Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Goldie M

Post by David M »

You've certainly seen good temperatures lately, Goldie, which compensates slightly for the awful conditions you had in spring.

Glad to see Painted Ladies have made it up North - they're starting to appear near me too!

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

That's right David and it's been 28 degrees today :D I hope the weather changes down South for the better I'm down South next week :D
It was great to see to the Painted Ladies up here so soon let's hope other's follow them . Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Today in the back garden I saw another Painted Lady, I don't think it was the same one has yesterday because this one seemed more faded, it was still a nice surprise though, could be we've had another big influx arrive. Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_8289.jpg
IMG_8287.jpg
IMG_8286.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great news about the Painted Lady Goldie - your garden has produced the goods again! :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Best thing I did for the Garden Wurzel was buying that Boules Mauve :D Goldie :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

We've just got back from a very wet holiday :( But thanks to Pauline I got two more firsts :D Pauline, it was a pleasure to meet you and hope fully we'll meet again this summer :D I hope your hands recover quickly and you take more great photos :D I loved your animals and hope your Rabbits okay, thank you so much for putting your self out to meet us :D

Pauline showed me my first Wood Whites and Silver Studded Blues so thanks to her I got what I went to see and that was it for the rest of the week as for has Butterflies were concerned. We still enjoyed our holiday and managed to miss the showers, my Husband was recovering from an illness so the rest did him good, we did go to Warnham CP and we enjoyed seeing the Great Crested Glebe swimming with her babies on her back and we saw a rather handsome Dragon Fly, no Idea what's it's called. Also one night this lovely White moth flew onto our kitchen window so I just had to take a photo :lol:
Also there was a Swan with her young family, a young Heron and my first really good look at a Cormorant, so all in all not a total loss :D Thanks again Pauline, you saved the week for me with two more firsts :D Goldie :D
Attachments
Silver SB Female
Silver SB Female
Silver SS
Silver SS
Silver SS Male
Silver SS Male
Wood White
Wood White
Wood White in flight
Wood White in flight
Wood White
Wood White
Wood White
Wood White
Unknown Moth
Unknown Moth
Dragon Fly
Dragon Fly
Great Crested Glebe
Great Crested Glebe
Swan with Cygnets
Swan with Cygnets
Young Heron
Young Heron
Cormorant
Cormorant

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

It was great spending time with you both Goldie. A pity about the weather but I am pleased that you got to see the butterflies you especially wanted to see. I have to say tho' that my favourite shot is that really cute Swan family - very nicely composed and I love the way you have captured the reflection in the water. I am sure we will meet up again later in the year :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Two lifers on any trip is good going Goldie :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Pauline, I've started this post about four times and kept pressing the wrong button, I'm really not with it yet :lol:
It was great meeting you and I hope to do the same for the BHS :D I don't think you can really catch the delicate WW properly, their like white feathers in the breeze :D Any way I've put the photo in you mentioned
plus a few more but feel they don't do the Butterflies the justice they deserve. :roll:

Thanks Wurzel, it was due to Pauline that I found them I wouldn't have had a clue where to go other wise, that's the great thing about this web site ( you get to meet such great people interested in the same things you are) Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_8341.jpg
IMG_8326.jpg
IMG_8327.jpg
IMG_8319.jpg

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Congrats, Goldie. Sorry about the weather down here,but at least you got enough breaks to produce two lifers. That can't be bad!

jenks

Post by jenks »

Glad to hear you had a good holiday and took some fine photos of it. Two lifers might just make up for the poor weather ! The dragonfly is a Beautiful Demoiselle by the way. And aptly named, too.

Jenks.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Wood Whites and Silver-studded Blues are a great pair of species to have seen, Goldie. Both make great photos, as you've demonstrated!

Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thank you Dave, both species saved the week for me :D The weather was awful but it's one thing you can't control so it's a case of get on with it, luckily Pauline was on hand. :D

Hi! Jenks I appreciate your comments and has you say two lifers make for a good holiday :D Thank you also for naming the Dragon Fly it's well suited to it's name. :D

We can't control the weather essex and if I 'd been at home it would have been the same as it was I got two lifers :D

Being has the weather up here is going to be miserable again for a couple of days which will stop us going any where I'm consoling myself with a few more shots I took of the Silver SB's Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_8417.jpg
IMG_8388.jpg
IMG_8378.jpg

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I went to Hall-Lee-Brook today I was amazed how quickly the grass can grow in the space of a couple of weeks. :D We had to wade through the tall grass, I was pleased to find more Thistles growing than I saw last year so the Sun and heavy showers did some good at least.
The only Butterflies I saw were Speckled Wood and Large Skippers but seeing has I only got side shots of the Large SK before I was quite pleased with the full shots. Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_8538.jpg

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Very pleased to know you saw Wood White and SSBlue. We used to have Wood Whites in a local wood but, sadly, the population died out. They are such beautiful delicate creatures.

Mike

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

It's such a shame Mike to hear they've died out where you are but it looks like the Dukes also are in a bad way at Gait Barrows with the most being six in all being seen, I count myself lucky at having seen the one even if it was quite a distant shot, I hope some thing can be done to increase the species up there. Goldie :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Today the weather forecast was for dry weather, however we still had a shower :roll: Any way my Husband's
been a bit( under the weather lately) so we decided to have a run some where near, so we went to Southport to the Dunes.
We saw very few Common Blue's but there were lots of Small Heath's, my attention was taken with the amount of Burnett's there, one looked different but I suppose it was more weathered than the other's , no Graylings yet though. Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_8586.jpg
IMG_8576.jpg
IMG_8558.jpg

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Goldie,

Just catching up on your diary, glad that you managed to see the Wood Whites and Silver-studded Blues :D

Cheers,

Neil.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Neil, it 's always fantastic to see what you've traveled a long to see :D Hope I do the same with the Emperor next month. :D

Yesterday was lovely and Sunny but the only Butterfly I saw was a Meadow Brown, it was one of those Day's when you spot one and then it decides to fly into the long Grass, Great! I was at Fleetwood another short Journey for us :D (My trip to the Lakes still on hold)
We then traveled down the coast to Lytham and the park there, I had my cousin with us (who's not into Butterflies at all,) so I left her talking to my Husband ( who's still taking it easy) and wandered off on my own, still no Butterflies which I was surprised at because the Gardens were lovely, may be if the weather picks up again ( raining today) we'll get to see some.Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_8607.jpg
IMG_8602.jpg
IMG_8599.jpg

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi Goldie, you asked me about Brown Hairstreaks in Kent and I wasn't much help (pure ignorance I'm afraid) but I bumped into AllanW today who's far more "in the loop" than me and he mentioned BH's recently having been discovered in North Kent, so maybe you could send him a message?

Best wishes,

Hoggers

Return to “Personal Diaries”