Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Pauline

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic Pauline, that's the first time I've seen the emergence from an egg :o It'll be great to see it develop Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you so much David. It was amazing to watch and yes, it was really, really tiny. Just hope I see it again at some point as I've ordered a load of Wych Elm :lol:

You should give it a try Goldie - it's very rewarding and so interesting.

Well, I've been waiting quite a while for this moment and I could so easily have missed it if it hadn't been for a timely email from Martin alerting me to the fact that his Glanvilles were waking up. He quite rightly anticipated that my ones would be in a similar state. These were the 'goodies' I referred to in an earlier post which Martin so kindly entrusted into my care when we met up at the AES. I was able to watch these cutest of cats emerge from their larval web and begin to explore their plant which had been prepared well in advance. I would be embarrassed to admit how many photos I have already taken but will post only a few here as there will be more to come at a later date for sure.
P1710764ad.jpg
P1710785ad.jpg
P1710791ad.jpg
P1710918ad.jpg
P1710970ad.jpg
P1720009ad.jpg

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Pauline, I tried it once not from an egg, my Grandson bought me some Painted Lady Cats and I raised them watching every day and taking notes, they went into the Chrysalis form and I waited patiently for them , when they finally started to emerge I was thrilled I took them down to Kent with me and let my Granddaughter let them out to fly away. I thought Kent had a milder Climate and would give them a better chance than in the North. I must admit although I was thrilled with the experience. I love to see what others do with their Cats :D
Your Cats are really cute, love the little red head and hairy body :D May be if I actually found some eggs and thought them endangered like you did I'd be tempted again, looking forward to seeing them again Goldie :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Well done Goldie! It's such a thrill isn't it? Trouble with 'finding' eggs, you have to scrabble about in wet and prickly undergrowth and spend loads of time in the cold scrutinising dead branches ...........perhaps not such a great idea unless you are totally mad like me :wink: :lol:

Today it was somewhat of a relief to relocate my 3 day old WLH, and my, how he has grown :D
P1720080ad.jpg
P1720079ad.jpg

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

That's great news Pauline, looking forward to seeing more of him :D As for scrabbling about in undergrowth, I save that for Summer :lol: Goldie :lol:

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

4 days old yesterday but today seems to have gone AWOL so I'm getting a bit concerned. Hopefully just too well camouflaged but still a worry ...........
P1720088ad.jpg
P1720093ad.jpg
P1720124ad.jpg
Strangely, no movement yet on the other eggs. Perhaps they are not viable - or just too early.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

It may be growing but it still seems ridiculously tiny! :shock: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

It seems Okay Pauline, tiny but surviving( hope fully) keep us posted Goldie :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Wurzel, Goldie - thanks for your comments. You wouldn't believe how tiny this cat is even at almost a week old. I did in fact locate him again yesterday so here he is at 5 days old: (he has since disappeared again!)
P1720168ad.jpg
P1720225ad.jpg
My 2nd WLH cat emerged yesterday and again I was able to watch the process. It seems to take some time - between 60 and 90 mins to chew its way out- giving me time to spot the activity and get the camera ready.
P1720349ad.jpg
P1720351ad.jpg
P1720358ad.jpg
P1720408ad.jpg
P1720422ad.jpg

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Hi Pauline, you are getting some wonderful records of these early stages. They are also a tribute to your technique with the Lumix FZ camera.

Mike

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you so much Mike - I really appreciate that. I hope by now you have managed to throw off that bug.

I have given the Hairstreaks numbers rather than names. Given that no. 2 only hatched yesterday I wasn't expecting to see him again for a few days. It therefore took me by surprise to catch a glimpse of him today in the centre of a tiny bud, munching away. I didn't have the tripod to hand so these were hand held:
P1720623ad.jpg
P1720628ad.jpg
WLH eggs no's 3 and 4 hatched simultaneously today. I could only focus on one of them (what happened to multi-tasking :lol: ) so I have no idea where one of them is. Well, I have a vague idea that he might have scurried into the nearest bud which was just opening, at least that's what I'm hoping, as I couldn't locate him elsewhere. I shall post another set of shots later, when time permits.

trevor

Post by trevor »

There you are Pauline, Spring has arrived for you. WLH hatching and bursting buds, can't be bad !.
Lovely sequence.

