Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
MrSp0ck

Re: Pauline

Post by MrSp0ck »

You should have 5 White-Letter Hairstreaks flying by late April, at least they will all be within a few days of eachother so can create another generation. You have 2000 replies now to your diary well done.

When WLHs hatch they are in a very lovely condition, i photographed some years ago on Common Spotted Orchids, when we had to return some rescued ones to Chapel Bank Nature Reserve. The Colouration seems to fade quickly in the wild.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers A. - the cheque's in the post :wink: :lol:

Thank you too Martin - I am looking forward to seeing them newly emerged.

Today I stumbled upon this larva, which looked close to pupation, being attended to by ants which seemed to be plastering soft clay over it. Any ideas what it might be please?
P1760338ad.jpg
P1760438ad.jpg
P1760342ad.jpg
P1760212ad.jpg
P1760218ad.jpg

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

A Blue, could be Common, its not Chalkhill or Adonis.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

You might be spot on Martin. My initial thought was Green Hairstreak but of course they over-winter as a pupa. It is an area where Green Hairstreaks are readily seen but the same can be said of Common Blue at this venue. It was fascinating to watch as the ants (at least 6) seemed to be putting clay on the larva. A few more shots - just because I found it interesting and the camouflage as usual was fantastic :D
P1760266ad.jpg
P1760396ad.jpg
P1760408ad.jpg
P1760425ad.jpg
P1760444ad.jpg
Despite continual efforts I have failed miserably to get a butterfly photo to post in my diary so far this season (the worst on record for me), having seen only 2 Brimstones so far. Looking through previous photos I was surprised to see I took these (a few years ago) on the 11th April and 3rd August respectively. Hopefully it won't be too long now ......
DSC03179ad.jpg
DSC04623a.jpg

Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

Hello: the weather doesn't seem to be improving down here at least but hopefully you will be able to add to your two Brimstones very soon and the poor start will be competely forgotten ...

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Mike - for an hour this morning on Noar Hill the sun shone, there was only a light breeze, there were bees, beetles and birdsong; in fact, it was lovely except for the fact that I did not see one single butterfly to add to my total of 2 Brimstones - very strange! Nevertheless, I was able to re-find the Common Blue larva - I am sure Martin is correct in suggesting this ID. It had moved about 5cm and was very well disguised, only the continued ant activity giving away its location. I really wish that I understood what was going on here. In the first shot below (which I took yesterday), the ant on the left is carrying a lump of clay which it then sort of patted onto the larva. After watching again today I am really none the wiser but a few shots anyway:
P1760277ad.jpg
P1760542ad.jpg
P1760551ad.jpg
P1760563ad.jpg

I have heard of ants obtaining secretions from larva but I am confused as to where the chalky soil fits in and a search on Google has revealed nothing :?

MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

One reason could be to make the larva look like it has been predated and these are cocoons of the wasp larvae, so their prized blue caterpillar is left alone by wasps and flies. Small Blue larvae are protected by ants, to keep wasps and flies away.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

You may only have seen a couple of butterflies this year so far but your certainly made up for it with your WLH cats and this fascinating Common Blue/ant behaviour :). There's always something going on as long as you look for it!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I noticed that you've seen 'only a few species' so far this year - but if you take the juveniles into consideration you're miles ahead of the rest of us! :lol: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Pauline, back again :D After the miserable weather and having company for a few days I'm a bit like you for the Butterflies, my sickness has finally gone now so back to normal hunting the Butterflies. Goldie :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

That sounds quite feasible Martin. In fact, when I first spotted it I thought it had been predated until I took a closer look.

You're absolutely right Buggy and that's one of the reasons your diary is one of my favourites, including your interest in behaviour. Would you believe, when I found the Common Blue I was looking for Duke pupa :lol: :roll: Needles and haystacks spring to mind but as the site is on my doorstep ......

It's a good job I currently have this obsession with immatures Wurzel or I would be feeling quite despondent at chalking up only 2 Brimstones. Honestly, Saturday we had hailstones, last night rain and today thunder!!! Never mind, it'll be summer soon.... :lol: :lol:

Glad you're up and running again Goldie. Fingers crossed, it won't be too long before the weather improves.

