Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Trevor

Post by trevor »

The ever present icy breeze put paid to any Butterflies this morning.
However, it was not an entirely wasted hour or two, as I watched a pair of
Long Tailed Tits flitting about in an Ash tree. They proved very difficult to
photograph as they never stopped fidgeting about, but I did manage one
reasonable shot.
A nearby Robin proved much easier however !.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1190177.JPG
P1190178.JPG

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love the Bird shots Trevor especially the Robin :D Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

P1190226.JPG
JUST LIKE WAITING FOR A BUS !!

I have been keeping my eye open for my first Butterfly of 2016 for several weeks
and until today, nothing !.

The BBC local weather forecast said that the biting easterly wind would ease in
late morning, which it duly did. In an instant a Small Tortoiseshell appeared and
flew over one of the farm buildings and out of sjght.
I ran to the car and grabbed my camera, to search for this first sighting, and quickly
found a basking Small Tort, and then another and another.Three were later seen
spiraling in the air together.

In all I counted eleven Small Tortoiseshells , there were possibly more but the risk
of duplicate counting was possible.
Attachments
Note the Female? playing dead
Note the Female? playing dead
P1190230.JPG
P1190232.JPG
P1190228.JPG
P1190233.JPG
P1190234.JPG

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Very envious of your 'torrent' of Tortoiseshells Trevor. I have yet to see an actual butterfly and it's almost April :( . The weather here next week will be cold and cloudy - apparently :(

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Pauline,

No one was more surprised than me to see so many. As soon as that horrible cold wind dropped,
out they came. The temperature was 13c. I counted eleven, but it was possible that nearer twenty
were present.
Hence it was like waiting for a bus, wait for an hour then eleven turn up at once !.

Best wishes,
Trevor.

ingleslenobel

Post by ingleslenobel »

I envy you folks that arn't stuck in an office during the week!

millerd

Post by millerd »

Brilliant, Trevor, a splendid set of Tortoiseshells. :) Yes, it was a lovely day as seen through the office window... :(

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A cracking collection of Small Torts Trevor :mrgreen: I just hope that this year isn't going to be like last year with the weather never quite right :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Wurzel, Dave and Johan,

My deepest sympathy if you were stuck in an office or classroom yesterday.
Those Small Tort's. were hard won as I have been looking in vein since the end of Feb.
I seem to remember we had the cold easterly's at the start of last season. A lull in the
wind yesterday was all it took to produce the goods :D .

Wishing you all a great new season.
Trevor.

trevor

Post by trevor »

A cloudless sky, and sunshine without the cold wind meant there was only one
thing on the agenda today, a Butterfly hunt.
A slow walk along the old railway, with eyes everywhere, produced two male
Brimstones, my first of the year. This was a very late first sighting for this species
as usually some are seen in February.
The usual patience was required as males at this time of year rarely seem to settle.
Indeed it took an hour from first sighting to my less than perfect image. Please
enjoy it as it took some getting!.
Attachments
P1190305.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

trevor wrote:...The usual patience was required as males at this time of year rarely seem to settle.
Indeed it took an hour from first sighting to my less than perfect image. Please
enjoy it as it took some getting!.
I feel your pain, Trevor!! :)

Fair play for having the patience to watch it till it finally came to earth!

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Trevor. compared to a recent record shot I took, your Brimstone is superb.
03-20-891-GreyWag.jpg
03-20-891-GreyWag.jpg (29.06 KiB) Viewed 594 times
I knew it was a Grey Wagtail but a photo - however bad - saves a lot of description and keeps the county bird recorder happy.

Jack

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks David and Jack.
Unlike you David I still await the full set of hibernators, we've had few days of Butterfly friendly weather.
I have plenty of Bird images just as good as that one, Jack!.

Keep up the good work,
Trevor.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Nice one Trever, better than anything I managed today!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Well done with the Brimstone, Trevor. Really tricky to follow to ground.

I am really envious of your Tortoiseshells, though... :mrgreen: :) The dandelions are coming out here and are waiting for them.

Dave

trevor

Post by trevor »

A walk through a local woods today produced a most unexpected, and I should imagine,
rare sight. An Adder and a Grass Snake cosying up together !. I am not the world's
greatest fan of Snakes, nor am I particularly scared of them, But they do produce
a shock when unexpectedly stumbled upon.
Attachments
P1190328.JPG

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

What a great find Trevor and a fine photo too :mrgreen: . If I didn't know how much legwork and effort you put in I might accuse you of just being lucky :wink: :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is a cracking shot Trevor, I'm not sure of the chances of seeing that, but they must have been on a serious diet, the chances that is not the snakes! :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Amazing photo! Great find Trevor.

Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Excellent find and lovely photo!

Return to “Personal Diaries”