Trevor.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Trevor. You were right all along about the weather but can you arrange another few days like this for me please? :D

Now there has been a lot happening on the immature front these last few days and as this diary is very much a record for me there have been more postings than usual, and fairly repetitive they might seem too. I have hardly even mentioned the Glanvilles and yet their numbers continue to grow as they come out of their little web which reminds me of a tardus. The latest count was 14 and they are very active indeed. I have not yet mentioned the BH eggs, the WA larva or the various moth pupa. However, before I turn my attention to them I am posting one more sequence of WLH no. 3 hatching. If I witness others emerging I have decided not to take any more photos as I have come to the conclusion that this is the best I can do - and as usual I wish they were better :roll: but both the camera and myself have our limits :lol: . It all kicked off at 10.03am this morning and I took the final shot at 11.20am.
P1720492ad.jpg
P1720507ad.jpg
P1720510ad.jpg
P1720514ad.jpg
P1720525ad.jpg
P1720539ad.jpg
P1720546ad.jpg
P1720550ad.jpg
P1720558ad.jpg
P1720570ad.jpg
P1720573ad.jpg
P1720575ad.jpg
P1720576ad.jpg
P1720583ad.jpg

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

You really are surpassing yourself with these WLH shots Pauline! You're gonna keep Vince very busy with requests for the website stock pictures :lol:

Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Don't worry about 'repetition', Pauline. These images are a joy to see.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Buggy, David - I am truly flattered by both your comments. I am always striving to do better and am rarely satisfied with my own work so comments like these give me a real boost. Thank you.

Mike has worked some magic on the images I posted and I'm sure he won't mind me sharing the result which provides a more comprehensive view of No 3 emerging:
animation1.gif
animation1.gif (808.79 KiB) Viewed 975 times

David M

Post by David M »

Love it! Great when two fine minds get together.

That larva is absolutely minuscule.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Some more cracking images Pauline :D I've just seen them on my new laptop with HD screen and they are fabulous :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

That's so clever, love it Pauline, Your photos are great and have given me hope that Spring can't be far a way,
( It's snowing here at present) keep the photos coming they cheer us up. Goldie :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

It's great, isn't it David? I was delighted when Mike sent it to me and the credit must certainly go to him.

I want one of those Wurzel! I haven't got a laptop and my pc is old and tiny. I'm glad you get a good view of my images :D

It is really clever, isn't it Goldie. Mike once explained to me how he does it but I could never get the hang of it :roll:

Well, storm Jake is now upon us and like you Goldie I have had snow, hail and gales today and I'm bracing myself for the almost inevitable power cut :( .Still, gives me a chance to update my diary :D . No. 1 had been missing for 3 days and I could resist no longer so yesterday I had a real good look at that flower bud and sure enough he was curled up right in the centre at the base of the bud. I left him undisturbed and checked again this morning - the 4th day since he has been 'missing'. With some careful scrutiny I eventually found him but these cats must be the master of camouflage. I thought the Brown Hairstreaks were good but these take the biscuit! I have ringed his position to give you half a chance:
P1720684ad.jpg
He eventually started moving which provided an opportunity for some better views:
P1720686ad.jpg
P1720705ad.jpg
Now, onto No. 2. - No. 2 emerged on 28th Feb and on 1st March, when he was less than 48 hours old he did a runner!! I was so lucky to spot him as he is still tiny but he was making his way down the clingfilm covering the wine bottle which was holding his branch. Either he was an adventurous little so-and-so or there was something amiss. When it comes to rearing I always think there are 3 main things to consider - keep them safe from predators, keep them at the right temperature and give them the right food. Sounds simple but it really isn't unless you are knowledgeable and experienced. On this occasion I reckoned it was a lack of fresh food causing his restlessness so I set off immediately for Cosham to replenish my supplies. On my return I managed to coax him onto a fresh branch with some buds but he was still reluctant to settle and paced up and down the stem for about 3 hours before he eventually settled on a bud:
P1720651ad.jpg
I checked him again this morning and was pleased to see he was eating in the centre of the same bud so here is No. 2 at 3 days old:
P1720725ad.jpg
I have not seen No 3 or No 4 since they emerged but I shall keep checking. No. 5 is yet to hatch.

Return to “Personal Diaries”