Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks Dave, I turned round and there was that Brown Argus on a leaf, most unexpected.
I'm heading to a hill In Wiltshire as soon as I think I can trust the weather.
Last year drizzle and mist welcomed me, and at 125 miles each way, I want it perfect.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great find Trevor and nice shots, nothing like that here yet . Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Nice shots throughout, Trevor, especially the lovely Pearls, great shot of the mating pair on the Bluebell :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Goldie,your turn will come. Good to hear from you Mike,I was in your area today.

A detour on the way home this afternoon took me to Chiddingfold forest, to look for
Spring brood Wood Whites. On the way to my favourite area for the target species, I was amazed
at the large number of Brimstones on the wing. Among the Brimstones fluttering around the
abundant Bugle I spotted my first Wood White delicately going about it's business. It soon settled when
the Sun went in,allowing me to get very close.
An hour later I saw another one in the same area as the first, it is possible that the same Butterfly
was seen twice.
For added interest I have included an image of a Green Longhorn Moth, and a Buttercup full of
micro Moths, which someone pointed out to me. I have not a clue as to what they are.
Attachments
P1210910.JPG
P1210913.JPG
P1210914.JPG
P1210912.JPG
P1210911.JPG
P1210915.JPG
P1210909.JPG

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Lovely Wood Whites Trever :) .

Your longhorn moth is Adela reaumurella and the cluster in the buttercup are Micropterix calthelia. If you happen upon the Field Guide to the Micro Moths of Britain and Ireland there's an almost identical picture of M. calthelia on page 46 :D

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely Wood Whites Trevor :D :mrgreen: I wonder if it's feasible to swing in there after a trip to HB? :? Mind you it could mean to 'loss of Brownie points for extracting the urine' if Mrs Wurzel finds out :( :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

P1220022.JPG
This morning I made the long trek up to Windover Hill to look for Wall Browns.
No Butterflies were seen on the long climb from the road, but once at the top
a Green Hairstreak presented itself on a Buttercup, shortly followed by a Grizzled Skipper
which settled on my hand.
Several Walls later became active, stopping frequently to bask. All Walls seen were male,and
they demonstrated how risky Butterfly counting can be, for I saw them flying in lots of locations
in a given area,over a period of about three hours. When examining my images it became clear that
one Wall had been photographed many times in different places. A small nick in its right hand hindwing
gave the game away.
Also seen were several bright, fresh Small Coppers, my first of the year, another Green Hairstreak and
a fair few Dingy Skippers.

Looking across the valley from Windover the freshly restored White Horse at High and over was visible,
with the morning Newhaven- Dieppe ferry passing above it !.
Attachments
P1220024.JPG
P1220027.JPG
P1220033.JPG
P1220027.JPG
P1220028.JPG
P1220034.JPG
P1220032.JPG
P1220025.JPG
P1220023.JPG
P1220021.JPG
P1220020.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely photos Trevor, love the Skipper on your hand especially :D Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

Well done with the butterflies again, Trevor, and ten out of ten for the first image - we don't see many context shots that include ocean going vessels! :)

kevling

Post by kevling »

Trevor,

Lovely shots of the Wall Brown, a species that I see so very rarely.

Regards Kev

millerd

Post by millerd »

Likewise - I would love to get some shots of Wall Browns as good as those, Trevor... :mrgreen: :)

Dave

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Kev and Dave,

You too can get Wall Brown images like these ( and probably better ).
But they do come at a price, a long hard slog to the top of the hill !.
But the reward, in my experience, are some easy going, approachable Walls.

Best of luck,
Trevor.

trevor

Post by trevor »

A fault keeps wiping my work so please enjoy the images.
Attachments
P1230154.JPG
P1230155.JPG
P1230156.JPG
P1230157.JPG
P1230158.JPG
P1230159.JPG
P1230160.JPG
P1230161.JPG
P1230162.JPG
P1230164.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

Google Chrome has gone down on my computer, something to do with windows.
The method I have to use to get to UKB varies in success.

Today I went to Hutchinson's bank, and eventually found five Glanvilles, all were very
fresh. My sincere thanks to Martin for the directions from the tram terminus.

Anyone visiting, find the earth track at the base of the reserve. All five Butterflies
were found basking on this track.
Sorry to be so brief,

Trevor.

MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

trevor wrote: Today I went to Hutchinson's bank, and eventually found five Glanvilles, all were very
fresh. My sincere thanks to Martin for the directions from the tram terminus.

Anyone visiting, find the earth track at the base of the reserve. All five Butterflies
were found basking on this track.
Sorry to be so brief,

Trevor.
We were all up in the cutting all day, where most of the Glanvilles are at the moment, we had 15 at the same time when the sun was out this morning, in the area between the seat and the end of the scrape on the bend.

The cutting is a continuation of the Farleigh Dean Crescent road, and walk along from the gate at the end of it, you can see the open area of the cutting from this gate.
HB1.jpg
HB2.jpg
The Cutting is on the middle level, the Bridleway muddy track is on the lowest level.
The pictures are looking up the slope, from Featherbed Lane.
The bend in the cutting is in a low spot at that level so it warm and sheltered. [middle right edge]
Last edited by MrSp0ck on Tue May 17, 2016 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Lovely Glanvilles, Trevor, brilliant shots :D I feel a strong urge to see some soon :wink:

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Martin,
I found Farleigh Dean Crescent, but the area I found was devoid of people all day.
On that track I mentioned, I did briefly have a chat with some people from the
wildlife trust when their pickup truck entered from the road.
Being a stranger to the site, and with limited time, I made the most of the Glanville's
I did find. Also noted was the large amount of Plantain on the reserve.

I had a very enjoyable day, many thanks for everything.
Trevor.

MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

I dont think you found the cutting, as we saw the LWT people arrive on the lower track, they walked upto the cutting and were step building at the end all day. There were 6 or 7 people in the cutting photographing various Glanvilles, a larva was also still around. The LWT car did drive up as well.

The Small and Chalkhill Blues are mainly in the cutting, so if you visit again its the first spot to head for, and then drop down to the lower areas.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely images Trevor :D :mrgreen: Computers eh, I thought they were supposed to make life easier? :roll:

Have a goodun
Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

An accident on the A27 caused a 7 mile tail back, I joined the end of the
queue at 08.15. The traffic report on the radio told of jams on all surrounding
roads, so I abandoned my journey to work, and came home.
Well in circumstances like this you have to go Butterflying, don't you ?.
With no hope of getting anywhere by car, I went to the old railway in Hailsham.
It was alive with Butterflies. My first sighting was a very battered, but very welcome
Red Admiral, followed by several Green veined Whites, and a male Orange Tip.
When the sun went in briefly, the OT landed on Cow Parsley, which provided perfect
camouflage for it's underside.
In all very enjoyable compensation for a wasted journey.
Attachments
P1230197.JPG
P1230192.JPG
P1230196.JPG
P1230194.JPG
P1230195.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”