Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Goldie M Waste Land

Post by David M »

That Green Hairstreak is very impressively marked, Goldie.

By the way, what's the reason for the 'Waste Land' change to your diary heading?

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Still no photos of a Specklie for me Goldie - although I have seen a couple now. Great Greenstreaks but I was wondering if your female OT was an aberrant as well due t the massive, crescent moon shaped spot on the fore wing?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Re: Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Mike, I've given up on ab's :D there's so many of them and even if I look them up I'm still in a quandary :D So if some one say's I've got an ab now I put it in my special section on ab's and trust their Judgement :D
Thank's for your comment on the Hair Streaks,I always value your input :D

Thank's Dave, I appreciate your comments on the HS's, as for the Heading in my Dairy, I haven't a clue why it's changed, I don't remember doing any thing to change it, so I don't know what's happened . :?
I know I started my Dairy with Goldie M Waste Land , which at the time it was, now it's called Hall-Lee-Brook having been taken over
and turned into a Nature Reserve which I talk about and visit a lot but I can't see why this would change my Heading, perhaps it's another of my many Hick! cups! :lol:

Hi! Wurzel, sorry to hear you've not got shots of a Speckie yet, that's unusual for you because you can usually pin most things down :D
I expect the weather has some thing to do with it, we've gone from winter straight into Summer with the Butterflies either hiding because it's too cold or too hot, Crazy ! :roll:
I don't know if the OT is an ab or not Wurzel, like I said to Mike, " unless I'm told I don't bother about them now, I will look it up though so thanks for mentioning it. Goldie :D

I've looked in the Species section for both Butterflies and I'm no wiser :D They both could be ab's but what their called for sure :?: Goldie :D
Last edited by Goldie M on Wed May 11, 2016 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I found myself thinking of the famous line from T.S.Eliot's poem 'The Waste Land' : "April is the cruellest month". It seems to have been particularly true this year.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Mike, You couldn't be more right, that's really appropriate :lol: I've taken out the Waste Land from this heading ( hope fully) it will disappear now :lol:
It's rained for two days here, finally looks like it's drying up now, I'm off to Southport tomorrow, thought about you when I planned it you said how much you'd like to visit it again. Last time I went it was totally deserted, no flower's in the Dunes and not one Butterfly, I'm hoping it's different tomorrow. Goldie :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I went to Southport yesterday but my visit to the Dunes turned nothing at all up, I saw a couple of Whites and that was it, so disappointing, but the weather was great so you can't have every thing, looks like it'll take another couple of weeks before things move there, no flowers to speak of, it looked more like March than May :(

Today I visited HLB again, the weather was cool at first but soon warmed up, There was quite a lot of Large Whites and Speckled Woods but I didn't see one Orange Tip and still no Holly Blues to photograph, with the weather turning cool it doesn't look too good for the next few days.

Two Speckled Woods were together in the grass, not sure if the Female was quite ready for him :lol: Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_7674.jpg
IMG_7698.jpg
IMG_7691.jpg
IMG_7684.jpg
IMG_7678.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Still not got any photos of a Specklie Goldie :mrgreen: Nice sequence of behavourial shots - and Large White is another one of my 'seen but not photographed' this year too :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, I'm the same with Holly Blues but I did manage one shot yesterday from a distance before the BF took off so I'll claim it for a first of the season :lol:

Having heard so much about Brockholes Nature Reserve which is only 20 mins a way from where we live, we decided to go yesterday. It turned out to be very enjoyable with the weather warming up after a cold start.

I was impressed with the loads of facilities for Children, play area's and bike rides, what I really enjoyed though was the floating Restaurant, you could have a coffee whilst watching the wild fowl. it felt like being on a boat especially has you could feel a slight move meant :D I've included a few shots taken from the window of the Restaurant .( One bird I've looked up but I'm still not sure what it is) this shot was taken from a large look out they've made over just one of the lakes.

There was also lots of walks and has we went down one of the walks we found these two lovely OT's which had Just mated, sadly I just missed that but was able to take a few shots of them resting together, before the Male flew off, the male looked to have two spots instead of the usual one. Also I managed a shot of this rather worn Peacock.

