essex buzzard

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Katrina

Re: essex buzzard

Post by Katrina »

Your rabbit photo made me smile!

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

A cute baby rabbit. What's not to like!

2 June. Our second and last day on the Isle of Wight was expected to have better weather. We spent the morning at Compton bay, where it was cold and grey but, painfully slowly, things improved with a few sunny spells by lunchtime. Our target here,of course,was Glanville Fritillary. We eventually found some. Not many, 2 here on the under cliffs,and one up on Compton down. The underside is quite as attractive as the upper side. Common blues were at the bay,and I found my first Large Skippers of the year.

After lunch,we moved onto the downs. Here, Brown Argus,Small Blues, Dingy Skippers and a late Wall were found. The kidney and horseshoe vetch and the rock rose were a riot of colour on the downs,and thrift,or sea pink were splendid at the bay. On the downs,there was a Dartford warbler.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Next day,we left the Isle of Wight,and headed down to Cornwall. Traffic was very heavy, and it took until 4pm at arrive at Kynance Cove. Fortunately,it was warm und sunny by then,and there was plenty of time to walk to Lizard Point for an ice cream and back. As usual, Small Pearl-border Fritillaries were easy to find,and we also saw Large Whites, Common Blues and Small Heaths. As well as buzzards,Cornish chough were at Kynance. It was great,after such a long drive,to stretch our legs in such a wonderfully scenic place. :)
Attachments
Lizard point
Lizard point
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Meadow pipit
Meadow pipit

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Stunning seascapes Essex :D - the Glanvilles weren't to shabby either :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Great images, EB. I must get down there myself one day. The scenery (and the wildlife) looks stunning.

trevor

Post by trevor »

A stunning sequence of images from the IOW and Cornwall.
If the Small Pearls were easy to find, does this mean that they are doing well at that location ?.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Yes,Trevor, SPBF are doing just fine in Cornwall,and we saw then at just about all the places we visited. There has been a slight decline inland, perhaps, but they remain locally common on the coast.

4 June. Today we visited the marshy fields at Hayle Kimbro Pool, a recently discovered Marsh Fritillary site. Once we entered the damp areas,and the sun came out,adults were soon found in number. Most were fresh males,suggesting they were still emerging. Many males were on territory, flying at any insect that passed. A fresh female was persued with vigour and went to ground,and mated with one of the males. A few fresh male Small Pearl-borders were present, with Common Blues and,near the hedge, Speckled Woods. Lots of dragonflies were at the lake,a cuckoo and willow warbler were singing and a circling pair of buzzards mewing.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Mark,

Great reports and photos from the IOW :D

Those Marsh Fritillaries from the Lizard are bringing back memories of when I was there last year, I cannot believe how quickly that year has flown by.
Reading your report has also made me realise that 12 months ago I was watching SPBFs on the Lizard and then last week I was watching them up at the other end of the UK in Scotland.

Cheers,

Neil.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks Neil, yes I've been reading about you exploits up there. For me it's the other was around,as I was up there last year!

After crab sandwiches at Mullion Cove,we went for a walk along the cliffs,and back to Kynance. SPBF were again present,with more Common Blue and a Red Admiral too. Kestrel,Ravens and a pair of Cornish chough said were seen,and a splendid display of wild flowers were on the cliffs. :D
Attachments
Early purple beside the seaside
Early purple beside the seaside
Burnet rose
Burnet rose
Ravens
Ravens
Mullion cove
Mullion cove
Flowers at mullion cove
Flowers at mullion cove

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

On Sunday 5th,I walked the 14 mile section of coast path from St. Ives to Pendeen Watch. This section is tough and remote, with rugged cliffs and rocky scrambles. But it is a magnificent stretch of coastline and, halfway along and just inland, is the lovely village of Zennor,with its pub and cafe,the perfect lunch stop.

The weather was rather dull and misty,but warm,and it improved later.

A lovely wren and stonechat were singing early on. In the wet flu he's were many Heath spotted orchids and soon the first Small Pearl-border Fritillaries were seen-there were to accompany me throughout the walk. Here they seem to live in loose,open populations,covering mile after mile of habitat,in contrast to the small woodland colonies at the eastern end of their range,where they are restricted to tiny,enclosed fragments is suitable habitat.

