friend . We saw many Meadow Browns and Red admirals. We also saw some skippers, Gatekeepers, Several Peacocks, two Commas, a Speckled Wood and a Painted Lady.
We went onto Chantry where I saw my first Chalkhill Blues of the year, one Silver-spotted Skipper (also my first of the year), a few Marbled Whites, Dark Green Fritillaries, a few small/ essex skippers , Red Admirals and lots of Meadow Browns and Gatekeepers.
Attachments
DSC02874.jpg
DSC02872.jpg

Return to “Personal Diaries”