Holiday to Spain part 4

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Philzoid

Holiday to Spain part 4

Post by Philzoid »

So … at the apartment we had an early lunch of baguettes with various fillings ‘bits and pieces’, ‘weird combinations’ basically, trying to use up our half eaten packs of purchased food before flying back the next day. Then we set off in the car for Andy’s Beach.
As soon as we got our loungers and bedded in, the ladies were very keen to get on with reading their books while I was itching to get over to the dunes … sorted! 8)

The first area I checked out was the area where I’d seen the Small Copper and it didn’t take long to find myself another :D . The butterfly’s hindwings had a dark blue hue to them. In addition, it was visiting a plant which looked like the garden bedding plant, alyssum (which when I was a kid, just about everyone who had a garden would grow it in their lawn borders alternating with dark blue lobelia … but I digress somewhat :| )
A 2016.01.01 IMG_9863 Small Copper, Dunas de la Artola, Cabopino.jpg
Small Copper on Alyssum?
Small Copper on Alyssum?
The butterfly didn’t like me getting in close with the macro and took off, zipping about before eventually settling deep into ground cover plants. After that the butterfly then went walkabout but I didn’t see it oviposit. After a couple of minutes, it surfaced and went back to nectaring :)
C 2016.01.01 IMG_9336 Small Copper, Dunas de la Artola, Cabopino.jpg
D 2016.01.01 IMG_9872 Small Copper, Dunas de la Artola o Cabopino.jpg
E 2016.01.01 IMG_9874 Small Copper, Dunas de la Artola o Cabopino.jpg
Lovely little butterflies like Small Coppers can hog a lot of attention but it was time to move on and try and get a close-up shot of a 'Small White' as examples of this butterfly kept passing on by, keeping fairly low to the dune surface and occasionally dropping down into the flora. However, as on the dunes two days earlier they proved difficult to photograph, never keeping still for long and alert to any approach.
F 2016.01.01 IMG_9878 Small White, Dunas de la Artola o Cabopino.jpg
G 2016.01.01 IMG_9883 Small White, Dunas de Artola o Cabopino.jpg
Although my pictures are not very detailed from what I could see through the lens I’m 90% certain that they were all rapae not mannii.
As on my previous visit to the dunes, it was tiring work trying to keep up with the Small Whites treading through loose sand and with two DSLR’s hanging around my neck. So in the end I shifted my attention onto the clumps of Lotus creticus Broad-leaved Bird’s-foot Trefoil as this was the plant on which I’d found my Lang’s Short-tailed Blue. :idea: Some of the trefoil was in flower and I figured I might have a good chance of finding another Lang’s. In actuality it proved better than I expected as straight away I was into a male Long-tailed Blue (it wouldn’t be a proper holiday for me without LTB wouldn’t it Wurzel :wink: ?). My 8th species of the holiday :D .
H 2016.01.01 IMG_9886 Long-tailed Blue (male), Dunas de Artola o Cabopino.jpg
I 2016.01.01 IMG_9890 Long-tailed Blue (male), Dunas de Artola o Cabopino.jpg

But it wasn't one for very long as a female boeticus hove into view :D
K 2016.01.01 IMG_9896 Long-tailed Blue (female), Dunas de Artola o Cabopino.jpg
L 2016.01.01 IMG_9344 Long-tailed Blue (female), Dunas de Artola o Cabopino.jpg
In fact, there were numerous small lycaenids and the next one I focused on was female Leptotes pirithous (Lang’s Short-tailed Blue) looking to and then ovipositing :D .
M 2016.01.01 IMG_9902 Lang's Short-tailed Blue (female ovipositing), Dunas de Artola o Cabopino.jpg
I was in my element and spent the next 30 minutes taking pictures of these butterflies. Both were happily using the same food plant without displaying any territorial behaviour … the Yin and Yang of Long and Lang’s (I'll get me coat :oops: ). From what I saw pirithous was commoner than boeticus out-numbering it by about 3 to 1. On the website that Chris Jackson sent me a link to, it stated pirithous as being the more abundant (of the two) and my own findings appear to bear this out. http://diatheo.weebly.com/papillons-agr ... mbre1.html
N 2016.01.01 IMG_9911 Lang's Short-tailed Blue (female), Dunas de Artola o Cabopino 02.jpg
O 2016.01.01 IMG_9914 Lang's Short-tailed Blue (female), Dunas de Artola o Cabopino.jpg
P 2016.01.01 IMG_9920 Lang's Short-tailed Blue (female), Dunas de Artola o Cabopino.jpg
Q 2016.01.01 IMG_9926 Lang's Short-tailed Blue (female), Dunas de Artola o Cabopino.jpg
R 2016.01.01 IMG_9931 Lang's Short-tailed Blue (female), Dunas de Artola o Cabopino.jpg
S 2016.01.01 IMG_9941 Lang's Short-tailed Blue (female), Dunas de Artola o Cabopino.jpg
T 2016.01.01 IMG_9357 Lang's Short-tailed Blue (female), Dunas de Artola o Cabopino.jpg
U 2016.01.01 IMG_9959 Lang's Short-tailed Blue (female), Dunas de Artola o Cabopino.jpg
V 2016.01.01 IMG_9974 Long-tailed Blue (female), Dunas de Artola o Cabopino.jpg
Other interesting flora and fauna seen: -
Lang's Short-tailed Blue and Long-tailed Blue habitat
Lang's Short-tailed Blue and Long-tailed Blue habitat
Sea Holly an endemic plant
Sea Holly an endemic plant
Y 2016.01.01 IMG_9371 Small Copper, Dunas de Artola o Cabopino.jpg
?
?
One of many Goldfinches seen in small flocks around the dunes
One of many Goldfinches seen in small flocks around the dunes
Finally satiated with my findings it was time to get back to the holiday. A swim in the sea, more chilling out to the Steve’s music and a late lunch/early dinner of Paella for 4 on the beach :) . Then as the sun began to set we were treated to a wonderful sunset amongst a wide strip of Altocumulus clouds 8) . Pictures of the sky and more to follow in (final) part 5 :) .

Phil
Chris Jackson

Re: Holiday to Spain part 4

Post by Chris Jackson »

Some decent shots of boeticus and pirithous, Phil.
It's surprising what you can find on sand dunes.
No photos of the paella I suppose ? I'm feeling hungry now :)
Cheers, Chris
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Chris Jackson wrote:No photos of the paella I suppose ? I'm feeling hungry now :)
since you mention it Chris ...
waiter serving up
waiter serving up
This was the mixed version, with chicken; prawns mussels and clams and well as all the other usual ingredients. I love Paella :D . It’s making me hungry too and longing to be back :cry: .
Chris Jackson wrote:Some decent shots of boeticus and pirithous, Phil. It's surprising what you can find on sand dunes.
The dunes proved very fruitful for butterflies although as I mentioned in part 2a; butterflies seemed scarce there in September 2007 :o . Perhaps I just know how to search better these days :?

Phil
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Dare I entertain the thought that what I see in the paella photo is a portion for 1 person, or would this be one of the seven sins ?
Mind you, after running around the sand dunes looking for butterflies, it would be well deserved.
Looking forward to your next instalment, Phil.
Chris
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Chris Jackson wrote:Dare I entertain the thought that what I see in the paella photo is a portion for 1 person, or would this be one of the seven sins ?
You could be forgiven for indulging in a bit of gluttony on this holiday Chris but that Paella was for four ... and the waiter has already doled some of it out o the plates behind :)

More butterflies (and other stuff) to follow in the last post … but only one more (resident) species left

Phil

Return to “General”