I am aware that my Glanvilles are growing and changing and therefore need to be photographed :lol: . These cats are quite extraordinary and unlike any other cats I have reared (I surprised myself this morning when I realised I have reared 12 species!!!! Never set out to do that). They are incredibly difficult to photograph for a variety of reasons, not least being that they won't stay still and tend to hang out on the mesh!! I now have a few in their final instar and what fine cats they are - black and furry with red heads and feet - very smart. I hope to get a few more shots before they pupate but in the meantime ......
P1760593ad.jpg
P1760733ad.jpg
P1760630ad.jpg
P1760706ad.jpg
P1760622ad.jpg
P1760681ad.jpg

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Pauline I'd love to see your 12 species some of which I've not seen yet on my adventures, your doing great with the rearing, the Glanvilles I think seem very interesting and I can't wait to see the end product. Goldie :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Goldie - not all from this year but hopefully there will be some for you to see.

Early today I thought it was about time I checked my WA's again. Last year they were active and eating on 1April but I found them still safely tucked up. It was hard to get any sort of shots as they are right at the back of the cage at an awkward angle so the camera had to be hand held and I was impersonating a contortionist:
P1760773ad.jpg
Now we might not have had much of a Spring but today Summer arrived. With wall to wall sunshine I decided to check the WA again and managed to catch him as he came out for his first meal this year. He is so tiny and so cute and because I was reluctant to move the plant around this was all I could get:
P1760850ad.jpg
P1760870ad.jpg
P1760875ad.jpg
So, almost 2 weeks later than last year!

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

It's great Pauline how the cats fit in so well on the plants , melting into their back ground amazingly so you've to really look so closely to see them, no wonder with my eyes I don't pick them out. :D Goldie :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I don't think it's your eyes Goldie - I think we all have difficulty spotting some of these tiny insects when they are so expertly camouflaged - in fact, I have even started to carry a hand lens with me :lol:

Despite a chilly night last night I found a fair selection in the moth trap this morning, a few of which I have never seen before. These Brindled Beauties are just as the name says. They are gorgeous and look like golden velvet:
P1760921ad.jpg
P1760929ad.jpg
P1760965ad.jpg
This next one, well, I originally thought it was a Dotted Border but after looking at the book I now believe it is an Early tooth-striped:
P1760915ad.jpg
A gorgeous charismatic and quite distinctive Hebrew Character was next to be uncovered:
P1760957ad.jpg
I'm not really sure about this next one, simply because of its colour which seemed very orange. I initially thought Chestnut but I am now veering towards Common Quaker because of the markings:
P1760964ad.jpg
P1760951ad.jpg
I am guessing that this last cluster are variations on the theme of Clouded Drab, but how anyone could call them drab is beyond me as the variation is staggering. In fact, I am even wondering if one of these could be a Lead-coloured Drab? Any help welcome.
P1760960ad.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great Moth shots Pauline. Those Glanville Cats are real class too - the punks of the caterpillar world :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Some great images there, Pauline. You seem to be a full-time butterfly nurturer at the moment. I hope as many of these early stages as possible make it to maturity.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Pauline, your Moth shots are great, it's strange these early Moths are all similar in colour and they melt into their back ground like the Cat's, nature is a wonderful thing :D Goldie :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thanks Wurzel - I do find the ID's quite problematical still. As Goldie states, many of them look so similar and I find myself pouring over books until I've got a headache :roll: :lol: Hopefully I'll improve with more experience - and yes, those Glanville cats are something else :lol:

Thank you too David. What a great life that would be if I could spend all day indulging in my hobbies :D . I'm glad to see that you are now getting more butterflies in your neck of the woods - and some great shots there too, especially the Brimstone. Who would have thought that my first photo of a butterfly would be of a Duke - yes, they're out :D
P1770332ad.jpg
P1770333ad.jpg
P1770347ad.jpg
P1770350ad.jpg
As you say Goldie, nature is wonderful. Who would have thought that after all the dreadful weather we have had that it would only take a couple of days of sunshine and things are almost back on track!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Wow what a way to start! :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”