"Chinese Buddleia"

Discussion forum for butterfly foodplants, and butterfly gardening in general.
champ

"Chinese Buddleia"

Post by champ »

Or Buddleia Beijing as we call it.Has anyone grown this one?.A medium grower-not to vigorous in my experience.Lilac flowers that are produced late in the season.Even later with a few plants pruned just as the buds are breaking.A good nectar source for the late butterflies.
Pete.
Susie

Re: "Chinese Buddleia"

Post by Susie »

I don't know this one, Champ. I am growing several types of buddleia this year and am going to compare how they attract butterflies - that's if I actually get any butterflies into the garden! :lol:
Neil Jones

Re: "Chinese Buddleia"

Post by Neil Jones »

I have a small one grown from a cutting I got last year. It is less vigorous than the standard buddleia. To illustrate this. I had two pots. On with the beijing variety and one with an accidental seedling of the ordinary davidii. I had to destroy the davidii. It had grown fast and started to go into the concrete underneath!
Where as the other is still quite small.

There is some published research that shows that B. davidii has, it seems, become more vigorous and larger as it has established itself as a wild plant in Europe.
The theory is that plants released from the selection pressure of native herbivores do this and this is why some become so invasive.

Return to “Foodplants and Gardening”