Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Freeman

Re: Wurzel

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great report and photos of your Osprey sighting Wurzel :D .

Cheers,

Neil

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Buggy :D It certainly made up for the lack of butterflies :D
Cheers Rex :D I know the feeling, many a time I've been 'gripped' - there is always some bright spark that comes out with the immortal line "you should have been here 5 minutes ago..." :roll:
Cheers Trevor :D It certainly is - this is my fourth ever sighting 8)
Cheers Neil :D It was one of the few times that I've been in the right place at the right time :D

Honeybrook Farm 05-04-2016

According to the weather reports this was supposed to be the best weather day of the week and so we headed out for a family outing. However it wasn’t to Middle Street, Five Rivers or another of my early sites but instead was to Honeybrook Farm so that the girls could have a run around and feed lambs etc. I took my camera just in case as I was hoping that the riverside walk would yield at least a Brimsone and hopefully an Orange-tip…Once there things didn’t really go according to plan. The riverside walk was closed due to flooding :? , the weather turned for the worst clouding over and bursting into a hail storm and heavy showers :( and the activities for the girls were crowded as there were three nursery schools on trips :? .

During one very brief sunny spell I did see two butterflies – one was a definite male Brimstone and the other could have been a female or a Small White. It didn’t stop for an actual ID unfortunately so I’ll have to note it down as a UFW. As we were heading to the stable block ready for ‘Small Animal Handling’ I saw a Peacock in the corner of the window of one of the buildings. It was a Peacock and due to the placement and the large number of webs around it I assumed that it was dead and so took a picture of it through the glass. The flash went off and this meant that it went from deceased to active and annoyed!
Misty as through glass...
Misty as through glass...
DSC_3798.JPG
After that we cut our losses and headed homewards. Oh well nothing ventured nothing gained, I just wish that spring would stop beating around the bush and actually spring…
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Five Rivers 10-04

The Easter break is almost up – I’ve had two weeks during which time I’ve seen very few butterflies and had almost no opportunities to get out and try and find any – either because of renovations, work, because I was looking after the girls or (mainly) because the weather has been so non conducive. To be honest at times it’s felt like we’ve picked up the wrong card on a Monopoly board: “Go directly to Autumn/winter, do not pass spring/summer and do not see any butterflies”. So on my final day of the break in shear desperation I visited Five Rivers with K. Over the years she has been something of an oracle and so I asked my usual question “Will we see anything?” which got a negative response...

Once on site it seemed that the oracle was indeed correct as the sun was pretty intermittent, and even though the ground was a couple of degrees warmer than the ambient temperature the wind was keen and biting. We scanned Comma Corner and the Banks waiting for the few minutes of bright sun and the wind to drop. But after a 15 minutes or so with no joy we moved on round to the other side of the reserve where hopefully it might be a bit more sheltered form the freezing wind.
There were positive signs with several species of bee flying including a large red tailed one but even here we drew a blank for any butterflies so we tried once more at the Banks before calling it a day. On the stroll back to the car we checked out the heat mats as I was hoping for a Grass Snake – a species that I’ve not photographed before. We found nests of Black and Yellow ants and a Slow Worm but drew a blank on the Grass Snake as well. I’ve never known Five Rivers to be so disappointing in April.
DSC_3802 - Copy.JPG
DSC_3811 - Copy.JPG
The highlight of the day must have been the odd sight of seven or eight bumble bees all on the deck in a line along a small animal track. It must have been because the temperature had dropped again as the sun had been behind the clouds for about 10 minutes or so and hence the Bees flight muscles were too cool. It looked like they’d all dropped to the ground from flying in formation and were all frantically vibrating their thorax and their flight muscles in a bid to raise their core temperature to such a level to allow flight. One by one they took off so job done!
DSC_3812 - Copy.JPG
And so here I am in April still posting but with very few butterflies, in fact only four species…what is going on? Have we been spoilt by previous years when the weather has been good, is this a ‘normal’ spring? I hope things improve drastically soon…

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Wurzel wrote:“Go directly to Autumn/winter, do not pass spring/summer and do not see any butterflies"...
Like the analogy, Wurzel. I empathise 100%.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Work 12-04

And so nose back to the grind stone it was…and wouldn’t you know but the weather drastically improved after a pretty dismal break for butterflies. Such was the improvement that all morning I was pestered by a Brimstone. I kept flying past my window taunting me. Come lunch break I grabbed my camera and headed out to see what I could find and maybe even nail the frustrating little yellow blighter!

