millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Philzoid

Re: millerd

Post by Philzoid »

Great Small Pearls Dave and a nice lateral underside shot :)
millerd wrote:Finally, I tracked down a very small (1 cm?) Brimstone caterpillar on buckthorn - I'm sure there were many more there somewhere.
Took you less than 2 minutes to find it tbf, and thanks for showing me where to look :)
millerd wrote: I was told on a previous visit this might be an Oak Eggar - Phil believed it could be a Fox Moth.
I think it is too early in the flight season for an Oak Eggar. Aside from a Fox moth there's the possibility of it being a male Emperor

Wonder if False Apollo managed to get himself a Small Pearl picture?

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks, all - the SPBF were a fine end to a terrific day out. I'm not sure we'll ever know about the moth, Philzoid. Never mind. :)

Only caterpillars today - not a peep of sun here since Sunday, and cool grey and windy with it, so all self-respecting butterflies were hidden away. My usual walk turned up Orange Tip caterpillars on some kind of crucifer - one with bright yellow flowers.
OT cat1 020616.JPG
OT cat2 020616.JPG
OT cat3 020616.JPG
OT cat4 020616.JPG
OT cat5 020616.JPG
Dave

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Plant I think could be Charlock or White Mustard (Sinapsis arvensis or alba)

You'll have to find me an Orange-tip caterpillar when we next meet up in the field :wink:

Andy Wilson

Post by Andy Wilson »

Lovely SPBF pics! I'm on a mission to see all native Fritillary species this year. So far I've seen Pearl-Bordered, Marsh and Glanville, so now that we have sadly lost the SPBF in my home county of East Sussex, I think a trip to Bentley Woods may soon be in order.

millerd

Post by millerd »

More caterpillars today, Phil - but much easier to find than the others... :) Charlock seems the likely candidate: than you for that. I've not seen Orange Tips on this before and it's obviously been preferred to the large amount of Garlic Mustard around this year.

Thanks, Andy. Best of luck with the fritillaries - I think Bentley would be your nearest for SPBF. :)

Friday was yet another grey day here. Like yesterday, I think the sunshine might not have been that far to the west, but I didn't have the opportunity to find out. In a brighter spell this, afternoon I did venture out, seeing a couple of brave GVW and a single worn Small Heath being blown around in the breeze.
SH 030616.JPG
GVW1 030616.JPG
GVW2 030616.JPG
GVW3 030616.JPG
GVW5 030616.JPG
At times like these, I start to look at other insect life, and got shots of this attractive dameselfly...
damsel 030616.JPG
...and of a tiny juvenile cricket of some sort.
cricket 030616.JPG
on the way back home, with the brightness disappearing again, I found a small huddle of Small Tortoiseshell caterpillars.
ST cats 030616.JPG
Considering the fact that Peacocks outnumber Tortoiseshells 10 to 1 around here, I find far more Tortoiseshell nests than Peacocks. Very odd.

Dave

Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Nice Speckled Bush Cricket Leptophyes punctatissima Dave. Have seen plenty of adults but not the nymph (it lives up to its name with those markings) :)

I think your damselfly is a female Banded Demoiselle (Calyopteryx splendens) which has lighter coloured wings than the v. similar Calyopteryx virgo (Beautiful Demoiselle) Lovely shot :D

Phil

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots of a really smoky GVW Dave :D I'd go with Phizloids Damselfly ID - the app I use suggests that the obvious white wing-spot (false pterostigma whatever that means?) is possibly the easiest way to distinguish between the two females. Why are teh females always the most difficult to ID - it's like Adonis/Chalkhill all over again :roll: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks Phil and Wurzel - between you, you have increased my knowledge of damselflies by about 1000% :). It certainly is a beautiful creature. And thanks for the cricket ID too, Phil - it was a tiny insect, but amazingly marked. :)

One of my regular trips to the Midlands today, and though the weather remained obstinately cloudy, it really warmed up a lot. In the afternoon, along with all my boys, I was able to pop into Ryton for an hour or so. We walked into the woods, and very soon found that the paths we normally take through to the meadows had been blocked off, so that even the path along the edge of the meadow was inaccessible. I assume this is to prevent access by casual visitors to ensure the habitat remains unspoiled. Making a circuit within the wood, with the brightness and warmth increasing, we did spot a few butterflies: a Holly Blue, a Brimstone, a Large White, a Green-veined White and three Wood Whites. The latter individuals were unmistakable in their floppy meanderings, and never once stopped for more than a second: warm enough to fly, but not dark enough to stop. I'd not seen them here before. The cloud then thickened a bit, and during our return to the Country Park we saw not a single butterfly.

