Bhutan Butterflies

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Bhutan Butterflies

Post by Padfield »

Hi Sonam. Congratulations on the well named wonderful hairstreak! That would be an exceptional thing to see under any circumstances, but to be a national first too - well done! :D

I am not an expert but I have access to the literature and I believe your Cigaritis is indeed elwesi. The three distinct subbasal spots, combined with the partially broken marginal line on the hindwing and more particularly the indwardly dentate submarginal band on the hindwing all point to this. My main source is Guide to the Butterflies of the Palearctic Region, Lycaenidae part III (2007), which covers this genus comprehensively.

Guy

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

Thanks Padfield, that is another first for bhutan as well.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Sonam. Butterflies of the Palearctic lists Bhutan as being in the range of elwesi. It states: RANGE: India (Uttar Pradesh, Darjeeling, Sikkim, Assam), Nepal, Bhutan, just out of Palearctic region.

Guy

The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

Well done, Sonam. That is one of the most beautiful insects I've ever seen.

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

While I cannot confirm i/d of the "Wonderful Hairstreak" your photos show an absolute stunner of a butterfly - clearly distantly related to our European Purple Hairstreak.

Jack

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Jack Harrison wrote: ..."Wonderful Hairstreak" ... clearly distantly related to our European Purple Hairstreak.
This shows just how close: http://tolweb.org/Theclini/111487

Purple hairstreak is now considered to be in Favonius (though that bit of the tree is in constant flux) and wonderful hairstreak is in Thermozephyrus.

Guy

Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

Hi everyone,

The rain is falling continuously. There is nothing much to do. I did get time to go for few days and one afternoon of sunshine, I got this Green Duke. Not to mention there were lots of Himalayan Sergeant. But atleast the farmers in Bhutan are happy. They get to plant paddy in the fields. I guess somebody's loss is somebody's gain.

rgds,
Sonam
Attachments
A happy farmer because of the rain!!!
A happy farmer because of the rain!!!
Green Duke, Punakha
Green Duke, Punakha

Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

Hi members,

Am posting from my earlier collections. There are six species from the pansy group in Bhutan. All have eyespots on the wings except for Chocolate pansy. They are commonly found in Bhutan but only two species are found at higher altitude. I have observed that Blue and Chocolate pansy can go upto 2800masl whereas the rest does not go up from about 1300 masl.

rgds,
Sonam
Attachments
Chocolate pansy
Chocolate pansy
Lemon Pansy
Lemon Pansy
Yellow Pansy
Yellow Pansy
Grey Pansy
Grey Pansy
Blue Pansy
Blue Pansy
Peacock Pansy
Peacock Pansy

Sylvie_h

Post by Sylvie_h »

Hello Sonam,

Fantastic butterflies and I am looking forward to see more. I particularly like your Dusty Diadem (stricking contrasts). I've just read a book about Bhutan and learned that a lot of efforts were made to preserve the ecological diversity of the country (including tigers), makes me want to go there!
Sylvie

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I have seen both Blue and Peacock Pansies but can't recall where. Singapore perhaps? Anyone know if they occur there?

Jack

Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

Dear Sylvie_h,

Glad to hear from you. I am told that the life cycle of dusky diadem is still not known. You are right about our conservation policies. Our constitution mandates that we preserve 60% our forest cover for all times n we are one of carbon neutral country in the world. Please to try to see the " Lost land of the Tigers " by BBC. They made a documentary on Bhutan n tigers. Anything on Bhutan you may like to know, please do let me know.

Rgds,
Sonam

Dear Jack,

I think Both the species are found in Singapore and some of the rest too. The butterflycycle group is one active like the UK butterflies group and I have found it to be one of the most informative place to know about the winged jewels. If u are already aware of it, then sorry though.

Rgds,
Sonam

Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

Dear Sonam,

I am mesmerised; by both your enthusiasm and the super pictures. I know this is a Butterfly Forum but it was lovely to see some of your Wild Flowers.

And, as someone who refers to Butterflies as being Fairies in Disguise and also likes to look at Wild Flowers as an alternative to Butterflies, I was enchanted to read (10 June), that 'sometimes butterfly fairies do lose their magic wand!!'

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Sonam. You should be appointed Minister for Bhutan Tourism. I tell you, if I were young enough and fit enough, I would off to Bhutan in a flash.

You really ought to visit UK if only to experience what must be some of the most incompetent politicians in the world. There IS some wildlife here and most of that would do a better job at running the country than the so-called human professionals.

We have to make our own wildlife at times:

The little cat's eyes light up at night - well they DID until he was knocked of his perch. He has been replaced by an Owl with bigger and brighter eyes.

Jack

Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

Hi Everyone,

Missed you all guys. Great pictures from the members and since the season has started, hope to keep you all updated. For now, please do find the pictures of Ludlow's Bhutan Glory (Bhutanitis ludlowi). These are from my archive which i took in 2012. I got the opportunity to meet the researcher and was allowed the take pictures from the net. I did try to go to that place in June, 2016 but was discouraged as it lies in the border area. But i do hope that members can atleast know about it pictorially. The species was later released in the same place.

rgds,
Sonam
Attachments
DSC09193.jpg
DSC09176.jpg

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Sonam, Bhutan seems to be almost magical for butterflies. You really DO have a treasure trove of species at your disposal.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

Hi David,

Nice to hear from you.As of now, About 720 of them have been identified. There will be more as Bhutan has relatively remained unexplored for centuries. I do hope to take pictures of some of them if not all.

rgds,
Sonam

David M

Post by David M »

Absolutely. To we in the West it is one of the most mysterious nations on earth. What a wonderful opportunity you have to maybe discover things unknown to anyone else.

I will follow your attempts with great interest.

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

I am enjoying your photographs. The different species of Junonia are fantastic. It must be the most colourful and varied genus of butterflies.
I can't imagine living somewhere where there are 720 species of butterflies. In this part of Scotland I only have 24 species to look forward to and then only for 8 months of the year!!
I look forward to seeing more of your pictures.

Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

NickMorgan wrote:I am enjoying your photographs. The different species of Junonia are fantastic. It must be the most colourful and varied genus of butterflies.
I can't imagine living somewhere where there are 720 species of butterflies. In this part of Scotland I only have 24 species to look forward to and then only for 8 months of the year!!
I look forward to seeing more of your pictures.
David M wrote:Absolutely. To we in the West it is one of the most mysterious nations on earth. What a wonderful opportunity you have to maybe discover things unknown to anyone else.

I will follow your attempts with great interest.
Thanks Nick and David. I will try to post frequently. As for now, i have uploaded a video in youtube of Pallid faun. I did not know how to post it here as the file format does not seem to be working. Here is the link though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA4wqDI ... e=youtu.be

rgds,
Sonam

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Sonam Dorji wrote: Thanks Nick and David. I will try to post frequently. As for now, i have uploaded a video in youtube of Pallid faun. I did not know how to post it here as the file format does not seem to be working. Here is the link though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA4wqDI ... e=youtu.be

rgds,
Sonam
Beautiful

Return to “Personal Diaries”