essex buzzard

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: essex buzzard

Post by Padfield »

Wonderful shots from the Cairngorms, Buzzard. I camped with a friend a couple of times near Kingussy when I was a schoolboy, looking for many of the same species you have been seeing, though there were no white-tailed eagles then! Nor was it possible to get such brilliant photos then, without thousands of pounds worth of equipment. I think we only got one decent view of capercailie, when one exploded out of the ground like a panicked turkey a few metres from us. We did see ptarmigan, up Cairngorm itself, though I'm not sure about the Ptarmigan restaurant. I tried to sign a petition against developing the area as a ski resort but my hands were so cold I couldn't write my name. Perhaps that was the one signature they were lacking ...

Guy

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

Whilst the Gulls in the Lossiemouth picture all look to be alone I find myself fascinated by the groups of Wigeons! What are the ties that bind? I do like to see them; preferring I think the colouring of the fenales to that of the males.We have Wintering Wigeoons locally on the Thames/Marshes. I think that young Gulls will always be a mystery ...

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Could be,Guy! It must be said,though,that much effort has been made tourism responsible,and while there is a 'right to roam' anywhere in Scotland, people are discouraged to go walking around at the top during the breeding season- there is no access onto the Cairngorm plateau from the restaurant,for example. Its also possible for us to get to the wildlife at this time of year,which we couldn't do otherwise. It's a mixed blessing but,judging by what we saw, the wildlife doesn't seem to mind.

Mike we get wigeon in number on the Essex coast in winter, I can certainly identify all the gulls as adults but the young ones, they are a bit of a challenge!

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

So we come to the last day. Unfortunately this was the one cold dull damp day. We headed to the Black Isle to do a bit of twitching! Starting at Newhall point, where an American wigeon has been wintering with many wigeon and waders. Some careful searching turned up the rare bird,a nice male. Then on to Dingwall where a ring billed gull, the American version of our common gull,has been present for several winters. With local knowledge of our guides,we found it-on a roof between Ross county football ground and Tesco! A loaf of bread and some of our lunch tempted it down,where we compared it with the common and herring gull so-twitching has never been so easy!

Several kites were seen. They were introduced here after 1989 but,in reality this was a poor choice for an introduction for, while they are fairly safe here,the Black Isle is virtually surrounded by grouse moors where,even today, bird of prey persecution is rife. This explains why kites here have stuck at around 50 pairs,when the Chiltern population, introduced at the same time has built to over 1000 pairs,despite comparable breeding success. When young kites leave they have nowhere safe to go.

A large raft of several hundred scaup were on the moray firth.

With a free afternoon,we all agreed we would have one more try for capercaillie. So another two hour walk in the rain. Although our guide spotted a female for a split second,we all missed it,and left empty handed. While unfortunate, it does show how hard it is to find capercaillie now. Sadly,it was time to head to the hotel for the last time disappointed, but we all agreed it was worth one last try.
Attachments
American wigeon in poor light
American wigeon in poor light
image.jpeg
Large scaup raft
Large scaup raft
Ring bill gull
Ring bill gull

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

After my first Peacock in Scotland, I saw several Small Tortoiseshell in the second half of March though it took until the 25 March to get my first picture of 2016.
Attachments
image.jpeg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good to see that you're off the mark - it has been a slow start to the season - mind you what with all those great birds from north of the border you've been more than compensated :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Yes I thought I would embrace the winter this year,rather than wait for it to be over!

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Last week I visited one of my favourite Essex woods, stour wood, part of the RSPB's stour wood and copperas bay reserves. At this time of year the site puts on a spectacular display of wood anemones,which form a thick and glorious carpet of white flowers in early April.

My first Commas of the year were present,and many peacocks. Bee-flies were seen. Buzzards and a kite were circling and a kestrel was nearby. In the sunshine,it felt quite warm!

