Wall - Favourite Photo of 2015

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 19

The penultimate week! I always approach this part of the series with mixed emotions - sad that the looking back and reminiscing is soon to be over but excited as the new season is in the offing :D The final set next week will feature the remaining species, 'Vagrant' (for all those lucky LTB sightings :mrgreen: ) and finally your overall Favourite Photo from the season that was 2015.

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Chris Jackson

Re: Wall - Favourite Photo of 2015

Post by Chris Jackson »

Thanks Wurzel,
When I checked my records for 2015, I was surprised to find that I had only kept one photo each of a male and a female. I can only suppose that I was focused elsewhere. :o
South of France :
Male
megera11 male Vitrolles garrigue 18 Feb 2015.JPG
Female
megera13 female P Bruyères 12 Jun 2015.JPG
Cheers, Chris
David M

Post by David M »

I took my only Wall Brown images of 2015 at Dan-y-Graig cemetery in Swansea on 20th May:
1WallB(1).jpg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Found good numbers of Wall, locally last season, particularly around coastal sites in East Kent,and in the Wye/Crundale area where these two shots were taken.
regards Allan.W.
DSCF1540.JPG
DSCF1545.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

Particularly like the first image, Allan. The butterfly blends in perfectly with the wood.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

After probably 20 odd years of not seeing a Wall it was great to re-aquaint myself with this pretty little thing and be reminded just how flighty they are! I chose the patch of downland between Eastbourne and Beachy Head as a good place to find them, based soley on it looking like a promising place on google maps! I spent a few hours stalking them once I found a sheltered sun baked path and managed a fair few pictures once they had calmed down a bit in the afternoon.
This one posed nicely and may even be an ab. with a few extra eyes on the forewing:
Wall male, South Downs Way, Eastbourne #63.JPG
I also found a few second brood at malling down but managed only one picture, but it brings a smile to my face as it epitamises their flighty nature and how difficult they are to approach in the heat of the day :)
Wall male, Malling Down #1.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Only a record shot but as it is the first time we have ever had one in the garden I'm not complaining!
Dsc03872.jpg
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I saw the Wall twice last year, both times at Southport Dunes , both shots were taken quickly has I came upon both unexpectedly, the first was 23rd May, the second the 30th August, Goldie :D
Attachments
Wall 30th August
Wall 30th August
Wall 23rd May
Wall 23rd May
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

There's only one place that I can reasonably expect to see these in South Hants, and that's where this pic was taken, I only saw them once in 2015 (9th August) and this is the only pic I kept.
IMG_8301-c-r-f.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Wall

This was my fave Wall as it was my first ever sighting of a mating pair and so could go in my ‘in cop’ collection. It was taken at Lulworth during a family trip in may and offered great consolation for missing out on a Lulworth Skipper.

As I was checking my usual Skipper hotspot there were several Walls around basking on the narrow tracks. All of these were jittery having been disturbed innumerable times by other walkers; capturing any shots was a tricky business. So I was quite relieved when one took off and flew much more slowly and landed only a short distance away. As I approached it seemed much bigger and from a short distance away it looked like it had damaged wings as I could see both an open fore wing upper and a lower hind wing at a different angle? Once I’d gotten even closer I was chuffed to find that it was a mating pair and not a struggling individual.
Wa (083).JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Favourite Photo's of 2015

Post by trevor »

These are two of my best ever images of the Wall Brown.
Normally decent images of this species are hard won, camera shy and speedy sums them up.
But at Windover Hill I found some that allowed close approach. Only occasionally would they
forsake their sunbathing for a skirmish with another Butterfly.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1160408.JPG
P1160408.JPG (53.58 KiB) Viewed 2791 times
P1160404.JPG
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I only saw a few Wall Browns in 2015, the first ones down in Cornwall in early June where there were a few first brood still around on the coast paths around the Lizard, and a couple of very flighty second brood down in Dorset in early September.

The best photo I managed was probably this first brood female,
Wall Brown - The Lizard 02.06.2015
Wall Brown - The Lizard 02.06.2015
Cheers,

Neil

Return to “Wall”