essex buzzard

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: essex buzzard

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots of the Seal pups essex, I didn't know they arrived on the beach there, I always think of them further North for some reason, Goldie :)

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Hi Goldie,while seals are common in the north,they turn up at several beaches in the south,too. I have also seen grey seals on beaches in Cornwall,though not in such numbers.

David,Horsey Beach is closed while the seal pups are present,with signs asking people to keep to the dunes while walking dogs, for example. For their own safety as much as anything else,as the mothers can be quite defensive of their young.

It may be December,but it's still autumn. November was dominated by dull,mild weather,but today the sun shone for a change,setting of the late autumn colours. While walking this morning,i found the strange earth-star fungus in the picture below.
Attachments
earth star etc 001.jpg
earth star etc 002.jpg
earth star etc 003.jpg

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

The leaves have long gone around here essex, Gone with the wind, you might say, :D the storms have been horrid, we woke up this morning and the window sill in the kitchen and top of the unit was full of water, nothing to what Cumbria is supposed to get today :roll: Goldie :)

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

While we have avoided the terrible flooding in northern England and Wales,and southern Scotland, mild south-west winds have brought relentless dull,grey skies to the south so far this winter. For example,London recorded just 28 hours of sunshine in November. This compares with 48 hours in Edinburgh,and 53 hours in Manchester. The average for London is 70 hours.

But on my local walk on 28 December,the sun came out,and many signs of spring were already evident. There are still a few autumn leaves around,too. Hazel catkins were out,the first primroses were in flower,and first new hawthorn leaves were starting to show. In December!
Attachments
dec 28 ukb 002.jpg
dec 28 ukb 001.jpg

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! essex, I'v got Snow Drops in my garden which is very unusual up here in the North at this time of year Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Although interested in birds,especially during the winter,I don't usually go for twitching. However, this year a great grey shrike has spent the winter at Heybridge Basin,near Maldon and,a couple of weeks ago I got the chance to go and see it.
Attachments
image.jpeg

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Welcome to spring. We have survived the winter, and a rather strange winter it was. December was,as we all know, very mild and wet and I was still seeing bumble bees in my garden in January and the first hawthorn leaves and myrobalan plum bloom were opening. Everything seemed set for a very early spring. But then temperatures dropped. So much so that in March they were below average, at least in the south. This weekend,it has reached 15c, the first time since Christmas. This time, Spring really is here :D

David M

Post by David M »

That's a stunning bird, EB. No wonder you took time out to go and see it.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks Dave. Never seen one before and to see it in Essex too is a double bonus. Lucky it was a long stayer!

In early March I took a holiday north of the border,to see some of the classic wildlife of Scotland, staying at Nethy Bridge in the Cairngorms. Met up with a group there, 11 of us in all.

It was to early at the Ospreys centre for ospreys but this a great place for crested tits. Lots of other birds on the feeders and one of the group fed a coal tit from the hand! After enjoying the activity there,we headed for the ski centre. Being a Sunday it was busy,but the snow buntings were unconcerned,feeding at the picnic tables.

We then visited a couple of nearby quieter carries to search for two iconic species which turn white in winter- mountain hare and ptarmigan. Never seen the hare before and I was surprised how many there were here. They were one of the highlights of the holiday. Several white ptarmigan were present to, quite unconcerned by all the people.

Time was ticking so,after some photo stops we returned to the Caledonian pine forest to finish the day looking for crossbills. No luck with those,but we returned to the hotel delighted with our first day :D
Attachments
image.jpeg
Snow buntings
Snow buntings
Ptarmigan
Ptarmigan
Mountain hare
Mountain hare
image.jpeg
Tree creeper
Tree creeper
Crested tits
Crested tits

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots Essex, I'm especially envious of the Ptarmigan - my Life List has a massive gap missing all four Grouse species :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Smashing shots there Mark - my vote goes to the Mountain Hare :mrgreen: Sounds like a great trip :D :mrgreen:

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks everyone. Just when I thought this day couldn't get any better, after dinner a few breaks in the cloud revealed another thing I've never seen. One of natures greatest wonders. The delicate flickering of the northern lights in the night sky above!
Attachments
image.jpeg

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

An early start the next day saw us heading west. With deep blue skies, snow covered mountains and a thick frost in the glens, the drive to Fort William was truly spectacular. Heading west the black carrion crows turned into hooded crows . A roadside tawny owl and a fine stag Sitka deer were highlights. We passed Ben Nevis,resplendent white against the blue sky, and on to catch the Corran ferry. On the other side, we drove along the sea lochs,seeing Slavonian grebes, great northern diver and a lovely otter fishing by the shore.

