Santorini, Greece Species

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Santorini, Greece Species

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Hi all

I will be spending a week in Santorini in August and I was looking online for a reference for butterflies of Greece and its islands. I can't find one though, does anyone know where to look? I was really after a list of species I might come across.

I have found this trip report from UKB member 55bloke from 2010 though, which is helpful start. :)

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4128&p=32481&hilit ... ini#p32481

Thanks

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Santorini, Greece Species

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi Lee,

I went to Santorini in May 2015 and it was spectacular, especially if you get a hotel with a view of the caldera :D .
A room with a view (Imerovigli)
A room with a view (Imerovigli)
I did not get any butterfly reference books, so it was just a case of walking along likely-looking paths.

There is a headland at Imerovigli (Cape Tourlos) which is good for plants and wildlife, but there are many steps.
Cape Tourlos
Cape Tourlos
I also strongly recommend that you do the cliff-top walk between Fira and Oia which should take around 4 hours. You will find some good spots along the way, including a hilltopping site for several species (including Swallowtail) near Finikia http://www.travel-to-santorini.com/maps/
Path near Finikia
Path near Finikia
Butterflies were only seen in small numbers and were usually difficult to photograph due to the terrain.
Species noted were:

Swallowtail
Lulworth Skipper
Large White
Small White
Bath White
Clouded Yellow
Red Admiral
Meadow Brown
Wall
Lang's Short-tailed Blue
Long-tailed Blue
Small Copper

A truly stunning place..............
Imerovigli and Firostefani from the Volcano
Imerovigli and Firostefani from the Volcano
...............but you need good knees :D

Vince
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Santorini, Greece Species

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Hi Vince

Many thanks for your detailed reply! Your photos look truly stunning. I'm very much looking forward to going.

This isn't a butterfly holiday as such, but I had already earmarked the cliff top walk to try. I will have a view of the caldera so am looking forward to a few sunsets.

Best wishes,

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.

Return to “Overseas”