Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Trevor

Post by trevor »

BATS...............

I have just returned from my Daughters house. We all had a meal in the garden. At dusk
she asked me if I would like to see the Bats emerge from the roof.
Her house in an immaculate ten year old end of terrace, and at the apex of the roof there is
a very small gap on the underside of the roof. She took a pen and writing pad to record the
number of Bats as they took flight.
Estimated numbers from a previous rough count suggested about 100 were resident in the loft.
To night we counted 522, and could still hear some chattering from inside suggesting that there
were still more to emerge.
What a fantastic sight !.

Trevor.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

It seems that you've been really busy Trevor - I'm breathless after trying to catch-up! :shock: :lol: Great Purp shots of and congrats on the Hairstreak - they're one of those species that you just have to be lucky with :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

A short visit to the old railway in Hailsham produced two ground searching male Holly Blues
this morning. Right on cue, the first one, after indulging, flew onto nearby vegetation and partially
opened its wings.
Back at home a fresh looking Comma flitted around the garden, allowing a couple of shots.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1260172.JPG
P1260173.JPG
P1260174.JPG
P1260171.JPG
P1260175.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

Through no fault of my own, I realised that I had left the search for White Letter Hairstreak a bit late.
The co-incidence of time and good weather only merged this afternoon.
But after much searching I managed to find three WLH, the most patient of which was quite worn.
The best specimen settled on a bramble leaf for a few seconds, allowing two lousy shots !.

Also a lovely Red Admiral landed on the shirt of a well known Sussex Butterflier, who was hoping for
a WLH sighting.
Attachments
P1260229.JPG
P1260230.JPG
P1260233.JPG
P1260234.JPG
P1260235.JPG
P1260232.JPG

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Trevor,

Great reports and photos recently :D

White letter Hairstreak is one of those species that I have seen often enough but usually fluttering around high up. I really must make the effort to get some decent photos sometime.

Cheers,

Neil.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Whitters are a tricky one Trevor - they seem to come down lower only then they're past their best! :roll: Those are all in pretty good nick though :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Oh! for the sight of just one Trevor, I don't care what condition it's in :D Goldie :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Wurzel, Neil and Goldie.

I left things a bit late this year. Last year was fabulous, I even found one in my home town.
The site near Brighton has Thistles and Brambles beneath the Elms. This combination seems
to bring them down. This is an afternoon site owing to the position of the trees relative to the Sun.

Trevor.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

You did really well with the Emperors, Trevor, your lovely shots all show that brilliant full purple sheen, Emperor No. 4 is really stunning :D

Nice shots of the White letter Hairstreaks too, these are a species I've not yet seen at close range. You seem to be blessed with good populations of WLH in your neck of the woods!

Mike

trevor

Post by trevor »

My brief visit to Eartham woods this afternoon found few active Butterflies, despite a temperature of 22c.
A particular Red Admiral, basking on the track, allowed a close up shot to be taken. I am very pleased
with the resulting image ie. the Butterfly is posing perfectly and that gorgeous red has been captured.
A nearby Peacock was not so obliging, taking off many times and landing for a split second each time.
Also present were several Large Skippers, and a few worn Ringlets.
Attachments
P1260280.JPG
P1260282.JPG
P1260283.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

P1260388.JPG
QUANTITY, QUALITY, DIVERSITY and ABUNDANCE.

Those four words just about sum up today.
Doug. and myself decided to visit Chiddingfold forest on a hunch that the summer brood Wood Whites
might be on the wing. Indeed they were !, but not in concentration, and were widely scattered. 15 to 20
would be a rough estimate.
I was indeed fortunate to see one egg laying, on what I am sure was Bird's foot trefoil. After she had flown
off I turned the leaf over and there was a small clutch of eggs ( see my poor image ).

The other highlight of the morning was the sheer numbers of Butterflies seen, and the diversity of species present.
Apart from the Wood Whites there was nothing rare on offer, but it was a joy to see so many.

None of them need naming on here, so here are the images from a truly memorable day.

Hope you enjoy,
Trevor.
Attachments
P1260384.JPG
P1260385.JPG
P1260387.JPG
P1260393.JPG
P1260392.JPG
P1260395.JPG
Wood White eggs ( sorry no macro lens )
Wood White eggs ( sorry no macro lens )
P1260390.JPG
P1260394.JPG
P1260386.JPG
P1260389.JPG
P1260396.JPG
P1260391.JPG
P1260397.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I'm glad there are some butterflies in abundance somewhere Trevor - things over this way are still a bit tricky :? hopefully things will buck up and the late summer species will ramp up :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

It was a fabulous visit Wurzel, maybe I should have mentioned the species seen
but not photographed yesterday.
They were; Comma, Red Admiral, Large/Small White, Large/Small Skipper, Ringlet,
Holly Blue and one Purple Emperor ( seen in the air, by another visitor ).

All the best,
Trevor.

trevor

Post by trevor »

I was fortunate, this morning to find this male Holly Blue basking with open wings,
probably taking a break from ground searching.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1260405.JPG
P1260406.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

Most envious of the Holly Blue, Trevor. :mrgreen: And the WLH as well, something I always struggle to find. :) A local spot has had the elms succumb unfortunately and they don't seem to have relocated anywhere nearby. :(

Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely photos of the Wood Whites Trevor and your Holly Blues are great too. Goldie :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

My neighbour has a Buddleia bush which partially overhangs my garden fence.
Needless to say I am getting quite a few visitors to my garden. This evening at 17.28,
this pristine Red Admiral took a break from the Buddleia and rested on my back fence.
Attachments
P1260438.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Holly Blue Trevor :mrgreen: They're one of those species that I seem to miss out on, I just don;t get time to put the effort into them :oops:
Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

As I was running a little late this morning I had to restrict my visit to Eartham wood to about 10 mins.
In this time I managed to see many Red Admirals and a few Peacocks nectaring on Thistles and
Hemp Agrimony.
Once at work the action continued, with Red Admirals flying erratically around the yard, one of them
chose to bask on one of the restored vintage buses.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1260458.JPG
P1260457.JPG
P1260456.JPG
P1260455.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great shots Trevor, I'd love to see the peacocks but their not moving here yet ,Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”