Photos to follow.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Pictures as promised.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Butterflies,
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

On Wednesday we went to one of the best Spring nature reserves, Fingringhoe Wick near Colchester. This is man made habitat-it was a quarry until the 1960's. But since then it has scrubbed over,and the dense undergrowth has made it one of the best-perhaps the best-place to hear and see nightingales in spring. Usually I come in May-there are green hairstreaks here then,as well as lots of orange tips and other Spring species,and I saw turtle doves here last year as well. But by then the growth is thick and nightingales,though easy to hear,are almost impossible to see. My early trip now was aimed at actually seeing these glorious songsters.

Leaving the car park,we heard them immediately. Soon after we had our first sighting,in an area where several newly arrived males were singing. Walking around,several more were seen but,half hidden,they made poor photo opportunities. Then,in an almost magical moment,one appeared on top of a young oak and started to sing-in full view! :D

Adders were active in the morning sunshine,as were peacocks and commas. Chiffchaff and blackcaps were singing and,as we were walking around,a nice male showed well for a photo.

After lunch,off to Holland haven,where a rough legged buzzard has been spending the winter. After my luck with the great grey shrike a few weeks ago,I fancied my chances. Several meadow pipits were doing their lovely song display flights and marsh harriers were seen. Then,after about an hour,a distant speck was soaring and hovering. Could well have been it,but was too far away to be certain,as buzzards soar and hover as well. Stayed another hour but no more sightings.

Finished the day at Abberton reservoir. Of particular interest here were several little ring plovers and some newly arrived yellow wagtails. Sand martins were also present. Pictures to follow.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Pictures from Wednesday,
Attachments
Adder male at Fingringhoe
Adder male at Fingringhoe
Nightingale
Nightingale
Blackcap
Blackcap
Yellow wagtail
Yellow wagtail
Great crested grebes at Abberton
Great crested grebes at Abberton
Little ringed plover
Little ringed plover

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

First time I've ever seen a Nightingale let a lone heard one, many thanks for your posting essex. Goldie :D

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

So,here comes UKB's shortest ever butterfly trip report! I often try to visit Cornwall in late April so,last Monday we headed down. However on arrival it soon became clear the butterfly season was running very late due to the cold cloudy weather in March and April. Where as last year I was watching Pearl-bordered Fritillaries, Holly Blues and Green Hairstreaks, this year I managed just 4 species: Peacock, Small Tortoiseshell, Comma and Green-veined White. I didn't even see any Speckled Woods- a species I normally see by the hundred here. And no butterfly photos!

With the lack of butterflies,I instead did some walking on the coast path and visited a couple of gardens. We did see the Cornish cough though. After some intermittent sun and near average temperatures,it gradually became colder, windier and wetter during the week.

It's been a rotten Spring so far.
Attachments
Pendeen lighthouse, Monday
Pendeen lighthouse, Monday
Cape Cornwall, Tuesday
Cape Cornwall, Tuesday
Penzance, Wednesday
Penzance, Wednesday
Lost gardens of hellegan, Thursday
Lost gardens of hellegan, Thursday
Bedruthan steps, Friday
Bedruthan steps, Friday

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I'm experiencing exactly the same thing Essex - will this dismal spring ever get any better? :( On the plus side a Cornish Chough isn't to be sniffed at :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

No,it isn't,Wurzel. A Cornish chough ads excitement to any day,and it's great to have them back. Here are a few birds from Cornwall:
Attachments
Cornish chough
Cornish chough
Buzzard
Buzzard
Kestrel on mine stack
Kestrel on mine stack
Stonechat
Stonechat

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely pictures of Cornwall even if the weather is awful. Goldie :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Mark,

It looks like you made the most of your trip to Cornwall despite the weather, great photos :D

Cheers,

Neil.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Love the bird shots Mark, and the scenery, and the one of you which just sums up everything about this 'Spring' :lol:

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is a cracking Chough shot Essex :mrgreen: the best I've gotten is a few black dots against a seascape background, they are Chough, honest :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”