Katrina

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Katrina

Post by David M »

Wonderful! What a November day you had!

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Once again lovely shots Katrina, :mrgreen: Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Katrina,

Many thanks for the compliment on the Snake image.
Good to hear from you.

Trevor.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Katrina

Start of the Season

Post by Katrina »

8 days ago I saw my first butterflies of the year - 2 Brimstones seen from the car.
Yesterday I went to Mill Hill where I met people including Colin who has seen Grizzled Skippers - I saw one when I arrived but no further.
Today after seeing Neil's Orange-Tip photos I went out and saw one. I went back to Mill Hill and had 2 sighting of Grizzled Skippers but possibly the same one. I also saw this caterpillar I was hoping someone could identify for me.
Attachments
DSC00173.jpg
DSC00106.jpg
DSC00176.jpg

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Katrina,
Well done with the Orange Tip. My local site for them has yet to produce.
I Went to Mill Hill this morning and found plenty of Small Tortoiseshells, but little else.
Lovely images in your diary, hope to see more.

Best wishes,
Trevor.

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

I must have just missed you, I went just after lunch. There were a lot of Peacocks at that time including a group of five chasing each other, a couple of Tortoiseshells and Brimstones.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Class Orange-tip shots Katrina :mrgreen: My usual place hasn't thrown up any yet but soon hopefully...

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Wonderful stuff, Katrina. This species has been slow to get started so far this year but I expect they'll pick up momentum during the next few days.

With any luck most of us should be seeing them by the middle of next week.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shot's Katrina of the Orange Tips, :mrgreen: none our way yet :) Goldie :D

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

I agree some lovely Orange Tip photos Katrina, I'm looking forward to seeing some, I didn't find many last year.

Might see you out & about during the spring.

All the best

James

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Lovely Orange-tips Katrina, still looking for my first one this year, only a matter of time now.

I'm not sure but I'm tempted to say your caterpillar is a Grass Eggar Lasiocampa trifolii

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Wurzel, David and Goldie.
Looking forward to bumping in to you at some point James.
Thanks for the possible ID Bugboy some one else suggested that to me as a possible ID.

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Yesterday I went to Mill Hill early. I eventually found a Grizzled Skipper warming up. Several Peacocks around but it was surprisingly quiet considering the sun.
Attachments
DSC00216.jpg

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Hi Katrina. Hope you are well. I think your larva is a young Oak Eggar. These are quite common on the Sussex Downland. The Grass Eggar is thought to be extinct in West Sussex so it is very unlikely!! I've seen several Oak Eggar larva feeding on Bramble, they are enormous when fully grown. The adult moths are often seen flying fast during the day. Hope this helps.

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Bob, very helpful.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The Grizzlie shot is a beautifully composed image Katrina - I can never seem to get that type of view, perhaps I need to take a step back next time I find one :)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

That's a great shot of a Grizzled Skipper Katrina :mrgreen: Goldie :D

Katrina

A Butterflying day out

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Wurzel and Goldie, it helped that the Grizzly was very obliging.
This morning me and my sister went to Chantry Hill at dawn. We didn't manage to find any roosting butterflies but saw a short-eared owl from the car park.
We then had a quick stop at Pulborough Brooks and saw one Orange-tip, some Brimstones, and a blue damselfly.
Onwards then to Heyshott where I saw my first Dingy Skippers of the year, my first Dukes and my first Green Hairstreak. Also seen were one Orange-tip and one Small Tortoiseshell in the lane, several Brimstones, one Red Admiral and Grizzled Skippers. On the way back while stopped at a temporary traffic light in Pulborough I saw my first Holly Blues of the year.
Attachments
DSC00365.jpg
DSC00427.jpg
DSC00428.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

That Duke of Burgundy on the Hawthorn is a sensational image.

Well found/done.
Trevor.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Why can't I ever find them posing like that :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”