Daneway Banks

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Mark Tutton

Daneway Banks

Post by Mark Tutton »

Nice to see that this site has now been purchased by Gloucester Wildlife Trust which should secure the future of the large blue see http://www.gloucestershirewildlifetrust ... ve-secured
Kind regards
Mark :D
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Susie

Re: Daneway Banks

Post by Susie »

Is this the better of the sites to see large blue at?
David M

Post by David M »

Yes, Susie.

I've now been twice and it is considerably larger than Collard Hill and I believe more Large Blues fly there too.

There's also a cracking little old fashioned pub you can have a drink in after filling your boots with arion. :D
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I'm considering a trip here this year, any idea when peak flight time is?
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

I'd guess it's a way off yet, Bugboy. The weekend after next would be my choice - by then you should find females nectaring on the marjoram.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

David M wrote:I'd guess it's a way off yet, Bugboy. The weekend after next would be my choice - by then you should find females nectaring on the marjoram.
Thanks David, that sounds perfect it being my weekend off. Now I just have to keep my fingers crossed we get nice weather :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

There is a pub right opposite the entrance - The Daneway Inn GL7 6LN - great site!
Kind regards
Mark
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Susie

Post by Susie »

David M wrote:Yes, Susie.

I've now been twice and it is considerably larger than Collard Hill and I believe more Large Blues fly there too.

There's also a cracking little old fashioned pub you can have a drink in after filling your boots with arion. :D
Many thanks! :D and a pub too; happy days!
Susie

Post by Susie »

Just need the weather to play ball now.
CJB

Post by CJB »

Hi Wurzel,

As this is a relatively local patch to me, I can give you some pointers.

Aim for a village called Sapperton and go down the steep hill towards the pub.

Before you get to the pub, about 2/3 of the way down the hill there is a good place to park on the left.

There is a small gate to the left of the pub across the road which takes you through and up to the banks. I have seen LB here on the right and there are normally loads of butterflies all the way up the bank in front of you.

The blues when they are out tend to be at the top section of the bank in about a 10m rise just over the fence and then if you follow the path along, you can see them almost anywhere.

I hope you see them, but if you don't, enjoy the carpet of MW's which is quite a spectacle.

Good luck with your quest!

Flutter on!

CJB

Return to “Sites”