Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Trevor

Post by Goldie M »

Great shots Trevor, we usually have loads of Tort's here but I've only seen about four or five so far and that was mid March. Goldie :)

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

A bright sunny morning, but with a chilly breeze meant that the Butterflies
were slow to appear. But two firsts for the season made an appearance.
A superb Large White landed nearby, allowing a close up shot, followed by
a Holly Blue which I tracked until it landed. I am not sure if it was a very fresh
specimen, or weather it was deformed but the wings were crumpled on one side.
Speckled Wood numbers are building, with about twelve seen.
Attachments
P1200635.JPG
P1200633.JPG
P1200632.JPG
P1200634.JPG

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Nice shots Trevor, nothing like that here yet. Goldie :)

trevor

Post by trevor »

With improving temperatures this afternoon I decided that another
trip to the old railway might be worthwhile.
A particularly fine Peacock put in an appearance, as did a Comma,
neither species being seen in abundance today. Although there was a
good choice of Speckled Woods to photograph.
Attachments
P1200652.JPG
P1200651.JPG
P1200653.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Still to see Specklie, Large White and Holly Blue so pretty envious of your recent postings Trevor :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

If Speckled Woods are your favourite Butterflies, please enjoy.
If not please endure !.

Numbers of Speckled Wood have built spectacularly this week.
Whilst aiming my camera at one, there were three pairs in aerial
combat/courtship, they were everywhere !.

The prize of the day went to my first Red Admiral of this year.
Frustratingly it would not settle in a position for a decent shot.
The frustration continued as three Holly Blues chased each other
high up in an Ivy clad tree.
Another basking Peacock could not be resisted.
Attachments
P1200702.JPG
P1200704.JPG
P1200707.JPG
P1200705.JPG
P1200701.JPG
P1200706.JPG
P1200700.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

A Red Admiral along with three Holly Blues simultaneously ain't bad going for mid-April, Trevor.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Brilliant - Red Admiral! :) I reckon none of last Autumn's survived the curious and somewhat prolonged winter round here... You have more Specklies that I do as well... :mrgreen:

Dave

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Dave,

I think you're right, my first Red Admiral last year was Feb.17th. Also very few
have been reported on UKB so far. They were quite plentiful around here last Autumn.

trevor

Post by trevor »

P1200816.JPG
This morning I arranged to meet Butterflying friend Doug. Neve at the old railway.
As he arrived I was photographing the first of five Holly Blues seen. We were later
joined by B.Saurus Rex. With the Butterflies performing well our cameras were kept
occupied. Then what we had hoped would turn up, did !. A first Orange Tip of the year,
for the three of us, a female!.

Other highlights were a pair of Speckled Woods, with the female playing dead, and a
Peacock and Speckled Wood sharing a perch.
In all a brilliant morning spent in good company.
Attachments
P1200817.JPG
P1200818.JPG
P1200814.JPG
P1200815.JPG
P1200819.JPG
P1200813.JPG

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Some nice shots there Trevor! I've seen that behaviour before with the Speckled Wood but never managed to get a shot that portrayed the behaviour so clearly - Well done :D :mrgreen:

trevor

Post by trevor »

Thank's Pauline, Guess what !, I went back this afternoon and it got even better :D .

trevor

Post by trevor »

Having said farewell to Doug and B Saurus Rex I went home for lunch.
But I just had to go back this Afternoon for another fix. This time the
Holly Blues were properly up and about. I can dispel any fears that there
numbers may have crashed this Spring.
It was hard to estimate numbers, as regular chases were taking place, confusing
the eye. Mostly males were seen, but there are at least two females in my images.
Photography was difficult however owing to the very bright sunshine.
Attachments
P1200855.JPG
P1200854.JPG
P1200846.JPG
P1200850.JPG
P1200851.JPG
P1200848.JPG
P1200845.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

Lovely audience with those Holly Blues, Trevor. Nice to see the females are out and about as they're usually a bit more approachable.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely photos Trevor of the Holly Blue and Hope fully Orange Tips will come soon to Hall-Lee-Brook where I live. Goldie :D

millerd

Post by millerd »

Nice Holly Blues, Trevor. :) Better numbers than I've seen round here so far too. :mrgreen:

Dave

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

You're having a very good spring so far..... but I hope you haven't stowed away all your woolly jumpers just yet, getting colder again very soon!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks folks.
I am very fortunate to have such a fabulous site so close to home, about .75 of a mile.
So far this year I think that every Spring species has now been seen there, except of course
for the specialities which require their own particular habitat.
Talking of those, Pearl Bordered Fritillaries next week ?.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely OTs and HBs Trevor :D :mrgreen: Not heard a whiff about PBF yet and what with the late start to spring I'm not sure when they'll turn up? Ideally they'll start emerging next Tuesday so by the time the Bank Holiday weekend arrives (and with favourable weather) they'll be out proper - mind you that's a hell of a lot of hope :shock: :? :)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

P1200884.JPG
As this awful Spring continues,I take every opportunity to get out with the camera.
Today we had beautiful Spring sunshine accompanied by a biting Arctic wind, never the less
I paid a visit to the old railway, the cutting providing some respite from the worst of
the wind. As soon as I arrived I could see a white Butterfly land in the distance, and it was
in no hurry to take off again, allowing several images to be taken,
By this time ominous dark clouds were approaching, which later produced a heavy sleet shower.
Nothing else seen unsurprisingly !.
Attachments
P1200887.JPG
P1200883.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”