After our hearty picnic lunch,we drove over the mountains,seeing distant golden eagles and goosander on a Lachlan. Then down to check into our overnight hotel, and out again,to a private garden where food is put out in the evening. As darkness fell the first of four pine martens,just yards away,were seen. Staying in the vehicles,we enjoyed these elusive mammals for 40 minutes, though sadly too dark for photos. Then back to the hotel for dinner.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Corran ferry
Corran ferry
Otter
Otter
Highland stags
Highland stags

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

The next day was dull and damp. This day saw our best chance to see the white tailed eagle. We had seen several golden eagles already,and several more today. We searched the hills all morning without luck,eventually reaching the coast, where Mull was visible across the sea. So we stopped for lunch,when we were joined by the white tailed eagle officer for RSPB. She showed us some wing and tail feathers,allowing us to compare golden and white tailed eagles. Suddenly,while we were eating,she shouted 'White tailed eagles'! Although a long way off,scopes were put up and a pair of adults were seen by all, sitting in the trees. Then,a golden eagle appeared and soared right overhead,giving a great view. Then,it was back to the Corran ferry and,after a stop to admire a smashing roadside blackcock,back to Nethy Bridge. Although fewer species,another good day.
Attachments
View to mull
View to mull
Juv golden eagle
Juv golden eagle
Black grouse
Black grouse

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

First Ptarmigan and now Black Grouse :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

And a distant pair of white tailed eagles.

Thanks Wuzel. More grouse to come.
Attachments
image.jpeg

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

This morning, Wednesday, the hotel bird tables were well attended,with many redpolls,siskins, house sparrows and chaffinches. One of the redpolls was very pink.

After a snowy start,today we searched the pine forest for capercaillie. These huge grouse have undergone a massive decline which continues to this day.,and are now in real danger of dying out. There is some evidence that increasing numbers of pine martens are having a negative effect on the birds. Despite much searching in suitable habitat,we failed to find any. So it was of to a riverside,the Spey,for lunch. Then we went to Coignafearn glen, where dippers,buzzards,kites and a kestrel were seen. Brown hare at the bottom,mountain hare on the slopes.
Attachments
Nethy bridge
Nethy bridge
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Pine forest sadly no capercaillie
Pine forest sadly no capercaillie
Lichen
Lichen

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

A glorious frosty morning saw us out before breakfast to visit a blackcock lek. This is where male black grouse gather to fight for the females. From a good distance,so as not to disturb the birds,we watched about 15 cocks huffing and puffing, a fascinating sight for those like me who have never seen this before. All against a backdrop of the splendour of the summit of Cairn Gorm.
Attachments
Blackcock lek
Blackcock lek
What a view!
What a view!
Cairn Gorm,with ptarmigan restaurant to the right
Cairn Gorm,with ptarmigan restaurant to the right

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I'm enjoying your recent set of posts, some interesting bird species I've never seen and some absolutely glorious scenery :) :mrgreen:

Some addictions are good for the soul!
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

For our last couple of days,we headed to the lowlands,to get our species list up,and also see some of the farmland birds that have declined in England. To get there meant a drive across the moors,where several red grouse were seen, the famous grouse! On the lowland farms, we found such birds as English partridge,tree sparrow,linnets and yellowhammers. We also saw a familiar bird that is a rarity in much of northern Scotland- a magpie. Reaching the coast,we found long tailed ducks, common and velvet scoters,eiders and early retuning guillemots and razorbills out to sea. By now,the sun was warm and,at Burghead,I saw my first peacock of the year!

After lunch,we went gull spotting and,in a group on a roadside field, Roger found an Iceland gull,my first ever! We watched this for some time, much to the bemusement of the locals! Then on to Lossiemouth estuary where lots of wigeon and waders including curlews,oystercatchers and bar-tailed godwits. For late afternoon,we visited a pig farm,hoping for new gulls,but there were no new kinds. We did add stock doves and fieldfares to our week list. Returning,the Cairngorms were resplendent in the evening light. Last day tomorrow.
Attachments
The famous grouse!
The famous grouse!
Burghead
Burghead
Iceland gull
Iceland gull
Lossiemouth
Lossiemouth

Return to “Personal Diaries”