May 2016

Discussion forum for sightings.
maverick

Re: May 2016

Post by maverick »

small copper.JPG
small copper underside.JPG
A visit to the nature reserve in Moore Warrington gave me a first in the shape of a small copper
a surprisingly lively little butterfly that had meand my son running aroud for ages trying to get a shot of it
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

White Sheet Hill, Wiltshire. Loads of Dingy and Grizzled Skippers, several Green Hairstreaks, also Red Admiral, Painted Lady, Large and Green-veined Whites, Brimstone. No blues, Small Coppers, Small Heaths or Wall - presumably still too early here for these species.
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Busy week, my apologies for belated post from last Thursday, a visit to Breakheart Quarry, Near Dursley, Gloucestershire where both Dingy & Grizzled Skipper were out in very reasonable numbers, probably 50+ of the former and 30+ for the latter. Green Hairstreak was also enjoying the Bugle along with the skippers.
One of the many Dingies seen at Breakheart
One of the many Dingies seen at Breakheart
A few 'in-cop' Grizzlies were photographed...with their permission of course...its delicate :oops:
p1000665_paired_grizzled_skipper.jpg
Most of the Grizzlies were in good fresh condition and this makes them very photogenic :)
Nicely conditioned Grizzly - not too many scraps yet!
Nicely conditioned Grizzly - not too many scraps yet!
Its always one of the great pleasures of spring to see your first Green Hairstreak and the bugle was to good to miss...
What a colour combination!!!
What a colour combination!!!
There's so much to enjoy at this wonderful time of year, don't you just love the month of May folks :P

Bill :D
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Having spent the morning at Breakheart Quarry, the afternoon was spent at Rodborough Common, Near Stroud where 8 or 9 Duke of Burgundy put in a much appreciated appearance. First's for the season included a couple of Brown Argus & Small Heath the BA were mint fresh. Others of note included several Green Hairstreak & Small Blue.

Day-flying moths included:- Mother Shipton, Burnet Companion and newly emerged Forester.
p1000707_duke_of_burgundy.jpg
p1000704_green_hairstreak.jpg
p1000750_brown_argus.jpg
p1000756_duke_of_burgundy.jpg
Another great day spent in the Stroud Valleys, the Cotswolds are simply brilliant for butterfly adventures :wink:

Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

A few more on Saturday from the West Wight as we call it. :D
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

I spent over 5 hours last Saturday doing a thorough count of Pearl-bordered Fritillary at Ewyas Harold Common, Herefordshire I'm delighted to report that the work done on the bracken to create tractor wide 'corridors' along the common's 'plateau' has paid dividends, at least 90 to 100 individuals were counted during a disciplined transect type 'survey', if this kind of habitat management is continued, this seriously threatened butterfly could hopefully have a much more secure future :D

These are the best numbers I've seen at Ewyas Harold, it's most encouraging. If I'm not mistaken the West Midlands Branch of Butterfly Conservation deserve acknowledgement for this habitat management.
_1000854_pearl_bordered_fritillary.jpg
_1000814_pearl_bordered_fritillary.jpg
_1000838_pearl_bordered_fritillary.jpg
_1000862_pearl_bordered_fritillary.jpg
As a bonus for my count efforts I saw my first Broad-bodied Chaser of the year on my way back to the car :P
_1010016_immature_male_broad_bodied _chaser.jpg
Happy days :wink:

David M

Post by David M »

Willrow wrote:...if this kind of habitat management is continued, this seriously threatened butterfly could hopefully have a much more secure future
Agreed, Bill. You and I could be forgiven for taking this site for granted. It's 'off the beaten track' with few visitors, and the PBFs are by some distance the most common species at this time of year. However, one should never be complacent. Events at other locations have demonstrated how tenuous certain butterfly populations can be.

I hope that sufficient work continues long term to allow this species to thrive here. For sure, what they've done this year seems to have benefited them, but each year presents a fresh challenge, and I hope the conservation body recognises this and carries on doing what they can to allow this beautiful butterfly to survive.

One only needs to look at recent history - Wood Whites and Green Hairstreaks lost here within the last 25 years. I sincerely hope PBFs don't go down the same route.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Radiata found today at Dungeness by the reserve warden David Walker
Small Copper ab radiata Dungeness 170516w 7970.jpg
Wow!!

Best wishes

Hoggers
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

It's been several years since I last visited Hutchinson's Bank in Surrey, so the start of the Glanville Fritillary flight season was a good excuse to go again.

