Badgerbob

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
kevling

Re: Badgerbob

Post by kevling »

Badgerbob,

That is a nice shot of ab.taras. What a great find. I'd be happy to see any GS where I leave in East Anglia, let alone an ab.

Regards Kev

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

It was one of those days yesterday when all went to plan and beyond. James (B.Rex) had sent me a message to say he was heading for the bank where we often have good sightings. I was there some time before him and as I was strolling along the base of some bushes I spotted the first Small Copper seen at this site this year. On closer inspection it was clear it was an aberrant. It was also extremely fresh and although it had probably only just dried its wings it was soon battling away with Brown Argus, Dingy Skipper and a Green Hairstreak. After watching it for well over 30 minutes and phoning James to tell him to hurry up it was loyal to one spot until James turned up. At this point it vanished for 10 minutes before returning as it once again chased a Brown Argus. After leaving James I came across a Wall Brown that had also just emerged. It was flying weakly and then did what any respectful Wall Brown doesn't do. It posed for me!!
Small Copper ab. radiata.
Male Wall Brown.
Male Wall Brown.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

badgerbob wrote: It was flying weakly and then did what any respectful Wall Brown doesn't do. It posed for me!!
:shock: :mrgreen:

Looks like you had an exceptional day!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

That's a cracking Radiata Bob ,perfectly posed ,great picture,i've been lucky enough to see a couple ,in the past myself but have never managed a picture approaching those
Always windy or spooked,record shots only i'm afraid ,nice one !! regards Allan.W.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Beautiful !

Best wishes

Hoggers

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Superb photos of the beautiful Small Copper and the Wall is brilliant too!

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

What a great find Bob and fantastic photos too :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots Bob :mrgreen: Goldie :D

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Thanks all for those comments. I did forget to mention that the wind was blowing and it was only due to the butterfly not being too flighty that I was able to wait for a calmer moment!!

David M

Post by David M »

Love your radiata, Bob, and the Wall Brown shot is superb also. I doubt I'll get to see this latter species until mid-June the way things are going with the weather round my part of the UK!

William

Post by William »

Great pictures of both the taras and radiata, Bob - very jealous :)

BWs,

William

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That's a cracking find and a cracking little butterfly Bob! :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

The Chalkhill Blues have now started to emerge locally with a single fresh individual seen in the normal 2016 horrid weather!!
Male Chalkhill Blue.
Male Chalkhill Blue.
Male Chalkhill Blue.
Male Chalkhill Blue.

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

With such a strong 3rd brood of Wall Brown showing locally I have spent a little time watching them over the past 2 days. Both days I also bumped into Trevor as well as Katrina yesterday. A hunt over a larger area yesterday produced at least 20 including 5 females. Today, a smaller area was covered with around 10 seen, all males today. Just a few photo opportunities with the best one being a female nectaring on Scabious. Many of them are already showing signs of wear but there are still a few gems too. It will be interesting to see if this becomes a widespread 3rd brood similar to 2014, or if it is confined to the Southerly slopes as is usual with a 3rd brood.
Female Wall Brown on Scabious.
Male Wall Brown.
Male Wall Brown.

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

That last photo in the sequence is a real stunner Bob! If you ended the year on that one it would be a fantastic way to finish. Knowing you you'll probably pull another couple of great photos out of the bag before it's all over.

All the best

James

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

all I can do is throw a few of these at you for those Walls :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Definitely worth those :mrgreen: I hope they last the week - I haven't seen one this year yet. The undersides are stunning. :)

Dave

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Thanks all for the kind comments. I am so lucky living in an area where these great butterflies are still doing well!! Long may that continue.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great images of the Wall Browns :D

A species that I have missed this year and one that is no longer found in my part of the midlands. How things have changed since I was a nipper in the 1970s and they used to be common around here.

Cheers,

Neil.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Seems everyone is seeing WB's just now, :mrgreen: I wish! yours look great :D Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”