I didn’t hang around and cut straight across to the housing estate noting a single Small Tort in one of the gardens on the corner. Once on the path there were a few more Small Torts and a Peacock along the path on the way to the end and back and then I carried back towards the school playing fields. As I strolled along scanning a white flew by. The size and colour made me realise that it was a ‘proper’ white and not a female Brimstone but it was very distant and wasn’t stopping for love nor money so I tried a few aerial shots as it bombed across the path and into one of the gardens. Looking at the photo zoomed in a lot I’m fairly confident that it was my first Small White of 2016.
DSC_3821 - Copy.JPG
DSC_3827 - Copy (2).JPG
DSC_3856 - Copy.JPG
I got back to focusing on Small Torts reaching a total of nine, once back and approaching the garden where I saw my first butterfly of the outing I saw a Peacock backing on the path. I was in a bit of quandary what to do next as the butterfly was a bit of a way away and on the other side of the gate. Now if it had been my first of the season or something slightly rarer I would have just gone through the gate and down the path as if I was calling on the house owner, got my shots and then acted as if I’d changed my mind and would try again later. But as it was a Peacock and hopefully I should see plenty more this season I stuck with just reaching my camera out as far as my arms would stretch and then clicked a few times with the autofocus whirring away.
DSC_3870 - Copy.JPG
Back in the lab I was gutted to see the Brimstone complete several more fly-bys. At one point it made as if to land and I paused mid-way through explaining Lamarckism and held my breath but it only landed for a second or two and then was off again. A little later it landed and my year 11’s aged me on to nip out and get a few shots so I did. It was literally a case of grab camera take 12 steps outside, take a shot, another step another shot and then rapidly fire of 5-6 shots before heading back into the classroom again. I think I was out of the lesson for less than a minute. Still shot in the bag so it was worth it!
DSC_3878 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Last edited by Wurzel on Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David M

Post by David M »

Wurzel wrote:Back in the lab I was gutted to see the Brimstone complete several more fly-bys. At one point it made as if to land and I paused mid-way through explaining Lamarckism and held my breath but it only landed for a second or two and then was off again. A little later it landed and my year 11’s aged me on to nip out and get a few shots so I did. It was literally a case of grab camera take 12 steps outside, take a shot, another step another shot and then rapidly fire of 5-6 shots before heading back into the classroom again. I think I was out of the lesson for less than a minute.
LOL! That's dedication for you.

Quite a result too, given you only had a few seconds to devote to it.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shot of the Brimstone Wurzel, it must have been hard to concentrate with the Brimstone flying back and forth :lol: Hope the weather has been kinder to you since. Goldie :D

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I admire your dedication to getting our Brimstone :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers David :D I was in a Mountie mode that day :D
Cheers Goldie :D Unfortunately the weather has been all wrong - too cold yet sunny or just warm enough and raining stroll on June :roll:
Cheers Buggy :D So long as my boss doesn't read UKB it'll be all alright :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, I'm luckier than you because I'm not tied to work (just house work ) :lol: I'm retired and can go out when the weather is good, even so I've only seen eight species so far , like you say, hope the weather gets warmer soon. Goldie :D

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I think your boss should be delighted with you, Wurzel, even if he does read UKB! When I watch University Challenge - or any other quiz programme for that matter - I find it depressing how even the brightest people seem to have no knowledge of natural history. I know at least two heads of biology who couldn't tell a brimstone from a clouded yellow or an oak from an ash. Your students have got a real biology teacher.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Guy :D I might use your comments in my next 'Performance Management/Performance Related Pay' meeting if that's alright? :D :oops:
Cheers Goldie :D 8 Species - you're beating me by one! Let's hope the weather gets warmer soon!

