Trip to Bentley Wood

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Philzoid

Trip to Bentley Wood

Post by Philzoid »

The late emergence of the Pearl-bordered fritillaries this year had delayed my annual pilgrimage to Bentley. I initially made plans to go on Sunday but ended up in two minds whether to go Saturday and save Sunday for a possible trip to see Sunderland’s last (celebratory) game at Watford :? . However, as the weekend approached Dave’s (Millerd) report and pictures of an aberrant Pearl made up my mind for me :shock: . A switch from Sunday to Saturday was now imperative even though it meant I’d have less butterflying time as I was needed back at home in the late afternoon. Also I’d be meeting up with Wurzel who was tied to Saturday for similar (domestic) reasons.

Traffic and M3 roadworks :x increased my journey time getting there so by the time I’d arrived the eastern clearing car-park was pretty full and I could see others already out in the field. As I worked my way to the hotspot across a new swathe of cut trees and deep digger wheel ruts, I got a shout from Wurzel that he had the aberrant in view. I’d only just arrived and now I was straight in :D . The little 'burnt-toffee' gem had an entourage of butterfliers as he flittered around in typical Pearl-bordered fritillary fashion close to the ground occasionally alighting or briefly clashing with his standard orange-coloured comrades. The colour difference was so acute he was relatively easy to track. However, the sunny warmer than anticipated weather, kept him mostly on the move and the times he did land, at ground level meant he was obscured by plants and cast shadows etc. Didn’t manage to get any decent underside shots :| .
A IMG_3950 Pearly-bordered Fritillary ab. EC, Bentley Wood.jpg
B IMG_3971 Pearly-bordered Fritillary ab. EC, Bentley Wood t.jpg
C IMG_6665 Pearl-bordered Fritillary ab. EC, Bentley Wood t02.jpg
Lozenge shaped 'pearls' with central merged with 4th.
Lozenge shaped 'pearls' with central merged with 4th.
E IMG_6674 Pearl-bordered Fritillary ab. EC, Bentley Wood t02.jpg
F IMG_6678 Pearl-bordered Fritillary, EC, Bentley Wood.jpg
Wurzel had to return home even earlier than me so we moved on to Tidworth where I was expecting to increase my seasons species count from 14 (includes PBF) and hopefully get a Duke or two. The first butterfly sighted was a Green Hairstreak taking my season’s tally to 15 and this was soon increased to 16 and then 17 as first Small Copper and then Small Heath hove into view :D .
G IMG_6698 Green Hairstreak, Tidworth.jpg
H IMG_6706 Small Copper, Tidworth t.jpg
I IMG_4054 Small Heath, Tidworth.jpg
We then moved into the area where Wurzel had seen a Duke a week earlier. There were plenty of Grizzled and Dingy Skippers + a few more Green Hairstreak but the searching drew a blank on the Dukes (a few times our brief hopes were dashed by ‘false Dukes’ (Burnet Companion Moths)).
J IMG_3996 Grizzled Skipper, Tidworth.jpg
Dingy enjoying the high life
Dingy enjoying the high life
and the low-life
and the low-life
Moving further on up through a cut through a line of trees, we searched another area with more exposed chalk patches but again no Dukes :( .
Tidworth Grasstreak
Tidworth Grasstreak
Wurzel then had to go but soon after he’d left he shouted “Duke” and I came crashing through the copse (couldn’t find the cut :oops: ) and lucky for me I got there in time to see and photograph it :) . After that I searched the area and other areas but no more dukes. I did add orange-tip male and female; Green-veined white and Brimstone to the day’s tally.
O IMG_4039 Duke of Burgundy Fritillary, Tidworth.jpg
P IMG_6755 Orange-tip (female), Tidworth t.jpg
Overall and excellent day's butterflying :D . Gave the match a miss in the end (plenty of domestic jobs to do plus no ticket.

Phil
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Trip to Bentley Wood

Post by Wurzel »

Great report Philzoid it was a cracking half a day :wink: :D Glad to have found that Duke in the end! One bit I didn't agree with though was about not getting a 'good underside' they look great to me! :D
Can't wait for next Sunday and Glannies, please weather be good, please... :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

I'm pleased you both got to see the "little 'burnt-toffee' gem" yesterday - it looks as if you crammed a lot more in as well! :)

Great report, Phil.

Dave
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Wurzel wrote:Great report Philzoid it was a cracking half a day Glad to have found that Duke in the end! One bit I didn't agree with though was about not getting a 'good underside' they look great to me! Can't wait for next Sunday and Glannies, please weather be good, please...
I was lucky you spotted that duke as it turned out to be the only one :)
The underside wing patterning has been picked up but would've liked to have got the full butterfly.
Looking forward to seeing Glannies again for the first time on ages. I do remember finding them in Wrecclesham on a cold day so we still could be in luck even if the weather is not ideal.
millerd wrote:I'm pleased you both got to see the "little 'burnt-toffee' gem" yesterday - it looks as if you crammed a lot more in as well!
That burnt toffee gem hogged most of the limelight as you'd expect :) Interestingly I think he spent slightly less time flying and took more frequent brief stops than the other Pearls. All other things being equal, being a darker butterfly you might expect him to be better able to absorb the suns heat and as a consequence spend more time on the wing :?:
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

What is your Green Hairstreak egg-laying on Phil? Is it violet?
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Not sure if either is ovipositing tbh .... at least I can't see it in the photos :? . However being low down in the grass there is a good chance that they are searching for egg-laying sites. For the second picture it could be common rock rose (Hypericum sp.). For the first I'm not sure. There were violets to be found on this site though :)

Phil

Return to “General”