Katrina

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: Katrina

Post by Pauline »

You've posted some great images recently Katrina but I just have to tell you how much I admire the owl shot. It was certainly worth getting up early for and I imagine you had to be mighty fast to grab that shot :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Trevor and Wurzel.
Than you Pauline I was certainly pleased to see it as we went back to the car park. The owl stayed for a while hunting in the field next to the car park but I only have the macro lens for my camera so it was a case of taking a lot of photos and hoping for the best.
Today my sister and I went to Abbots Wood to see the Pearls. It was my first time there and we eventually saw some vey active Pearls. The wood was beautiful though with many, many bluebells. We saw a Hairy Dragonfly and a Broad-bodied Chaser, many Orange-tips and Brimstones, a few Red Admirals, Peacocks and a Green-Veined White. We then went on to another site I haven't been to before - Friston Gallops. We saw quite a few Dingy Skippers, Grizzled Skippers, Red Admirals, Peacocks, five Small Coppers and I think a Green Carpet Moth. We also saw a Hobby. I went to photograph a Peacock which took off, I was perplexed that I didn't manage to see where it had gone to when my sister pointed out it had landed on the back of my hat!
Attachments
DSC00477.jpg
DSC00494.jpg
P1000819.jpg
Last edited by Katrina on Mon May 09, 2016 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Looks like you had a cracking day at Abbot's Wood and Friston Gallops Katrina. You're also doing very well with the birds of prey! You know you're becoming famous when the butterflies start wanting their pictures taken with you. :wink:

Best wishes

James

Katrina

Abbot's Wood Again

Post by Katrina »

My sister and I returned to Abbots Wood this morning. When we arrived some Pearls were warming up on the path. Later a Green Hairstreak came to join them and proved to be the star of the day moving from the path onto the bluebells. We later wandered around looking for other areas with Pearls and were very pleased to see Bugboy who took us to another area. On arrival there we met Trevor and 2 other gentlemen who showed us a mating pair. Thanks to all. Other butterflies seen included Orange-Tips, Peacocks, Red Admirals, Brimstones and a Speckled Wood.
Attachments
DSC00527.jpg
DSC00597.jpg
DSC00612.jpg

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Nice to bump into you again Katrina :) , that picture of the Pearls sitting next to each other is gorgeous!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Bugboy, looking forward to you report.

David M

Post by David M »

Love the grounded pair of PBFs shot, Katrina. Going early gives you a chance to 'capture' them before they've filled their energy tanks ready for a day of whizzing around like motorised darts!

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I envy you your Pearl's Katrina, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I went to Warton yesterday didn't see one although they've been seen (too hot and windy) Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely shot Katrina and a very interesting Greenstreak - more of a 'one spotter' than proper streak :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Today I went to Heyshott for a couple of hours. Lots of Dukes and Green Hairstreaks around. Also plentiful Dingy Skippers with some Grizzled Skippers, Small Heaths and Brimstones. I then went on to Kithurst where I saw approx 10 Small Blues, one Duke, some Dingy Skippers and two Red Admirals.
Attachments
DSC00677.jpg
DSC00704.JPG

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

This evening I went out to Chantry Hill and saw only one Small Heath and the butterfly in the photos. I think it is a Brown Argus but am not sure. I then went for a quick look at Kithurst and found one Small Blue.
Attachments
DSC00794.jpg
DSC00802.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shot of the Greenstreak with just a hint of the upper side :D I reckon that looks like a Brown Argus as the spots don't make a nice 'curve', ind you I haven't seen once since October in 2015 so my BA ID is a little rusty :) Great shots! :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Wurzel. I was thinking BA on the basis of the double dot but it's hard to be confident. Nice to have confirmation. :D :D

Katrina

Mill Hill Magic Dusk

Post by Katrina »

This evening I went to Mill Hill to try and find some roosting Grizzled Skippers. There were a lot of roosting blues about, at least 20 - a mixture of Common and Adonis . I found 2 Grizzled Skippers and a few Small Heaths.
Attachments
DSC01167.jpg
DSC01031.JPG
DSC01071.jpg
DSC01103.JPG
DSC01212.jpg

trevor

Post by trevor »

Lovely tranquil scene from Mill Hill.
A total contrast to my visit there in the morning !.

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Ah yes, but you managed to get the open wing Adonis shot which I was too late for Trevor.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Missed you by two days-we were there Thursday! Doesn't Mill Hill look glorious with all that horseshoe vetch at the moment?

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Yes, yellow everywhere.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

That Small Heath is a stunner, I love how you've picked out the detail of the hairs, looks like he's got a woolly coat on!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Bugboy, I was pleased to find him roosting on a flower as I was leaving. He probably needs his coat the way the temperature seems to be changing.

Return to “Personal Diaries”