3D Butterfly

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
MikeOxon

3D Butterfly

Post by MikeOxon »

As a distraction from the current weather, I was reminiscing about those images made up of apparently random dots that revealed a 3D image, when viewed with 'de-focussed' eyes. That was around 20 years ago and I hadn't seen anything about them for years but a Wikipedia article about 'autostereograms' jogged my memory.

Can you find the butterfly in the following image?
3D_butterfly.jpg
Click on the image to see the full-size version and then try looking 'through' the image by relaxing your eyes. With luck, you will see a green butterfly 'floating above the background. (I sometimes see a cluster of overlapping butterflies but the 'true' image is just a single butterfly.)

This is from a website about many fascinating optical illusions - see http://brainden.com/optical-illusions.htm If you are currently snowbound, spend some time tricking your brain with some of these extraordinary illusions :)

Mike
Tony Moore

Re: 3D Butterfly

Post by Tony Moore »

If you want to see really mind-blowing examples, take a look at the photomacrography site (www.photomacrography.net) and search 'stereograms'. Most are of the 'cross-eyed' type, which are a little more difficult to access, but well worth the effort. Some of the insect photography is also pretty stunning. Helps the dark winter nights...

Tony M.
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Mike

I am sure that picture is brilliant if your eyes work properly. Unfortunately I am colourblind so it does nothing for me :? Come to think of it, it probably does not do me much good out in the field either :lol:
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Hi Jack,

It's only a monochrome image (and not that great, really, - just intriguing) so you might be ok with it. It won't work for those with poor stereoscopic vision or only one working eye.

Mike
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

These things are much easier to see on today's large high resolution displays than they were on flickery CRTs in the 90s!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Mike I've stared at it and it looks more like a knitted jumper to me :lol: :lol: I'v taken a closer look and I can't see the Butterfly, so much for my eye operations over the passed few years Goldie :D
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Keep staring at it through all these snowy days of Winter and it'll suddently appear, Goldie :)

The trick is to look 'beyond' the screen. It can help to move right up close, until your nose touches the screen, and then back away slowly. I've now found a much nicer butterfly stereogram at http://www.hidden-3d.com/index.php?id=g ... ent_show=1

Mike
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Mike I saw the Monarch Butterfly in the your last posting ( hope fully it's a Monarch or I'll be worried) :lol: But I'll have to keep looking at the first posting Goldie :lol:

Just had another look Mike really close like you said and I saw the Green Butterfly its great. It's certainly 3D Goldie :D
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Looks as though the eye ops were worth it after all, Goldie :D Viewing these things is a bit like riding a bicycle - once you have the knack, it's hard to understand why you couldn't see them before. Glad to read that your snow has melted - let's hope for an uphill run to Spring now.

Mike

Return to “General”