Kev Ling

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
kevling

Re: Kev Ling

Post by kevling »

Thanks David and James;
I felt fortunate to see them together and the action was fast and frantic. I popped my camera to 1000/sec shutter speed and hoped for the best :lol:. Within 10 seconds the male had got the message and it was all over.

Regards Kev

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Great Orange-tip action, something I've failed to record to date even though I've witnessed it several times! I know what you mean by ramping up the shutter speed and hoping for the best though :)

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love the sequence of Orange Tips Kev, when you see this activity you know it's Spring for certain Goldie :D

kevling

Post by kevling »

Wiltshire Holiday Part 1; 28th/29th May
Just returned from a family holiday to Wiltshire and Dorset and with some brownie points banked a couple of butterfly trips were enjoyed.With the west of the UK enjoying the sunny conditions,I was hopeful of adding a couple of 'lifers' to my list in the shape of Duke of Burgundy and Marsh Fritillary.

First stop on 28th May was Bentley Wood's East clearing to catch the Pearl Bordered Fritillary before they ended. We noted approximately 15 worn examples;
Pearl Bordered Frit - Bentley Wood 28.5.16 (5).JPG
Pearl Bordered Frit - Bentley Wood 28.5.16 (7).JPG
We were then treated to high speed flyby of a Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary, a brilliant orange colour compared to the PBF. Unfortunately the two examples we saw never settled, although just before leaving we did see this example (not sure if it is SPBF or PBF). Happy for someone to confirm for me.
SPBF - Bentley Wood 28.5.16.JPG
As we approached marker point 4, we saw a couple of small butterflies in an aerial display. As one landed, it proved to be my first ever Duke of Burgundy.
Duke at Bentley Wood - 28.5.16 (3).JPG
Duke at Bentley Wood - 28.5.16 v1.JPG
Also noted at Bentley Wood were Brimstone, Speckled Wood, Comma and a large number of Speckled Yellow Moths.
Speckled Yellow - Bentley Wood.JPG
A fine start to the holiday, if a little muddy :lol:

Regards Kev

Andy Wilson

Post by Andy Wilson »

Hi Kev. My Fritillary radar says that your 3rd pic is a Pearl, not a Small Pearl. However, it's good to know that the Small Pearls are there. Great to see Dukes there too.

kevling

Post by kevling »

Andy; Thanks for confirmation on PBF. I though it may have been but the outer wing margins looked different to the others I saw :?

Wiltshire Holiday Part 2
On Sunday 29th May, we ventured over to the Warminster area to an area kindly suggested to me (Cheers Wurzel :D ).
This was to see my first ever Marsh Fritillaries. I was not disappointed, with c 40 seen during a circular walk.
Marsh Fritillary, Cotley hill - 29.5.16.JPG
Marsh Fritillary, Cotley hill - 29.5.16 (5).JPG
Marsh Fritillary, Cotley hill - 29.5.16 (20).JPG
Marsh Fritillary, Cotley hill - 29.5.16 (25).JPG
Marsh Fritillary, Cotley hill - 29.5.16 (29).JPG
Another highlight for me was Grizzled Skipper
Grizzled Skipper,Cotley hill - 29.5.16 (1).JPG
and this fine looking Brown Argus
Brown Argus, cotley hill - 29.5.16.JPG
Other species noted were; Adonis Blue, Small Blue,Dingy Skipper, Orange Tip, Green Hairstreak, Brown Argus, Peacock and Small/Large White.
This was a great day,having finally caught up with the beautiful Marshies that I have yearned for so long.

Regards Kev

millerd

Post by millerd »

Nice selection from that famous hill, Kev. :)

I didn't know you were there - Philzoid, me and Wurzel himself were all out on that very hillside on the 29th... Shame to have missed you!

Dave

David M

Post by David M »

Those are beautifully marked Marshies, Kev. Ours near me often lack the hindwing spots and aren't usually anywhere near as photogenic.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots Kev - always glad to have been of assistance :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

kevling

Post by kevling »

Dave/Wurzel; Thanks. It's a shame I we didn't see you. It would have been nice to meet.
David: Thanks. I never knew they differed form area to area.

