Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Mike Robinson

Re: Pauline

Post by Mike Robinson »

Dear Pauline: Whoooops. Do we have a misunderstanding? I don't think so but just in case I certainly wasn't questioning your judgement. Merely noting that I often have trouble distinguishing between Large and Small White Butterflies! I would be mortified that you should think that I was in any way doubting you.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Apologies Mike - I'm still a little upset after the last few days and totally mis-read your comment. Thank you for the compliment and for pointing out my error.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

Phew!

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

You've just made me laugh Mike - thank you :D You will have seen from recent posts that I'm certainly no expert and I hope you wouldn't hesitate in the future to draw my attention to stuff I may have gotten wrong :D Looking forward to reading more of your diary.

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Amused about the 'whites'. I've had a few flying through the garden recently but have not reported them because I haven't a clue which they are :) One even flew by during a thunderstorm, looking spectacularly white against the black clouds.

Mike

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I've never seen Whites fly in a thunderstorm Mike but I've watched PE fly in one!

A few interesting insects in the moth trap last night - some moths I've never seen before, including this gorgeous moth which I believe is a Red Chestnut:
P1770396ad.jpg
P1770406ad.jpg
P1770411ad.jpg
Another newbie was this moth which at the moment I have been unable to identify:
P1770383ad.jpg
The aptly named Oak Beauty showing amazing camouflage which Goldie has commented on it the past. Most of the shots are taken on the same tree but whatever the colours and patterns on the moths they all seem to blend in remarkably well:
P1770387ad.jpg
An evil looking creature took me a little by surprise as I ferreted amongst the egg cartons. No idea what it is but I took a shot as it scurried away:
P1770415ad.jpg
Last but not least was another gorgeous moth which I initially thought was a Grey Shouldered-knot but I have now settled on Early Grey as being the most likely candidate for ID. Another beauty even if it does sound like a brand of tea!
P1770417ad.jpg
P1770421ad.jpg
P1770429ad.jpg

Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

I think the 'Red Chestnut' Moth to be a lovely looking arrangement ...

andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Hi Pauline,

Will take a look when home but maybe chestnut the other is caddis fly and early grey stuck in a meeting all day in Bristol

Andy

andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Hi, now I have taken a look on the PC rather than my phone, yep good shout it is Red Chestnut, and your beetle is as far as I can see a black sexton beetle

Cheers

Andy

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Pauline, I took a photo today of a bird with an insect in it's mouth that looks some thing like your insect, I'm going to post it, I don't know what the bird is, I just saw it fly into the tree and it looked different when I got home and put it on the computer I got a real surprise :D

I took a shot of a white but I'm not sure what it is either, it was bit away from me. The Chestnut moth makes a nice change from the other paler ones, it suits it's name. :D Goldie :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Pauline,

Great moth photos :D

I will second your Early Grey, I have had a few of those in my trap...and the Black Sexton Beetle, had a couple of those as well.

Your Oak Beauty is a Brindled Beauty, similar size and shape but different markings. I had one last week but mine was looking more tired and faded.

All the best,

Neil.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I can see how folk get hooked on moths Mike cos there are some absolutely stunning ones out there, altho' it is still the macros which get my attention. Thank you for your comment.

You already know what I think Goldie - great shots :mrgreen: Careful- you could well be next to move to the dark side :lol:

Thanks for the prompt help with ID's Andy.

Hi Neil - thanks for the compliment but I think your moth shots are a great deal better than mine. They are much better composed and show off the insect to the best advantage. I really must get more imaginative instead of using the same old tree as a background. As others have said your Pine Beauty is fantastic :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I had been hoping for one of those but no joy yet. Thank you for the ID too. I had originally considered Brindled Beauty but it looked so different to the ones in the trap last week - perhaps it was just faded.

