Lesbos skippers

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Part timer

Lesbos skippers

Post by Part timer »

Hi

I took these in Lesbos in September this year (2 different insects in 2 different parts of the island). I'm vacillating between Pigmy and Millet Skipper for both. Collins guide isn't much help in terms of whether either is known to occur on the island.

Any thoughts?
Attachments
DSC_1868.JPG
DSC_1864.JPG
DSC_0029.JPG
DSC_0032 - Copy.JPG
millerd

Re: Lesbos skippers

Post by millerd »

Butterflies of Britain and Europe - A Photographic Guide says both are widespread throughout Mediterranean coastal regions and islands, including those in the eastern Aegean. It describes the same environment for both (very hot rocky areas) and then says they are not usually found together! (not very helpful). Unfortunately in the photos in the book they do look very similar and there don't seem to be any easy distinguishing features. You could have either one, or both!

Sorry - not much use. :(

Dave
John Vergo

Post by John Vergo »

Hi
Both of the two skippers are P. thrax (Millet Skipper), G.pumilio (Pygmy Skipper) is not present on Lesbos (according to Pamperis: The Butterflies of Greece) and in my eyes there is no doubt. Congratulation with that one, it is not easy to find, even at Lesbos :)
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

The first one is certainly a Millet Skipper. The second one is a little less easy to tell, but I would go for Millet. I saw both species in Cyprus this summer.
Millet Skipper
Millet Skipper
Pigmy Skipper
Pigmy Skipper
Part timer

Post by Part timer »

Thanks for all your responses. I'll settle for Millet.

In terms of it being difficult to see, the first just appeared on an ornamental shrub while we were standing outside our hotel in Skala Kallonis (which incidentally isn't in the rocky arid part of the island) and then obligingly returned to the same spot several times for photographs. Maybe it's just a case of waiting for it to come to you ....... :D
John Vergo

Post by John Vergo »

Hi Part timer
Which hotel did you used in Skala Kalloni ?? :)
Part timer

Post by Part timer »

Hi John, it was the Pasiphae. We were actually there on a Naturetrek birding trip. The butterflies were a bonus; 4 species of grayling, including Samos being another highlight.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

NickMorgan wrote:The first one is certainly a Millet Skipper. The second one is a little less easy to tell, but I would go for Millet. I saw both species in Cyprus this summer.
Hi Nick,

Can I ask where you were in Cyprus? I've been twice this year and have seen Pygmy but not Millet.

Best wishes,

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Hi Lee,
We were in Payia, near Coral Bay, in July. I travelled around a bit while we were there looking for butterflies with mixed results. I must get around to putting some details on my personal diary. The Millet skipper was in a dried up stream near the villa we rented.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Thanks Nick.

I did most of my exploring around Limassol. We did drive all round the island though went to Coral Bay (not a very nice fish meze, but a cracking sunset).

I went in July and November, photos to follow (when I've caught up).

Look forward to your photos.

Best wishes,

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.

Return to “Identification”