Wiltshire Holiday Part 3

Our final Butterfly encounter took us to the fabulous Fontmell Down over the border in Dorset.
My first photo is of a marsh Fritillary that looked a lot different from any other seen (and any photo I can find on this site).
I am wondering if I have encountered an aberration? I notice it has very small/faint yellow marginal spots and dark orange postdiscal markings compared the cream ones on others that I saw.
Marsh Frit - Fontmell Down -2.6.16 (3).JPG
This example differs greatly;y to the preceding image
Marsh Frit - Fontmell Down -2.6.16 (7).JPG
Also seen were Adonis Blue, Grizzled Skipper, Small Heath and Brimstone.
Adonis Blue - Fontmell Down 2.6.16 (2).JPG
Grizzled Skipper - Fontmell Down 2.6.16.JPG
Small Heath,Dorset.JPG
Brimstone, Fontmell Down 2.6.16 (1).JPG
A great time was had in the West Country seeing species I can only dream of in Suffolk. The Dukes and Marshies added two new species to my life tally too.

Regards Kev

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

You filled your boots with Marsh Frits Kev :D I reckon that your Marsh is an aberrant - :D much darker and less well marked than usual :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Although Marsh Fritillary is a highly variable species, your dark example is spectacularly beautiful.

kevling

Post by kevling »

David M / Wurzel : Thanks for you comments. Glad to see an ab, my first that I'm aware of :D

Regards Kev

kevling

Post by kevling »

A local field trip this weekend to see the continued emergence of Silver Studded Blues on the Ipswich Heaths. A personal count at Purdis Heath delivered 20+, which was the most I had personally witnessed there. As near back as the 1980s, it was not unusual to see numbers in their thousands, however with loss of habitat, that number was reduced to just 4 in 2010.Habitat management work by Butterfly Conservation and other groups has increased the area of heath land since then from 0.1 hectares to over 1 hectare, so this beautiful butterfly has seen a vastly improved prospect of saviour.
This first trio of photographs is of the only female seen.
Purdis Heath 25.6.16 (18).JPG
Purdis Heath 25.6.16 (21).JPG
Purdis Heath 25.6.16 (24).JPG
The best of the rest
Purdis Heath 25.6.16 (25).JPG
Purdis Heath 25.6.16 (27).JPG
Purdis Heath 25.6.16 (32).JPG
Kind Regards
Kev

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots Kev - hope the comeback continues :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

kevling

Post by kevling »

With the Great British Weather doing it's worst recently, I resorted to doing a little bio-blitz in my urban garden.
Holly Blues, Green Veined Whites and Orange Tips have all been egg laying, although I am yet to find a pupa from the Orange Tips/GVW caterpillars that have reached that stage. Although only a small garden, the phrase 'needle in a haystack' still comes to mind.Recent additions to the garden have also been Small Tortoiseshell, Meadow Brown and Speckled Wood.
I've included some other insect photographs too in the hope that someone can fill in the question marks. But despite the wet weather, the garden is thriving with insect activity. A reward for the planting that we have added over the past couple of years.
First the caterpillars;

Orange Tips
1st instar Orange Tip - garden (1).JPG
2nd Instar Orange Tip - Garden 4.6.16 (1).JPG
Garden.JPG
Green veined White
Green veined White - garden (1).JPG
Mullein Moth
Mullein Moth - Garden (3).JPG
Fresh Small Tortoiseshell
Garden - Jun 16.JPG
Meadow Brown
Jul 16 (1).JPG
Spotted Crane Fly
Spotted Cranefly (2).JPG
Unable to identify the these last two (any helpers?)
Garden.JPG
Garden (1).JPG
Kind Regards
Kev

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Good to see how you have turned the bad weather into an opportunity for a garden safari! I'll jump in with both feet and suggest your first unidentified beastie is a Ladybird larva - possibly a 14-spot - and the other is [not - see Vince's post below] a Chafer Beetle - possibly Rose Chafer. Others will doubtless rush in to correct me! As I have mentioned before in my own diary, my wife is much better at finding mini-beasts than I am - I must get her to help me find such interesting critters at home :)
Last edited by MikeOxon on Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

I would agree with Mike on the first image being a type of Ladybird larva, but would suggest that the second is a Rosemary beetle which is regarded as an invasive foreign pest. https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=555

Vince

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I fear you are probably right, Vince. Looking more closely, it does not have the branched antennae of a chafer. I admit I did not know about the Rosemary Beetle but it looks as though it is a pest that should be reported. Pleased you were able to put me right :)

Mike

kevling

Post by kevling »

Thanks Mike & Vince for your input and advice.
I shall go a hunting in my herb garden and get rid of the little blighters!

Regards Kev

Return to “Personal Diaries”