Grey seals were in a sheltered cove,and some young Ravens were on the cliffs. A Green Hairstreak was seen,and several Painted Ladies and Speckled Woods. After a few hour tough walking,I arrived at the picture postcard village of Zennor,for lunch.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Stone circle at trevalgan cliff
Stone circle at trevalgan cliff
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

So,after refuelling at the Tinners Arms,I was ready to go again. More SPBF and Speckled Woods and several Painted Ladies, one of which showed well. A couple of Walls too. The visibility had improved but now,and the rugged,windswept coast with tiny coves and translucent water was magnificent as I approached Gurnard's Head. Common and lesser white throat were singing,and a pair of Cornish chough were seen. By now,the distinctive lighthouse at Pendeen Watch could be seen in the distance. Looking seaward,the views continued to be spectacular,the slopes dotted with foxgloves. As I approached the finish,a dip lead down to a little beach where,after some hard walking,a chance to dip my feet in the cold sea was too tempting to resist.
Attachments
Zennor
Zennor
Gurnard's head
Gurnard's head
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Pendeen watch
Pendeen watch

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

The next day dawned fine and bright. At Hayle Towans, the sand dunes are home to an extensive and large colony of Silver-studded Blues. It was only the start of the season,so we were surprised how many blues were seen,and how easy they were to find-within minutes of arriving. Here they use birds foot trefoil as their caterpillar food plant, unlike colonies inland.

More Small Pearl-bordered Frits were speeding around,plus Large Skipper, Common Blue, Painted Ladies, Red Admiral and Small Heaths. By lunchtime,it was clouding over,so we went for a pasty in Hayle,and our butterfly day was over.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Essex, I'm just catching up on your posts and your scenery shots are fantastic, I think we'll try Cornwall next year :D The variety of Butterflies you'e posted so far have been great shots as well. Goldie :D

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks Goldie. If you are going,this is the time of year to go,from a butterfly prospective at least. Early August is good,too, for in west Cornwall in particular the Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary has two generations, and there are usually good numbers of Clouded Yellows and Walls then too.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Tuesday 8th. Today, I decided to walk the coast path from Porthleven to Marazion, as I've never seen the views from there. Well I still haven't-because there was sea fog throughout the 11 mile walk. One of the first things I noticed was the Painted Ladies. They were everywhere,often flying up off the footpath in front of me Kittiwakes were visible through the fog,and a peregrine was on an old mine stack.

Orange Tips are scarce in west Cornwall,so I was delighted to discover a colony at Prussia Cove,where several males were disturbed from vegetation. I could find no garlic mustard or cuckoo flower,but then I noticed flowering sea kale. Sure enough,I quick search soon revealed the Orange eggs on the kale flowers.

A hummingbird hawk moth was seen and,near Wheal Prosper,another pair of Cornish chough. A brief clearance in the fog revealed Large Skippers, Common Blues, Large Whites, red Admiral and Speckled woods. Near Marazion, a kestrel was seen and sand martins were breeding on the sandy cliffs. At Marazion,the splendour of St. Michael's Mount appeared through the mist.
Attachments
Porthleven
Porthleven
Peregrine
Peregrine
Wheal prosper
Wheal prosper
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
St Michaels mount
St Michaels mount

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I do enjoy the picturesque shots you include in your diary Mark, along with glimpses of other wildlife - even the fog doesn't detract from it :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I agree with Pauline, infact I think the shot of St MM is great, Goldie :D

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks Pauline and Goldie, I like other wildlife too and the countryside in general, so I'm glad people like the images which I hope gives that little bit extra.

By the evening,all the fog had gone and visibility was very good. Here is a view to St. Michael's Mount from Madron carn, where Painted Ladies and Red Admirals were hill-topping as usual.
Attachments
image.jpeg

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

That's a great view and the cow's make it original :D Goldie :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Mark,

I too like looking at the scenery shots in your reports, they really add to the 'feel for the place' :D

Great images in the mist, very atmospheric...you can almost hear someone saying 'don't go off the path after midnight' (in best west country accent) :wink:

Cheers,

Neil.

Return to “Personal Diaries”