On the way home we decided to give Hall-Lee-Brook a quick look although it was turned 3pm and at last I got a quick shot of a Holly Blue, If you can find it :lol: Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_7770.jpg
IMG_7774.jpg
IMG_7728.jpg
IMG_7725.jpg
IMG_7721.jpg
IMG_7720.jpg
IMG_7730.jpg
Heron
Heron
Lap Wing
Lap Wing
Reed Lake
Reed Lake
Brockholes Floating Restaurant
Brockholes Floating Restaurant

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Nice Orange-tips Goldie, especially like the male and female together, something I've still never managed to capture! That bird you can't ID is a Common Sandpiper :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thank's Buggy, that's another one to name and Chalk up, :D Glad you like the Ot's , a second or two earlier and I would have seen them mating, Goldie :D

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Nice Orange -tips, Goldie, especially the pair :D

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Good to see M & F Orange Tips together. that floating restaurant looks interesting - like somewhere in the Far East!

The quick key to recognising a Common Sandpiper is to note the white 'armpits' up in front of the wings. It also bobs up and down constantly.

Mike

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thank's Max and Mike, I was really pleased when they posed for me, it was thanks to a cloud that suddenly appeared over us. :lol:

Yes Mike, it's supposed to be the only floating Restaurant in England, you'd love it,( sat there drinking coffee whilst watching the wild life ,) :D we certainly did.
There trying to build the Reed Beds up to attract the Bittern and other birds, it's also on the banks of the River Ribble and contains three or more small lakes, they're also going under the other side of the M6 to complete further lakes, so when it's finished it'll be huge. The children seem to love the facilities and I think it will attract loads of Butterflies. Goldie :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I didn't manage to get to Gait Barrow today, so had to settle for Hall-Lee-Brook, I did see the Holly Blue a teasing mile up into the trees it seemed where it shot from branch to branch ,way too far up for a shot, still I know the tree it likes now so watch out Holly I'll get you yet :lol:

I did see only my second Green Veined White at HLB,( I wonder if this is a sign of more to come :!: )

Also worth a shot was this lovely Chocolate coloured Speckie, it was quite a rich looking colour. Other then the Speckies and Large White Who, weren't stopping for any one, that's all I saw there, still the GVW was worth the visit. Goldie :D
Attachments
Large White the one that got a way
Large White the one that got a way
IMG_7785.jpg
IMG_7784.jpg
IMG_7782.jpg
IMG_7780.jpg
IMG_7779.jpg
IMG_7776.jpg

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Goldie, loving the photo of the Orange-tip pair together :D

Cheers,

Neil.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great Specklie and a fairly typical Large White shot Goldie ie blink and it's gone :roll: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thank You Neil and Wurzel, I'm still hoping to get some Pearl shot's but the weather's taken a turn for the worst even had the heating on for a spell today, we'll see what tomorrow brings. Goldie :)

David M

Post by David M »

Such a shame that the weather's on the turn, Goldie, just as things seemed to be hotting up in NW England.

Keep persevering though. Your reward will come!

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! David, the weather was nice yesterday and we went to Gait Barrow, no Dukes, no Butterflies to speak of except for Speckies :D A few whites which didn't stop so I'm not sure what's happening up there. :? I think the weather played a big part in all this because when we just had rain in April and a covering of snow they had heavy snow up there. Being patient though I'm finding hard :D

The Bugle flower is out now but still no Pearls and I believe the Dukes are out in( Whit-barrow)I Cumberland,( I think that's how you spell it ), I've not been there, I've got so used to going to GB :D So we'll stick it out and try again next week. :) They'd Roped all the Duke area off when we got there so it was a bit disappointing not to see any thing :(
We did see just one Green Hair Streak in the place we saw them previously but it looked a bit worse for wear much paler green and a small piece out of it's wing, It was the only thing I took a shot of besides the Speckie but we'll keep at it :D
We even had a look at Warton NR and we saw nothing there at all, the hills there are very steep and rock's are every where, too much climbing, we kept to the lower slopes, I suppose the Pearl's could be on the higher slopes but we'll have to leave them to younger Butterfly enthusiasts :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_7791.jpg
IMG_7807.jpg

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Nothing seen here since I last posted with the exception of a Small White in the Garden today who took advantage of some sun in-between the heavy cloud , the weathers been wet and cold and with more rain forecast it's not looking too good for next week either, I'll have to try and dodge out in-between showers :( Hope I can get up to Gait Barrow at some point in time. Goldie :)
Attachments
Small White 20th May.jpg
IMG_7811.jpg

Return to “Personal Diaries”