Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Katrina

Re: Trevor

Post by Katrina »

Well done Trevor! I haven't seen any on the Sussex website yet, I wonder if it is a first.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

That's notably early for Grayling, Trevor. Great find!

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Very unusual, Trevor. In fact, to me that doesn't look like a standard British Grayling at all. The white spots on the forewing underside look completely wrong, and the hindwing patterning just doesn't look right either. Compare this one from last year:
GY1 020815.JPG
Is it one of the European species? Can you post your photo again, so we can see them on the same page to compare them better?

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That looks like a Great Banded Grayling Trevor :shock: There's a photo of a mating pair taken by Pete in Bulgaria in the 'Butterflies of Europe' App that is a dead spit of that :shock:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI again everyone,
After an absence of over a week it's good to be back.
I have also been a little bit naughty. The Grayling image was indeed taken this morning ( 10.50am our time )
on the way to Montpellier Airport, after a Butterfly holiday to the Cevennes region of France.
I will report some of the highlights of the week over the next few days, but for now here is an image of
some of the truly spectacular terrain the area has to offer.

( You're spot on Wurzel ! )
Attachments
P1250192.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

You charlatan, Trevor!!!

I thought it was unduly early!!!

That'll teach me not to scrutinise images more carefully! I shall be watching you with suspicion in future! :)

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Me too! Have a good holiday and well done Dave for noticing!

trevor

Post by trevor »

The small Town of Florac, near the Village of Cocures, our base for the week.
The small Town of Florac, near the Village of Cocures, our base for the week.
THE CEVENNES Part 1.

Each day we were taken to various sites and habitats by mini bus. At most sites visited, just like over here,
Small Heaths were found in large numbers, but unlike here there were Pearly Heaths sometimes flying among them.
This meant that much time was spent keeping an eye on the Small Heaths, looking for their more exotic cousins.

Here are a few images of the Pearly Heath.
Attachments
P1250197.JPG
P1250194.JPG
P1250195.JPG
P1250196.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

One of the more unusual critters we encountered was the bizarre but beautiful Ascalaphid.
Usually found in areas of long grass, where they would normally rest, they took on the
appearance of a Moth like Dragon Fly in the air. In many areas we visited the Ascalaphid
could be found.
Attachments
P1250198.JPG
P1250199.JPG

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Hi Trevor. Me and Matt also went to the Cevennes and stayed in Florac a few weeks ago. Like here the season was running late and we didn't see too many butterflies. Fortunately we were also looking for birds and orchids. Looks like you had a good trip. Beautiful area!!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

If Small Heaths looked like Pearly Heath I wouldn't mind their annoying habits quite so much :wink: Cracking shots Trevor, looking forward to some more :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

THE CEVENNES Part 2.

The Blues.
If the Heaths needed close examination to determine species, then the Blues were a minefield.
Common Blues were found in large numbers, alongside a few exotics, and I am sure that many
exotics were missed whilst we chased after a Common.
Also naming an unfamiliar type of Blue was often done by consensus of opinion or by consulting
books over dinner, so I do apologise if any ' names ' are incorrect.
The view from my hotel balcony.
The view from my hotel balcony.
Attachments
Mudpuddling with friend !.
Mudpuddling with friend !.
Mud puddling Blues
Mud puddling Blues
Underside of Green Underside Blue.
Underside of Green Underside Blue.
Green Underside Blues, mud puddling.
Green Underside Blues, mud puddling.
Chapmans Blue female
Chapmans Blue female
Chequered Blue
Chequered Blue
Mazarine underside
Mazarine underside
Mazarine Blue
Mazarine Blue

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love the Blues Trevor and I thought that Grayling looked Different :lol: Goldie :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

For my first Butterfly trip since arriving home from France I thought I had better go over to
Iping Common before the Silver Studded Blues fade away, having missed them last year.
My first one was found fairly close to the car park, but all others were further into the Common.
Some males were quite worn, but there were enough fresh Butterflies to keep the camera happy.
Many females were present, but were difficult to photograph, preferring to stay low down in the Heather.
Also seen , a very pale, and slightly larger than normal, Small Tortoiseshell ( see what you think ).
On the way back to the car I spotted a Beautiful Demoiselle posing between flights.

PS. I made a mistake with my earlier posting, the ' view from my balcony ' is in fact a view
of the South Downs in Sussex..... Silly Boy !!!.
Attachments
P1250292.JPG
P1250293.JPG
P1250297.JPG
P1250296.JPG
P1250294.JPG
P1250295.JPG
P1250298.JPG
P1250290.JPG
P1250291.JPG

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Trevor,

Just seen your Grayling...You little tinker :D :lol:

I love those images of the Blues from France, great stuff.

I had a few pale Tortoiseshells like that one last year, they didn't look faded as such, just pale.

Cheers,

Neil.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Hi Trevor,

The Chapmans blue on you finger is actually Adonis blue-see the chequered wing fringe?

Love the Chequered blue. I've been there myself and we saw them. Did you see the Scarce swallowtails? They were everywhere on our trip,a few years ago.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Our tour leader was emphatic about the Chapmans Blue.
The ' Blues ', many of which looked similar to each other, caused much discussion
throughout the holiday.
Yes I did see the Scarce Swallowtail. One image of this species turned out to be
the best shot I have ever taken. Watch this space !.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

essexbuzzard wrote:Hi Trevor,

The Chapmans blue on you finger is actually Adonis blue-see the chequered wing fringe?
That was my first thought when I saw that picture as well...

Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

THE CEVENNES Part 3.

No Butterfly holiday would be complete without a sighting of one of the spectaculars.
Owing to the very variable weather over the week, only one species of Swallowtail appeared.
Just four Scarce Swallowtails put in an appearance, of which two settled. The specimen on the
endemic Valerian was in perfect condition, but very fidgety. The second Swallowtail gave me
an exhibition of it's flying skills, gliding and swooping, almost disappearing into the distance
then returning for more close encounters. On several occasions it almost touched my neck and head
as it glided past, possibly attracted to my sweet smelling sun block. One of it's chosen landing spots
was in a Pine tree, allowing me my most satisfying Butterfly image to date !.

Hope you enjoy it too.
Attachments
P1250311.JPG
P1250313.JPG
P1250312.JPG
P1250314.JPG
P1250315.JPG

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

That view from your balcony is surely Le Col de Windover!!

Return to “Personal Diaries”