Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Trevor

Post by trevor »

P1230418.JPG
After Tuesdays brief(ish) visit to Hutchinson's Bank I went back today with Doug.Neve, who was keen
to see the Glanvilles for himself.
The map Martin kindly posted in my diary guided us to the correct area ,where the Glanvilles are
most prolific. When we arrived it was cloudy but a male and female had been located by Martin
who was only too keen to show us where they were.
Several people left early, convinced that the sun would not re-appear, but it did and Glanvilles
seemed to appear from nowhere and many were seen both in ' the cutting ' and later, on the bare
earth track that runs parallel to the road.

Many thanks, Martin, for your hospitality and for making our visit so enjoyable.
Attachments
P1230412.JPG
P1230413.JPG
P1230417.JPG
P1230420.JPG
P1230419.JPG
P1230423.JPG

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

P1230416.JPG
Another notable sighting today, at Hutchinson's Bank, occurred when I walked the
bare earth track that runs parallel to Featherbed Lane.
I noticed two female Holly Blues flying low amongst some vegetation. when they
settled with wings open I could hardly believe my eyes.
It also became obvious what they were up to. One of them was oviposting on
Dogwood flower buds.
Hopefully the images obtained are of some interest.
Attachments
P1230415.JPG
P1230414.JPG
P1230421.JPG
P1230422.JPG

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

Im glad you both enjoyed your visit today, a very busy day for us all, I finished at 6pm.

The Glanvilles were still active until 6pm, but in fewer numbers.

Hopefully the weekend weather will be better than forcast, like this afternoon was.

Wurzel will need to worship more Glanville Gods for his visit for some nice sun.

Im working this weekend so visitors wont have the benefit of any help.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Trevor,

Some great Glanville images there and followed up with that first open wing female Holly Blue :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D

Cheers,

Neil

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic Glannies Trevor :D I've had a look at the map but can't make head nor tail of it so hopefully (if the weather plays ball) there will be a 'regular' about on Sunday to pint a lost Wurzel to the nearest Glannie! :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Another image from yesterday which I overlooked.
This Comma, which looked to be very fresh, might be an early example
of hibernators offspring. Certainly a lovely Butterfly.
Attachments
P1230424.JPG

peterc

Post by peterc »

trevor wrote:Another image from yesterday which I overlooked.
This Comma, which looked to be very fresh, might be an early example
of hibernators offspring. Certainly a lovely Butterfly.
Nice one, Trevor. To me, it doesn't appear pale enough to be the hutchinsoni form. What do others think?

ATB

Peter

trevor

Post by trevor »

The weather forecast for today, in this area, was not good.
So any long distance expeditions were out of the question, but a bright spell of
milky sunshine made a short trip to the Downs worth risking.
The only species found in any quantity were Small Heaths, and numbers were probably
in the hundreds. In these numbers they are very good at distracting the eye whilst watching
something more exotic, which then escapes !.

The finds today consisted of male Common Blues, Small Coppers, an old Grizzled Skipper and
many fresh Small Heaths as already mentioned.
Attachments
P1230464.JPG
P1230466.JPG
P1230467.JPG
P1230468.JPG
P1230465.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

trevor wrote:The only species found in any quantity were Small Heaths, and numbers were probably
in the hundreds.
That's a result in itself these days, Trevor. I'm getting progressively worried about this species, as it is rapidly going from distractingly commonplace to relatively thin on the ground.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots of the Glanville's and the Holly Blue Trevor, It's good to see so many Butterflies posted as we're still waiting up here for most of them. Goldie :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

No sun, no Butterflies this afternoon.
I did however find a Yellow Speckle Moth, which unusually perched for long enough
to allow it's portrait to be taken. It didn't allow me a second shot however.
Attachments
P1230473.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A shot of Speckled Yellow is not to be sniffed at Trevor they are one of the flightiest moths around! :roll: :x Lovely marked Small Heath, the 'eyes' rally show up :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

P1230753.JPG
One species I was planning to see again this year, was the Marsh Fritillary.
So I set forth at 5am for Wurzel country, arriving about 07.30. Far too early for
the Butterflies but infinitely preferable to a later start and traffic jams.

The first Marshie was spotted by another visitor, who had travelled from Essex,
at about 9.00. As the sun increased in strength more Butterflies became active,
Marsh Fritillaries in particular were frequently seen. Including one specimen that might qualify as an AB.

I will post todays activities in three parts, the other species seen, and Chiddingfold forest on the way home.

It was also a pleasure to bump into UKB's Susie, who was arriving as I was leaving ( hope you had a wonderful visit ).
Attachments
Possible AB , an interesting specimen.
Possible AB , an interesting specimen.
P1230752.JPG
P1230750.JPG
P1230749.JPG
P1230755.JPG
P1230754.JPG
P1230757.JPG
P1230758.JPG

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

No possibly, thats definately an ab. No idea what type but definately ab! :mrgreen:

Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Yes, Trevor - very unusually marked. Nice one! :)

Dave

trevor

Post by trevor »

In between photographing the Marsh Fritillaries there were many other species
on the wing. Most prolific were Dingy and Grizzled Skippers, followed by Green Hairstreaks.
Quite a few, very fresh, Brown Argus were present including a mating pair.
All the Small Blues seen were manic and refused to settle for the camera. But some Six Spot Burnet
moths were just emerging, and did settle for a few shots.
Attachments
P1230766.JPG
P1230761.JPG
P1230764.JPG
P1230763.JPG
P1230760.JPG
P1230762.JPG
P1230765.JPG
P1230759.JPG

Susie

Post by Susie »

It was nice to see you too. Oh I wish I'd got there earlier, I envy your ab! Great shots! :mrgreen:

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Good work Trevor - Wiltshire and Chiddingfold in the same day! :mrgreen:

trevor

Post by trevor »

On the return journey this afternoon I was mulling over what to do
with the rest of the afternoon. There were two possibilities, Kithurst Meadow,
or Chiddingfold Forest. As I left the Portsmouth area I had to make the decision
A27 or A3. A3 it was, then the pretty route to Plaistow.
My primary aim was to see some more Wood Whites, and a total of four were found.
Also the Brimstones attracted attention, with one female being pursued by three males.
All four were involved in a long drawn out chase. When they landed I managed a shot
of two of them, it is not a good image unfortunately.

Today was a bit of a marathon of 280 miles, but very rewarding.
Attachments
P1230770.JPG
P1230769.JPG
P1230767.JPG
P1230768.JPG
P1230771.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

With very little sun today, I made the most of a brighter spell this afternoon.
A further visit to Abbots wood found the Pearl Bordered Fritillaries fading away for another year.
Only one was in anything like good condition, and most were losing their colour.
In all about a dozen were seen in less than ideal conditions.
This season I have seen three species of Fritillary in the space of five days. At least the Pearls are local.
Attachments
P1230842.JPG
P1230845.JPG
P1230843.JPG
P1230846.JPG
P1230847.JPG
P1230844.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”