On the way back home, I had to stop on the Southam Bypass to check the Small Blue colony. The kidney vetch covered the roadside cutting in a thick carpet - quite an extraordinary amount of the plant in fact.
View 040616.JPG
Parking in a convenient layby, I only had to walk a few metres to find a couple of Small Blues.
SBx2 040616.JPG
SB1 040616.JPG
Within ten or twenty more, I had found a dozen: no doubt there were many more.
SB2 040616.JPG
SB3 040616.JPG
SB5 040616.JPG
SB6 040615.JPG
One or two were opening up a bit, despite the overcast - it was after all still around 20 degrees even though it was past six o'clock.
SB4 040616.JPG
Most, like this one, appeared to be females. The low light levels didn't make for the best of photos unfortunately.

Dave

kevling

Post by kevling »

Dave,

Some nice shots of the Small Blue you have there. It's nice to just pullover in a lay-by and be confronted by so many.

Regards
Kev

Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Amazing carpet of Kidney vetch :o

jenks

Post by jenks »

I agree with Philzoid and Wurzel re the damselfly. I`ve made the mistake in the past of calling a green damselfly "Emerald D. " and been corrected. Female Banded Demoiselle has tinted wings and the end of the abdomen is tinged bronze. Emerald D has clear wings and the body is completely..........emerald ! Large numbers of Banded Demoiselle and Common Blue Damselfly along the River Wye at Monmouth late this afternoon. I had been on a walk with Gloucs Butterfly Conservation, led by Simon Barker, around May Hill common and Newent Wood from 11.00 to 13.45 hours and had sightings of Wood White 4, Common Blue 5, Green veined White at least 5, Small Heath at least 10 and 1 each of Large White, Small White, Speckled Wood and Painted Lady. So they`re coming closer to Wales, David ! Also saw Spotted Bee-fly, which I was told is quite rare, and male and female of Broad bodied Chaser.

May Hill common and Newent woods were a new site for me. Well worth a visit; good variety of bird life and flora too. Thanks to Simon for leading the walk.

Jenks.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks, Kev and Phil - there are bound to be other havens alongside main roads. In fact, next to the southbound carriageway of the M40 between J10 and J9 there are several banks covered in wildflowers, including one with extensive kidney vetch that probably has Small Blues. :)

Thanks for the additional info about those damsels, Jenks - I shall take more of an interest in them in future. :)

At last, a proper sunny day. I was limited in how far I could go, however, but I persuaded Elliot he might like a walk at Aston Rowant. It was pleasantly cooler up on the top of the slope on the north side of the motorway, but aside from a Speckled Wood right at the start, there were no butterflies. Then there was a flash of pink - a Painted Lady was jigging across the hillside, stopping periodically on bare patches to warm up.
PL2 050616.JPG
PL1 050616.JPG
We carried on right to the hedge at the end of the main slope, and descended to hill on the other side. Elliot was ahead of me and his keen eyes spotted something down on the grass. This turned out to be a worn Green Hairstreak, something he'd not seen before.
GH1 050616.JPG
We returned along the bottom of the slope, seeing very little: one Common Blue, two Brimstones, two Small Heaths and two Brown Argus.
BA2 050616.JPG
This is a worryingly small total for a warm sunny day in early June - where are all the Common Blues?

Back home, I had a tour of my local patch. Again, there was not much about: two Speckled Woods, two male Orange Tips, two Large Whites, perhaps a dozen Small Heaths, and two Common Blues. The last of these were showing a particular interest in the grass vetchling flowers, which look like miniature sweet peas.
CB3 050616.JPG
CB4 050616.JPG
CB5 050616.JPG
CB6 050616.JPG
CB7 050616.JPG
One tiny Orange Tip caterpillar was found, on Garlic Mustard this time, and also a few of the bizarre larvae of the Vapourer moth.
OT cat 050616.JPG
vapourer cat 050616.JPG
Last of all, a Red Admiral was seen swooping and soaring in the shady part of a glade. Despite its sorry state, its aerodynamic ability was unimpeded.
RA1 050616.JPG
Dave

millerd

Post by millerd »

After admiring Pauline's SSBs, I managed to pop out to Fairmile Common late this afternoon to see if any had emerged here. Well, I did see just one, but it didn't stop long enough to be photographed. There were not many other butterflies - a couple of whites and a single Green Hairstreak were all that appeared.
GH1 060616.JPG
GH2 060616.JPG
Whatever else may be happening, these little chaps have been turning up almost everywhere I've been this year. I shall give it another week for the SSBs and try again.

