Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Trevor

Post by trevor »

P1190523.JPG
GOOD FRIDAY ?...VERY GOOD !

In my wildest dreams , I could not have imagined what a cracking day lay ahead !.

By mutual agreement my weekly day at work was switched to today, the Guy I work for
is a genius !. For the farm where I am based has many outbuildings from which Small
Tortoiseshells were emerging as the Sun's warmth strenghened., and they were all over
the same meadow as the other day. A rough estimate of numbers seen would be thirty
to forty. Also seen, a male Brimstone and a Peacock.

On the way home I called in at Eartham Wood where I found a basking Comma, and
another Peacock.
Attachments
P1190521.JPG
P1190519.JPG
P1190520.JPG
P1190527.JPG
P1190526.JPG
P1190525.JPG
P1190524.JPG
P1190522.JPG

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Trevor
That's a superb crop of Small Tortoiseshells :D

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic shots Trevor, love the Comma on the sign, Goldie :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

Bird ID confirmation required.

This distant image was taken yesterday. I am pretty sure it's a Buzzard.
It is because of that forked tail that I have some doubt.

Can you help ?
Many thanks in advance'
Trevor.

PS. Click on image twice for a better view.
Attachments
P1190529.JPG

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Trevor.

Glad to see you are getting out. Your bird is a Red Kite (Milvus milvus).

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Only last week I made a similar wrong i/d but my circumstance were excusable (well, I would say that). I came over the brow of a hill and saw a raptor on a road kill. Being Scottish moorland, I assumed it was a Buzzard eating a Red Grouse. The raptor took off at my approach and as I slowed, I could indeed confirm the dead bird was a Red Grouse. I couldn't park safely for another couple of hundred metres by which time the raptor was a long way off. I aimed the camera but dismissed the bird as just another Buzzard.

When later I looked at my photos, I saw this:
16-03-17-236-RedKite-nr-Loc.jpg
16-03-17-236-RedKite-nr-Loc.jpg (3.9 KiB) Viewed 589 times
This was not traditional Kite country nor was it near any know colonies.

On a nearby Loch, I had just found two Black-throated Divers but it seems you don't advertise potential breeding localites of BTDivers.

Jack

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

The way that Red Kites have spread, since their various re-introductions, is remarkable. A few years ago, I would never have dreamt of hearing their calls over my (Oxon) garden and watching multiple birds from my window. Other raptors have spread too - I was watching a Buzzard being mobbed by Gulls immediately above my house the other day - it used to need a trip West to see Buzzards. Marsh Harriers have returned to Otmoor, and Ospreys call in at Abingdon Lock on passage.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Mark, Jack and Mike,

I have seen many Buzzards over the years, but a closer look at the image on my
computer set the seeds of doubt. Interestingly the Bird in my image was one of
a pair, both circling in a thermal, very Buzzard like.
The location of the sighting was about 4 miles north of Chichester.

Mike, I have seen Red Kites along the M40 near you, and at the Oxford services.

Thanks again,
Trevor.

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Last summer soon after arriving here, I realised that Ospreys are regulars over my house as they commute between fishing in the Findhorn estuary and inland breeding sites. The highlight was two in view at the same time. Other good garden ticks have been Whooper Swans not to mention Pinkfeet Geese in hundreds with the occasional skein of 1,000 plus

Mind you, last week I got excited when I saw TWO Magpies on the same day. As for Jays, just two in the past nine months. Jays are so scarce in these parts that they even feature on the local [reports] website.

Jack

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Four years ago when visiting my old [now closed] base of RAF Little Rissington near Bourton-on-the-Water, I was delighted to see that Red Kites - in quite decent numbers - have replaced the aircraft.

Jack

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A great haul of Small Torts Trevor and a nice Red Kite too! I saw one of those on Friday as well it was hassling an Osprey :shock: 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Wurzel wrote:A great haul of Small Torts Trevor and a nice Red Kite too! I saw one of those on Friday as well it was hassling an Osprey :shock: 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
:mrgreen: A kite hassling an Osprey..... now thats just showing off!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

An hours butterfly searching this afternoon produced half a dozen
Small Tortoiseshells ( all very skittish ) and a single basking Comma.
Attachments
P1200036.JPG

jenks

Re: Red Kites

Post by jenks »

"Wurzel wrote:
....and a nice Red Kite too! I saw one of those on Friday as well it was hassling an Osprey :shock: ".

On my way down to Bentley Wood in late May/early June in each of the last 4 years, I`ve seen Red Kites near the village of Burbage, just south of Marlborough on the A346. No longer exclusive to Wales, but I`m quite happy for that to be the case. They are a marvelous sight to see.

Good luck, Wurzel, in your quest for 50 species this year ! Might see you in Bentleys again.

Jenks.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Another Small Tortfest again today, but not as many as in previous visits.
I think many have now dispersed to new areas.
Also I saw my first Small White today, no photo unfortunately. For a little
variety Peacock put in an appearance, as did a particularly large Bumble Bee. :D

Trevor.
Attachments
P1200066.JPG
P1200072.JPG
P1200071.JPG
P1200070.JPG
P1200069.JPG
P1200068.JPG
P1200067.JPG

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

All these Torts are really making me :mrgreen:. Got a week off starting Saturday so I might actually be able to start my season off at last, 2 Comma flybys by April just ain't good enough!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Buggy,
Don't worry, according to the Met.office things are set to warm up
this weekend. We will then be in April so things should start to
liven up :D .
I have seen more Small Tortoiseshells so far this year than I saw in
the whole of last year!.

All the best,
Trevor.

trevor

Post by trevor »

P1200161.JPG
A fabulous Spring morning led to some plentiful Butterfly sightings today.
In fact the Butterflies were almost flaunting themselves before my camera !.
The location was the old railway in Hailsham, with four species seen, including
a non stop male Brimstone. Commas were plentiful and were mainly nectaring on Celendine.
I also managed a snatch shot of my second Small White of the year. I was particularly pleased
with one Comma's pose which afforded me an almost Hulmesque type shot ! :D .
One real disappointment so far this year is the total absence of a Red Admiral sighting.
The flora along the old line was looking excellent for the arrival of the Orange Tips
in a few weeks time.

Happy days,
Trevor
Attachments
P1200157.JPG
P1200162.JPG
P1200160.JPG
P1200158.JPG
P1200156.JPG
P1200163.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Trevor - I missed out yesterday and today so your shots were particularly envy inducing :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

A walk along the old Railway in Hailsham this morning produced my first
Speckled Wood of the season. Nothing much else on offer except for a distant
Small White.
Attachments
P1200211.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”