Work 13-04

And so to work on yet another great day. I guess that by the weekend the weather will have turned back to the worst so it will either be mild but wet and windy or sunny but biting cold. Oh well best make hay while the sun shines. And with this in mind I headed out at lunch with my camera and Chilli Chicken sandwich.
Again I cut through the housing estate which means I get to the main track much quicker. The banks held a few Small Torts and a single Peacock which was playing hard to get again so I walked to the end and doubled back. I’d gotten to 4 Small Torts so far and after doubling back I started my count again adding another Tort to the tally.
DSC_3886 - Copy.JPG
DSC_3901 - Copy.JPG
I now moved onto parts of the path that I hadn’t already covered and up by the large bush a male Brimstone did a fly by and another/same Peacock again played hard to get sitting at just the right elevation and angle to make a shot impossible. I carried on my way and tried for a few aerial shots of a female Brimstone but even better she landed just long enough for a grab shot and then I got a few by shooting through the gaps in the fence.
DSC_3909 - Copy.JPG
DSC_3919 - Copy.JPG
Back on the field a third Peacock was feeding up and I was able to add another couple of Small Torts but still no Orange-tip, not even a sniff of one. Back through the estate all bar one of the gardens was bereft of butterflies. The single inhabited one held a white but it was so distant I was only able to get a very unclear record shots and one which would actually be better for a game of ‘find the butterfly’.
DSC_3922 - Copy.JPG
DSC_3924 - Copy.JPG
DSC_3925 - Copy.JPG
I also stopped on the way home in my spring pull in spot having been encouraged by seeing 7 Brimstones on the journey up until this point. I did manage to find a single Comma but no whites and still no OT. Of all the spring species this is the one I worry about – the hibernators, Specklies and whites I’ll get another crack at. The Grizzlies and Greenstreaks I know that I need to go to the correct places but the OT could turn up anywhere, you only get one shot a year and they are fully intent on finding a mate not sitting still for photographers – plus they’re around when the weather is at it’s most unpredictable and so blink and you may miss them in a bad season. Oh well hopefully I’ll find one soon and my worrying will be over…
DSC_3938 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Wurzel,
I agree about the Orange Tip. My main concern with the population from the old railway
is that the Garlic Mustard only grows close to the path, also there is no Cuckoo flower at this site.
Every summer the site is cleared by a tractor and flail to within several feet of the path.
I wonder how many pupae are destroyed. Hopefully it's just the cold that's keeping them quiet.

Trevor.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, at least your seeing a few more Butterflies now :) Here it's the odd one let's hope you see OT's soon. Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D I've finally seen OT's now - both males and females so I think it was just a case of them staying hidden away while it was too cold. Next on the worry list is Duke and Pearls...maybe next weekend!
Cheers Goldie :D Finally got some OTs but I'm so far behind with my PD/work/house renovations I don't know when I'll be able to post them...better get on with it! :lol:

May 2016

Oh for some decent weather when I'm not at work!
5 May.jpg
Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

looking good by the end of the week Wurzel, 20 degrees in places :D I was starting to worry I'd picked the wrong time to take a bit of holiday but it's come up trumps after all :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Bugboy :D Here's hoping the weekend is a good as I'm hoping it will be - enjoy your break I hope it's fruitful :D

Middle Street 17-04-2016

I took great delight in getting out today, risking the cool weather and not seeing anything and even greater delight when someone I meet tells me that’s it’s too cold for Butterflies yet I’ve just counted 7 Small Torts within my first 5 minutes on site! I was back at Middle Street one of my early sites – generally after the Smessex have appeared I find that I don’t get back here but during the first part of the season it’s generally a good site to visit with some nice, sheltered hot spots which act as…well hotspots.