Yesterday was warm (well, warm-ish) but dull and cloudy so I decided to continue my search for Duke pupa :lol: I am paying particular attention to the areas where I monitored the larva last season and also the areas where the early Dukes are emerging. I didn't really expect to see any Dukes but in the event stumbled across 2. It is a pity that I managed to delete the photos from my camera thinking that I had already downloaded them so I shall post a couple more I took last week. At one point I felt I was being watched and looked round to see a large fly observing me - it had the biggest eyes :shock:
P1770468ad.jpg
P1770350bd.jpg
P1770336ad.jpg
P1770344ad.jpg

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Dukes Pauline, don't like the look in that fly's eyes though :lol: Goldie :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Goldie. I don't like flies, full stop, as they usually treat me as a fast food supplier :evil:

Before dashing off to the dentist this morning I thought I'd check on the WA cats. They are still very tiny and I have seen no signs of feeding yet. At this time last year my WA cat was active and feeding - and had been from 1 April. Compared to the shots I took just over a week ago they seem to have made little progress. Both in an awkward position on the plant but I have always said I wouldn't disturb a cat for the sake of a photo so this is the best I could get:
P1770524ad.jpg
P1770539ad.jpg
The Glanvilles on the other hand seem to be at different stages of development and their sizes vary greatly. I find this a bit strange as they have all been together and subjected to exactly the same conditions. I am sure some are nearing pupation whereas others are still quite tiny. Six of them are shown below - they fell off the mesh when I removed it to water the plant:
P1770574ad.jpg
P1770582ad.jpg

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Pauline wrote:The Glanvilles on the other hand seem to be at different stages of development and their sizes vary greatly. I find this a bit strange as they have all been together and subjected to exactly the same conditions. I am sure some are nearing pupation whereas others are still quite tiny. Six of them are shown below - they fell off the mesh when I removed it to water the plant
Thats pretty much the state of play with the ones I saw at HB the other day Pauline, so I wouldn't worry too much about the size difference :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I appreciate that reassurance Buggy - I think I'm becoming over-anxious about getting stuff wrong :roll: I'd also convinced myself that the WA are too small :roll: so after the dentist I set off for a second visit to the Straits, hoping to find some in the wild to make comparisons. I didn't succeed but had a lovely stroll along the main rides seeing 6 species of butterflies, including 4 Orange Tips!! :D This wouldn't normally have gotten me excited but after the Spring we haven't had I was delighted to see them - so delighted in fact that I walked into a ditch full of muddy water which came over the tops of my boots, instead of watching where I was going :oops: . I managed to grab a few shots as I made my way along:
P1770571ad.jpg
P1770545ad.jpg
P1770554ad.jpg
P1770562ad.jpg
I turned around for a second, distracted by a bird call and when I looked back I thought I could see a Robin among the Honeysuckle. I quickly realised that it wasn't a Robin but a small bird with an Orange Tip in its beak. In the time it took to get the close-up lens off my camera, the bird was challenged by a second bird, whereupon they both spiraled up into the air, the butterfly providing an early lunch for the original bird. I wasn't as fast as Goldie and disappointed not to get the shot - neither did I recognise the birds but they were small - not much bigger than Goldcrests but a more slender shape and I believe the tail was quite short - not much to go on but it was all over so fast!

By now my soggy feet were becoming uncomfortable and the anaesthetic was wearing off my mouth which was starting to throb. I started to make my way back down to the entrance when I was stopped in my tracks by the unmistakable purr of Turtle Doves. I have heard them at Noar Hill and in other localities but I can't remember ever seeing them here. I was removing the close-up lens as I scanned the trees for their whereabouts, hoping to get a photo, any sort of photo, when they flew off over my head, close enough for me to hear that one of them was purring as he flew away. I was delighted to see them but it took me by surprise as it is usually May when they appear in my garden.

So, despite it being brief, a great walk in the sunshine with a smattering of butterflies - and on my return I caught up with Guy's diary and was relieved to see that there are some tiny WA cats out there after all :D

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Good to see Orange Tips about, though it is unfortunate for them that they emerge just as the Spring migrant birds arrive - Chiffchaffs, Blackcaps, etc - all feeling very hungry after their long migration!

Your interest in moths should sustain you for quite a while, with so many subtly-different species! Don't miss out on some very beautiful micros - the attractive group known as Pyralids should be out on the Downs, looking like tiny bright jewels.

Mike

David M

Post by David M »

Your Orange Tip has a much larger black forewing spot than I'm used to seeing, Pauline, and even extends into a faint 'smudge' along the upper edge.

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Pauline,
Lovely Orange Tip shots, saw my first one yesterday, a female.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

David M beat me too it, might have an OT ab there Pauline :)

From your description I reckon the bird eating the OT was a chiffchaff or Willow Warbler

Some addictions are good for the soul!

Return to “Personal Diaries”