I arrived at 10.30 and soon bumped into Martin (MrSp0ck) in the cutting, who showed me a late larva in the grass.
Glanville Fritillary larva 17-May-2016
Glanville Fritillary larva 17-May-2016
Upon checking for the pupa (discovered attached to a stone earlier in the week), it was nowhere to be found. Presumably the adult had emerged overnight. By 10.45 several butterflies were warming up on the ground and were soon active.
4 Glanvilles warming up
4 Glanvilles warming up
Approximately 12-15 individuals were seen in the cutting during the morning, the majority being very fresh.
Glanville Fritillary male 17-May-2016
It seems that UKB member Trevor was also there today and saw 5 more on the lower track.
I later bumped into Paul (Bugboy) in the cutting, but by then the cloud cover was quite persistent and I left the site at 2.30.

Vince
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Hutchinson's Bank in Surrey
I'm sure I have asked before but what is the history of Glanvilles at this site? If introduced, then when and if known, who was responsible? Was it "official"?

Please don't get me wrong. I am not particularly against introductions but cannot help being curious

Jack
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hoggers wrote:Radiata found today at Dungeness by the reserve warden David Walker
Small Copper ab radiata Dungeness 170516w 7970.jpg
Wow!!

Best wishes

Hoggers
Very very nice! Great find.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Last Sunday (15/5/16) I made the trip to Denge Wood (Bonsai Bank)...the target species being the Duke of Burgundy.
I spent a fair few hours at the site(I think i was the 1st one there, an the last to leave!) had a great time too.
I would think that at least 10 to 15+ Dukes were on the wing. Not much else seen, 1 Dingy and 1 Green Hairstreak.

Took 3 cameras along, shot a good number of images, with a view to compare the merits of each set up. Bridge Camera (Panny FZ150) against Nikon V1/J1(1 inch sensor) with Nikon macro 105mm VR lens/Nikon 30-110mm cx lens. Both the Raynox 150/Polaroid 500D close up lenses were also used.

Location - Denge Woods, Kent. cheers Paul.

Several images...But i still have 100's of shots to go through!

Image is cropped some.
15th-May-2016-to-700a.jpg
Image is not cropped.
15th-May-2016-to-600b.jpg
Image is not cropped.
15th-May-2016-to-600c.jpg
Image is not cropped.
15th-May-2016-to-600d.jpg
Image is not cropped.
15th-May-2016-to-600a.jpg
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

Vince Massimo wrote:It's been several years since I last visited Hutchinson's Bank in Surrey, so the start of the Glanville Fritillary flight season was a good excuse to go again.

Vince
I hope the management has improved the site since your last visit, a lot has gone on in the last few years.

Was great meeting you yesterday.
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

MrSp0ck wrote: I hope the management (of Hutchinson's Bank) has improved the site since your last visit, a lot has gone on in the last few years.

Was great meeting you yesterday.
The site looks absolutely fantastic Martin and many thanks for showing me around the newer features yesterday :D
I am also grateful to you for putting me in touch with Fred. It was great to put a face to a name as well.

Vince
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

Today at Hutchinsons Bank

Orange-Tip, Common Blue, Small Blue, Glanville Fritillary, Dingy & Grizzled Skippers and the other common species.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello all,
Recently decided to volunteer for my local woods transect walk,and made a start this afternoon, started out sunny enough,if a little breezy,but pretty disappointing in most sections with very little on the wing,good numbers of singing Nightingales,and a few Willow Warblers,pleased to find a mating pair of Bee-fly. things were pretty slow with only a handful of male Brimstone and a single Green vein,i decided to go slightly off transect route.Glad I did !as I got within about 40 metres of the entrance,a small Green insect flew up in front of me,and immediately settled again ,Bingo ! a Green hairstreak,nothing too odd about this I know,but I've been visiting this wood for around 35 years and never see a one! so I was well pleased,
In another section of the forest a couple of days ago I was lucky enough to find an AB; Intermedia Grizzle, + I couldn,t resist posting another shot of my favourite Small Copper so far this year pretty close to Radiata. regards Allan.W.
P1020494.JPG
P1020563.JPG
P1020395.JPG
P1020534.JPG
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Allan.W. wrote:+ I couldn,t resist posting another shot of my favourite Small Copper so far this year pretty close to Radiata
And still an aberration :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

22nd May Nairn

Just one moth in the trap overnight - but a good one. Poplar Hawk.
It warmed up by shivering and then flew to this convenient bush.

Jack
sahikmet

Re: May 2016 Orange Tip

Post by sahikmet »

Hi Orange Tips in the garden this afternoon. Last one to be seen was 5 to 6 years ago. Cheers Sezar
Attachments
DSC04790E256.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

13 species seen at two nearby locations in Swansea today:

Wall Brown, Common Blue, Orange Tip, Large, Small & Green Veined White, Holly Blue, Small Heath, Speckled Wood, Small Blue, Small Copper, Brimstone & Red Admiral.

Return to “Sightings”