I did come across an unusual plant: a broomrape. These are lacking any chlorophyll and are parasitic on various other plants - I think this one is orobanche minor, which is a parasite on clover. Weird-looking thing.
broomrape 060616.JPG
Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Greenstreaks do seem to be doing well this year - that's one of my 'wanted' shots - Greenstreak on Gorse :D :mrgreen: Cheers for pointing out the Broomrape I've seen those before and ondered what the hell they were :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

The little green one does seem to be doing okay, Wurzel - my nearest colony in the Country Park has certainly spread and crossed a main railway line to do so. :D

An expedition out locally this afternoon was quickly truncated as thunder rumbled close by - wandering over open fields and hillsides and thunderstorms do not mix. I managed to see a couple of Holly Blues, a Speckled Wood and another Orange Tip caterpillar before coming home.
OT cat 070616.JPG
By five, the sun was coming through again and it was still very warm and humid, even though right here it had not rained at all. I had another foray out to see if anything as stirring. In the relative gloom under the trees by a branch of the River Colne, a Red Admiral was patrolling the path, regularly perching on various plants. I stood still, stuck out an arm, and after a few investigatory swoops down it came. It remained a few minutes, happy to pose for the camera.
RA1 070616.JPG
RA2 070616.JPG
I moved on to the open area near the M25, and found good numbers of Small Heath rising up from the grass, chasing each other and the numerous Burnet Companion moths. Most were a bit worn, but some are still emerging. They can be found here continuously until October now.
SH1 070616.JPG
As I had hoped, a few days of sunshine had brought out more Common Blues. In a relatively small area, there were five of six, including a female that had suffered a bit during emergence. She could still fly, however.
CB1 070616.JPG
CB2 070616.JPG
CB3 070616.JPG
Best of all, persistently picking on the Common Blues, was a lovely new male Brown Argus. This was the first one I've seen here this year, distinctly late.
BA1 070616.JPG
BA2 070616.JPG
Returning along the other side of the river, I noticed the brambles are now well into flower. My eye was then drawn to something large nectaring on the bramble - a splendid Painted Lady. I would say that there is a definite influx at the moment with the continental air - they seem to be cropping up everywhere.
PL3 070616.JPG
PL1 070616.JPG
PL2a 070616.JPG
Finally, as I reached the glade where I had seen a very tatty Red Admiral the other day, the familiar whoosh of wings past my head announced the presence of another, much fresher, individual. It settled on a bare patch, and I noticed it seemed a bit unusual.
RA3 070616.JPG
The red bands had a noticeable yellow-orange patch in the middle (and another similarly-coloured bit at the top edge of the forewing). In fact, the overall red colour was distinctly more orange than the customary bright scarlet/vermilion. The butterfly resumed its energetic swooping up and down the glade, and once again I stuck out an arm to see if it would "come to hand". Amazingly, almost instantly, it did. It was definitely interested in my sweat (plenty of that today!), and became hard to dislodge.
RA5 070616.JPG
I was able to fiddle with the camera without it moving at all.
RA4 070616.JPG
Dave

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Looks like we had similar afternoons on our respective local patches :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Yesterday was a miss on the butterfly front, because of cloud and warm tropical rain at the opportune moment. Today was a rather different day, and I had the chance to have a brief ramble in the Country Park at Bedfont Lakes. There was very little to be seen: two male Brimstones, a Speckled Wood, a handful of Common Blues, two sparring Large Skippers, a few whites. However, I did find a solitary Brown Argus (the first here this year) and my 30th species of the year - a Meadow Brown.
BA1 090616.JPG
MB1 090616.JPG
Oh, and how could I forget: three different Holly Blues.
HB2 090616.JPG
HB3 090616.JPG
HB1 090616.JPG
Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

As you've seen a Meadow Brown Dave I'll start looking in about a fortnight as that's roughly how far we are behind over this way :wink: I haven't seen that many Brown Argus yet myself and I'm getting a bit worried as they seem to be having a dreadful year :(

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Wurzel wrote:I haven't seen that many Brown Argus yet myself and I'm getting a bit worried as they seem to be having a dreadful year
Agreed. They have been practically absent from my part of the UK thus far, Wurzel. Worrying.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Yes, Wurzel, Brown Argus and Common Blue are both not doing well in all their usual haunts round here. I suppose their life-cycles are broadly in tandem, so what affects one tends to affect both.

After work, there was time to go down to Fairmile Common again with the hope of Silver-studded Blues. After a bit of searching, I discovered five or six tucked away in the "V" between the A3 and the A307 where the latter road crosses the former. One of them appeared to have been caught in one of the deluges of the last few days...
SSB9 090616.JPG
...but the others were looking pretty new. There is a surprising amount of variability in the amount of black on the wings, with some having quite marked black spots on the hindwing and black scaling along the veins. The lighting also makes a huge difference to the blue colouration, and the most intense shades appear when the butterflies are not in bright sunshine.
SSB1 090616.JPG
SSB3 090616.JPG
SSB5 090616.JPG
SSB6 090616.JPG
SSB8 090616.JPG
SSB10 090616.JPG
SSB12 090616.JPG
SSB13 090616.JPG
SSB14 090616.JPG
SSB15 090616.JPG
SSB16 090616.JPG
SSB2 090616.JPG
Returning to the car park, I spotted one more. It was perhaps not flying so vigorously, and a close look revealed a bit of damage, probably sustained whilst developing in the chrysalis. I say this because the underside of the damaged wing was clearly aberrant.
SSB17 090616.JPG
SSB18 090616.JPG
SSB19 090616.JPG
Another week, and there should be many more out here, including some females - which were absent today.

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”