Susie

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Susie

Re: Susie

Post by Susie »

David M wrote:
Susie wrote:At this time of year every butterflying day is a bonus taking us nearer to the start of next years season!
How true!

In another month's time, we'll ALL be yearning for early March.
Yes indeed, although I'm hoping to see the odd red admiral right up until the end of autumn :D

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Susie

Post by Susie »

bugboy wrote:
Susie wrote:Belted Galloways, that was what you said they were, wasn't it? :D
No I said Saddlebacks, knowing full well at the time that was a type of pig :lol:
I

I didn't contradict you :lol: I just thought it was a breed I didn't know. Lol. My daughter is the cow expert.

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Finally some photos.
Attachments
image.jpg

Susie

Post by Susie »

Silver spotted skipper at Denbies.
Attachments
image.jpg

Susie

Post by Susie »

brownies from Monday.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Susie

Post by Susie »

Brown hairstreak doing the Hokey Cokey. 'You lift your left leg up, your rear end down ...' Maybe not :lol:
Attachments
image.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots and worth the wait Susie :D Looking forward to the Social :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Susie

Post by Susie »

Today I was a bit tired and grumpy (watched the eclipse last night) but a slog up the hill at Kingley Vale lifted my spirits eventually. It was a beautiful day, very reminiscent of summer, but butterflies were quite few between apart from speckled woods which were in good numbers in a few places. There were some brimstones fattening up for winter, a few battered Browns I wasn't able to identify, a red admiral and a painted lady. Not a huge number but not bad for Autumn I guess. The views were spectacular and the yew trees managed to put me in a more relaxed and contemplative frame of mind.

Susie

Post by Susie »

Hello, yes it's me. Still here!

I've been very envious of the long tailed blues people have been seeing and so have had a couple of (unfortunately unsuccessful) trips to look for them.

However my back garden is still pulling in red admirals so there is something to be grateful for :D

Susie

Post by Susie »

Spring has almost sprung! The first frogspawn of the year arrived in my pond last night, a week earlier than last year.

I've only had one butterfly sighting so far this year. An unidentifiable butterfly flew high over Cranleigh High Street back in January (possibly a painted lady), twice it was attacked in flight by jackdaws and both times it managed to escape. Hurrah!

Hopefully the next sighting will be soon.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I'm glad that you're off the mark Susie, I'm still deep in the winter blues but hopefully it won't be too much longer now :D

Have a goodun
Wurzel

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Susie

Post by Susie »

I think you were a tad optimistic, Wurzel! Today I watched a holly blue which as been hanging around my garden for the past week trying to fly in a snow/hail shower as the warmish sunshine suddenly turned wintery.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Same here today Susie, awful weather. Goldie :(

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Sorry Susie - I jinxed it :oops: :(

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Susie

Post by Susie »

Lol, no worries Wurzel!

I am pleased to say my luck has definitely changed. At the weekend I went to Denbies and saw one green hairstreak, one grizzled skipper and one small tort before the rain came down. I went back this morning and there were at least a dozen green hairstreak, a holly blue, a couple of peacocks and brimstones, a dingy skipper and the odd unidentifiable white. A definite improvement! :)

millerd

Post by millerd »

I'm glad to see Denbies is starting to burst forth - time for another visit I think. :)

Dave

Susie

Post by Susie »

Time to update my diary.

I had a couple of trips to Denbies. The green hairstreaks seem to be doing well there this year.

The weekend before last I went on two of Neil Hulme's walks for Sussex BC; Rewell Wood on the Saturday and Heyshott Escarpment on the Sunday. Both times the walks were excellent and we were all delighted to see the target species.

On Saturday I went to Heyshott Escarpment again and was amazed to have the whole place to myself for hours. This has to be one of the best butterfly sites I know. The Dukes were showing really well but I am afraid it was the green hairstreaks who again stole the show for me.

Today I went to Hutchinsons Bank and was pleased to bump into Pauline and later Martin and Fred. They were all so helpful and knowledgeable and I am very grateful.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Last edited by Susie on Sat May 21, 2016 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

We also had Heyshott to ourselves last week, Susie, which was surprising it's such a great place. The Green Hairstreaks were amazing.

Nice Glanville shots from Hutchinsons Bank, that's an attractive pupa too.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Glad you got your Glanvilles Susie, nice shots :) You Greenies and Dukes aren't too shabby either!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

What a combination, Green Hairstreak on an Orchid and Glanvilles as well !.
Lucky Lady, and great images.

Best wishes,
Trevor.

Return to “Personal Diaries”