Marbled Skipper ID, please

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Trik

Marbled Skipper ID, please

Post by Trik »

Andalucia again, 01.06.16 : I think it's a Marbled Skipper, but the dark dots along the edge of the hind wings upperside makes me wonder.
query marbled skipper_0225.jpg
query marbled skipper_0229.jpg
Thanks again
Trik
Chris Jackson

Re: Marbled Skipper ID, please

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi Trik,
Have you considered Southern Marbled Skipper ?
Chris
Trik

Post by Trik »

Thanks for the suggestion, Chris, and it looks closer than Marbled, although it seems to lack the "unh distinctive reticulated pattern" of the Southern Marbled. This year was the first time we had seen any Marbled Skippers, and there seem to be some subtle differences between them - plus the False Mallow to add to my confusion. So, an expert opinion would be much appreciated!

Trik
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

It looks remarkably like Southern Marbled. If not, I can't imagine what it might be.

Roger
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Trik. I'm sure Chris is right. That was my immediate thought, on seeing the first picture, and the underside seems to confirm it. It's certainly not marbled skipper, nor mallow or false mallow, nor tufted marbled, so in any case that leaves only southern marbled by a process of elimination.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Trik

Post by Trik »

Southern Marbled it is, then! Thanks, all. Now I think I have misnamed the other "Marbled Skippers" I photographed, as they look very similar, apart from, maybe, one...

Thanks again
Trik

Return to “Overseas”