Sundry observations

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Jack Harrison

Sundry observations

Post by Jack Harrison »

Male Brimstones (in the spring) seem to follow definite flight paths, weaving in and out of gaps in hedge. Different individuals use the same flight paths. Male Orange Tips (limited observations) seem to do exactly the same. I presume they are looking for likely "hiding places" of females.

Peacocks have in the last few days been flying with a slightly different style with a great deal more gliding than earlier in the season, the flight characteristics recently being rather reminiscent of the delightful style of the White Admiral. I offer no explanations for this apparent change in behaviour of the Peacocks UNLESS it is mainly females that I am seeing now; they might have different flight strategy from the amorous males. I have only just thought of that hypothesis, so it needs checking out on next fine day (am I indeed seeing mainly females now?)

Jack
Martin

Re: Sundry observations

Post by Martin »

jackharr wrote:Male Brimstones (in the spring) seem to follow definite flight paths, weaving in and out of gaps in hedge. Different individuals use the same flight paths. Male Orange Tips (limited observations) seem to do exactly the same. I presume they are looking for likely "hiding places" of females.
That's exactly what I was thinking yesterday as I watched the Orange Tips on my allotment. They seem to be "patroling" more than flying...allways using the same routes, checking out the same clumps of weeds/flowers.

Martin.

Return to “General”