Dan Ransley

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Dan Ransley

Dan Ransley

Post by Dan Ransley »

Welcome to my diary!

I was fortunate to spend my childhood in a tiny village in the countryside, surrounded by butterflies during the summer, but last year (by now in my mid-thirties) was my first season taking a serious interest in learning about them, rather than just enjoying watching them! I've since become a regular reader, if only very occasional poster, here on the forum & not only have I very much enjoyed hearing of people's butterflying exploits & seeing their pictures, but I've also learnt a great deal from the vast wealth of knowledge the members share. Thank you! Obviously, I'm still very much a 'beginner', but I'm enjoying making many new (to me!) discoveries.

This year, I thought I'd start a thread to keep track of my own adventures following these little winged wonders. Today is the first day I've managed to get out specifically looking for butterflies but, in the interest of thoroughness, here's a quick note of species seen in 2016 prior to today: Brimstone, Orange Tip, Holly Blue, Red Admiral. A rather slow start, perhaps, but it took me a while to get going last year as well, and I managed to finish the year with twenty two species spotted.

15/05/16
Somewhat delayed in heading out, I eventually made it to one of my favourite spots for late morning - Warburg nature reserve. There weren't many butterflies about, and those I did find were reluctant to settle for long enough for me to photograph, but I did manage to see: Dingy Skipper, Comma, Large White, Brimstone, Orange Tip, Small Heath, Common Blue and a lone Green Hairstreak - this last a first for me!
Dingy Skipper
Dingy Skipper
Common Blue
Common Blue
Small Heath
Small Heath
I then had a couple of hours free later in the day, so squeezed in a quick visit to Lardon Chase where I found the flowers looking beautiful in the afternoon sunshine. Unfortunately, there were even fewer butterflies in evidence - perhaps due to the time of day, or maybe because the breeze had picked up quite a bit by then. A couple of Orange Tips, a Holly Blue & a Brimstone were all I saw until, just as I was reaching the gate to leave a Common Blue fluttered past! I turned back and followed it for a while until eventually it settled & I was able to get a few snaps!
Lardon Chase
Lardon Chase
Common Blue
Common Blue
Looking forward to as many days as I can manage in search of butterflies this summer!

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Dan Ransley

Post by Wurzel »

Looking forward to reading more Dan.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Yes, looking forward to seeing where your diary takes you, Dan. :)

Dave

Dan Ransley

Post by Dan Ransley »

Thank you both for the welcome. I feel like I'm embarking on an exciting adventure!

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Dan I'd say you'd made a good start already, :D Looking forward to seeing much more Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

...and a warm welcome from me too, Dan. Always good to see a new diary spring up. It's just a case of finding time to read them all! :(

kevling

Post by kevling »

Welcome Dan. I'm looking forward to perusing another diary. Not a bad start to the butterflying year. You'll be amazed how quickly you will add to you list just be getting out there.

Regards Kev

Dan Ransley

Post by Dan Ransley »

Thanks all! I'll try to find some time to read some other diaries too. :)

David M

Post by David M »

Dan Ransley wrote:Thanks all! I'll try to find some time to read some other diaries too. :)
Good luck with that, Dan! You'll need a 48 hour day! :)

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

David M wrote:
Dan Ransley wrote:Thanks all! I'll try to find some time to read some other diaries too. :)
What he said :lol: ! Welcome though, it's a very addictive hobby :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

bugboy wrote:
David M wrote:
What he said :lol: ! Welcome though, it's a very addictive hobby :)
Ditto...I am struggling to keep up as well. Great problem to have though :D

And welcome from me too, looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers,

Neil.

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

And a welcome from me too! I'm sure we all look forward to hearing more from you, Dan.

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Dan Ransley

Post by Dan Ransley »

Thanks all, for the warm welcome! I managed to grab a few hours to myself this morning - so headed back to Warburg, since it's just down the road from me. Mostly the same species seen as on my last visit, though in greater numbers: plenty of Common Blues (though no females seen this time), lots of Dingy Skippers & Orange Tips, a few Small Heaths & Brimstones, and also a few Speckled Woods this time.
Small Heath
Small Heath
Common Blue
Common Blue
Common Blue
Common Blue
Common Blue
Common Blue
Dingy Skipper
Dingy Skipper
Honey Bee
Honey Bee

Dan Ransley

Post by Dan Ransley »

I only had one day free in June, and I took the opportunity on the 5th to go on a road trip to Strumpshaw Fen in search of a Swallowtail (which I've never seen). I'm still yet to see a Swallowtail, but it was a beautifully sunny day and there were some other butterflies on the wing:
Red Admiral
Red Admiral
Brimstone
Brimstone
Painted Lady
Painted Lady
Painted Lady
Painted Lady

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Dan, last year I saw them at Hickling Broad NR it was at the beginning of June though but along the foot path there were lots of thistles growing and we'd just to wait for them to arrive . :D You could try there next time. Of course it all depends on the weather :D Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”