May 2016

Discussion forum for sightings.
MrSp0ck

Re: May 2016

Post by MrSp0ck »

20 Glanvilles at Hutchinsons Bank today, in the sunshine earlier. We had a pairing there as well on the Bottom Bridleway. They even paired on the foodplant.
DSC01624s.JPG
DSC01629s.JPG
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Today I visited Heyshott Escarpment for the first time ever and my hat goes off to all the people who have worked so hard to make it what it is now :D

I arrived at 10am and during the course of 3 and a half hours saw approximately 20 Duke of Burgundy on the eastern part of the site. Among these were a couple of slight oddities. One was noticeably paler than all the others and another had a pale left hind wing.
Pale Duke of Burgundy male 23-May-2016
Pale Duke of Burgundy male 23-May-2016
Pale hind-winged male 23-May-2016
Pale hind-winged male 23-May-2016
Standard male Duke of Burgundy 23-May-2016
Standard male Duke of Burgundy 23-May-2016
Egglaying was observed by several females.
Duke of Burgundy eggs 23-May-2016
Duke of Burgundy eggs 23-May-2016
Other species seen were Dingy Skipper, Grizzled Skipper, Green Hairstreak, Common Blue, Small Heath, Speckled Wood, Brimstone and Peacock. The best was a Dingy Skipper pairing.
Dingy Skipper pair 23-May-2016
Other species seen on the track approaching the site were Small White, Green-veined White, Large White, Orange-tip and Red Admiral.

The temperature reached a maximum of 18C with a northerly wind and broken cloud.

Vince
Greenie

Post by Greenie »

On my way to enjoy the Glanville Fritillaries at Hutchinsons Bank , I stopped a short distance away and found two White-letter Hairstreak larvae on a known Elm .
Attachments
_MG_0891.JPG
_MG_0871.JPG
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Orange Tips Nairnshire.

A few seen today not all that far from previous localities. Yet again incredibly tiny perhaps as small as 30 mms wingspan.

I am struggling to find the real headquarters and food plant. Nowhere that I have encountered Orange Tips has there been any suitable larval foodplant.
A few patches of Hedge Garlic (Jack-by-the-Hedge) has not revealed any eggs, usually quite easy to find. Perhaps a large lay-by patch of Honesty is worth checking out although haven't seen the butterflies there.

Jack
Adrian Dowling

Post by Adrian Dowling »

My wife & I had a great morning at Hutchinson's Bank today, our first visit to the site and our first Glanvilles too. Many photos to sort through but back to work early tomorrow so they will have to wait a while.

I just wanted to say thank you to Martin for his help & advice, and also what a pleasure it was to meet so many like-minded people there.

In addition to the many Glanville Frits, we also saw Speckled Wood, Red Admiral, Brimstone, Dingy Skipper and Grizzled Skipper.

Adrian
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Adrian
Some absolutely stunning photos there. Unfortunately, I cannot identify some of you birds but do know that they are "twichers' rarities".

Jack
Adrian Dowling

Post by Adrian Dowling »

Glad you liked the photos on my website Jack, and thank you for your kind words. There are a few rare bird photos on there which could be a bit tricky for non-birders to identify but, as you no doubt saw, they are all captioned in the relevant folders for anyone who requires some assistance.
I started out (many years ago) with birds as my main photographic interest, but over the last few years have found myself diversifying more & more, and loving every minute of it. Now I find I can't wait each year for the Butterfly & Dragonfly season to start, and of course seeing all of the great shots that are posted on this forum is superb inspiration. I even invested in my first macro lens at the end of last year!

Hopefully when I am off work again on Sunday I will find the time to go through the shots I took at Hutchinson's Bank the other day and add them to my site.

Best regards,
Adrian
millerd

Post by millerd »

Large Skipper seen today at Bedfont Lakes Country Park (Middlesex). My first of 2016.

Not a very good photo, I'm afraid...
LS1 260516.JPG
Dave
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

We had 2 more ab Glanvilles today, both in the cutting, a few others on here got better underside shots of the first one. Undersides were hard to get today. The upperside of the first is below, note the missing fringe on the left hindwing, the later ab was intact but i didnt manage to get a picture.
DSC01691s.JPG
DSC01703ss.JPG
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

27th May Nairnshire

Found a nice little colony of Speckled Woods today about half way between where I live (Lethen) and Auldearn. Circa eight males so no doubt early in the season here.

Unlike local Orange Tips which are distinctively small, these Speckled Woods seem quite normal.