I’d started off at the small unmown area behind the football pitches and there were many Small Torts flitting about between backing on the molehills and feeding on the Coltsfoot/Dandelions. At one point I was able to see four Small torts all sitting in a line but I could only manage to get three of the four in shot. From here I wandered along the raised bank/flood defence a peeped over to the river. The sun was heading in and out of the clouds and it was alternating between dark and nippy to bright and pleasantly warm. Whilst the sun was in I’d watch the birds and it was great to catch a glimpse of a Sedge Warbler, hear the explosive ching, ching-ching, ching-chingity-ching-ching-chhinngg of a Cetti’s and watch Swallows stooping low over the river. A male Reed Bunting appeared close enough for a few grab shots.
DSC_3943 - Copy.JPG
DSC_3959 - Copy.JPG
DSC_3981 - Copy.JPG
When the sun came out I’d focus my efforts on the butterflies which seemed to appear after a couple of minutes of prolonged sun. The trick I used was to time my ambles to try and reach a sheltered little nook of the reserve just as the sun cut through the cloud. Then I’d sit back and scan about watching for any movement. It seemed to work as round by the dry pond I’d set up shop, all was quiet and then as the sun crept over the earth a blinding white butterfly appeared and flew along the edge of the neighbouring garden. It came back round and did another pass and I was able to creep up on it and so got my first definite Small White of 2016.
DSC_3999 - Copy.JPG
DSC_4001 - Copy.JPG
I carried on round the pond checking out the habitat thinking how good it looked for Commas but finding more and more Small Torts until eventually the sun headed back in, the cool air hit and I was back to watching birds again. At the same stand of reeds a male Reed Bunting was calling so this must be a territory and this was the same bird as earlier.
DSC_4007 - Copy.JPG
DSC_4013 - Copy.JPG
I was back round by the dry pond by the time the sun came out again and there was a Peacock basking in the grass where two seconds ago there had been nothing. It was joined by a second and a very brief Comma all taking great delight in the old dead reeds. What was a barren dull waste land all of a sudden holds butterflies. From here I made my way back the pond seeing another or the same Peacock again along with at least a further three Small Torts.
DSC_4040 - Copy.JPG
DSC_4055 - Copy.JPG
DSC_4062 - Copy.JPG
DSC_4075 - Copy.JPG
A large cloud now covered the sun and it didn’t look like there would be anything but the slightest break for a while and so I thought it best to head home and salvage some Brownie points for another day. As I was walking back long the bank the briefest break in the cloud produced a Small White. The sun was out for now more than a minute or minute and a half and in it danced a Small White. What was even more striking was as the sun disappeared the White just dropped like a stone down into the tangle of vegetation. I had a rough idea where it was and so worked my way round and used animal (Rabbit?) tracks to work my way into the vegetation without trampling and there it was hunkered down.
DSC_4110 - Copy.JPG
DSC_4126 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

I particularly like that first Small White, Wurzel. Perfect delicacy and such a pure white colour. And as ever, I envy you your Tortoiseshells! :)

Dave

jenks

Post by jenks »

A lovely Small White, AND a Ladybird keeping him company !

Its easy to ignore how beautiful Peacocks are. Familiarity breeding contempt and all that, but your photos bring out their beauty.

My own butterfly season got started over the weekend with Small Tort, Peacock, Small and Green veined White, and Orange Tip seen at Kenfig NNR, and Speckled Wood, Brimstone, and Grizzled Skipper seen at Merthyr Mawr dunes. And Holly Blue in Cathays Cemetery, Cardiff. Cemeteries provide amazing cover for butterflies and migrant birds. You just have to ignore the odd looks of people passing as you wander around with a pair of binoculars !

Jenks.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great shots Wurzel, looks like Spring has arrived at last :D Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”