Jack
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Had an hour spare after work this afternoon,so thought I,d head up on the downs near Wye,and have a look at an old Duke site,i look most years but alas the Dukes gave up the ghost here about 7-8 years ago,but I still give it a go ..........just in case !! Anyway found a few butterflies. 3 Orange tips 3 Brimstone all 3 of the common Whites,2 Small Heath
a few fresh Brown argus,a mating pair of Common Blue,and an odd male,but the star of the show today was the Adonis Blue,i reckon there were around 50+ around some really fresh individuals,also found a pair ,and 4 males,on a Badger scat,one surprise was not a single Dingy,this is always a good sight for them,but not a one today,there are plenty out on other sections of Wye NNR.......curious. but those Adonis they really are stunning beasties !! Regards Allan.W.
P1020792.JPG
P1020777.JPG
P1020808.JPG
P1020782.JPG
P1020724.JPG
millerd

Post by millerd »

MrSp0ck wrote:We had 2 more ab Glanvilles today, both in the cutting, a few others on here got better underside shots of the first one. Undersides were hard to get today. The upperside of the first is below, note the missing fringe on the left hindwing, the later ab was intact but i didnt manage to get a picture.
A great day at HB today.
GF ab1 270516.JPG
GF ab4 270516.JPG
Some more photos of this ab. are in my personal diary.

Dave
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Thirty or so Glanville fritillaries at Wheelers Bay Ventnor today. Also one dingy skipper, fifteen common blues and one brown argus. Also several wall lizards (podarcis muralis) which I believe are unique to Ventnor .
Attachments
Wall lizard (2).jpg
Glanville fritillary (5).jpg
Glanville fritillary (4).jpg
Glanville fritillary (2).jpg
Last edited by Ian Pratt on Sat May 28, 2016 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

Ian Pratt wrote:Thirty or so Glanville fritillaries at Wheelers Bay Ventnor today. Also one dingy skipper, fifteen common blues and one brown argus.
Thats great news, we are not at peak yet at HB, but have had 70 on the transect already this year [24,24,22[today]]
Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Good numbers of Glanvilles showing at various points along Compton Bay,Isle Of Wight over the past week.More in my PD.
Compton Bay Glanville Fritillary
Compton Bay Glanville Fritillary
Dave
Regards
Dave Browne
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

29th May

I'm still trying to find where my local (Nairn/Moray) Orange Tips breed. This plant seems a possibility (but no eggs found so far).
This small crucifer is quite numerous where it occurs - sunny spots in woodland (the habitat loved by Speckled Woods).
It is a little like a miniature Hedge Garlic - a half-size version.

Jack
Greenie

Post by Greenie »

A visit to Hutchinsons Bank this afternoon ended with a sighting of the second ab., having photographed the first last week .
On the way home , found just two WLH larvae on the Elm , but one was a brown specimen . I believe this indicates that it is about to pupate .
Attachments
_MG_1582.JPG
_MG_1596.JPG
_MG_1595.JPG
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Couple of late afternoon hours spent at Aberbargoed Grasslands NNR, Gwent (Monmouthshire) yesterday, produced my first Marsh Fritillary of the year, only 15 or so seen, it could still be a late emergence, this time last year my count exceeded 100+, we shall wait and see :wink: A brief view of a passing Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary along with several Dingy Skipper, Small Heath and half a dozen Common Blue completed my sightings.
My first Marshy of the year!
My first Marshy of the year!
Marsh Fritillary on Heath Spotted Orchid
Marsh Fritillary on Heath Spotted Orchid
A nice added bonus to my visit was a resting Common Blue sat quietly in the sunshine on Columbine, it allowed a chance for a few tidy images :)
Common Blue at rest...
Common Blue at rest...
On the day-flying moth front, I was pleased to see a nice fresh Chimney Sweeper, it accomodated by posing on it's larval foodplant - Pignut.
Chimney Sweeper on Pignut
Chimney Sweeper on Pignut
A pleasing few hours spent in some charming company...

Bill :D
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
sahikmet

Post by sahikmet »

Friday 27th May visit to Aston Clinton Ragpits produced very few butterflies just two green vein whites. However there were several slow worms. College lake up to 24 small blues. Also a few brimstone and orange tips. Cheers
Attachments
College Lake Small Blue
College Lake Small Blue
College Lake Small Blue
College Lake Small Blue
College Lake Small Blue
College Lake Small Blue
Aston Clinton Ragpits Slow Worm
Aston Clinton Ragpits Slow Worm
Aston Clinton Ragpits Green Veined White
Aston Clinton Ragpits Green Veined White
DaveO'B

Post by DaveO'B »

I spent yesterday at a couple of the N.Yorkshire Duke of Burgundy sites, counting 10 at one site and 2 at the second site. The Duke's presence at the second site is sporadic, and possibly entirely dependent on individuals flying the couple of hundred metres from the first site. My sightings included an ovipositing female, a male feeding on honeydew on young hawthorn leaves, and a very pale coloured female. I also saw about 6 Cistus Forester, one of which was a beautiful bronze colour which almost exactly matched the young oak leaf it had settled on.

Return to “Sightings”